Ayr United, what now 2015-16

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was one of his biggest critics last season, was my vote for POTY this year. When he plays, we play.

This.

Much improved this season and has linked the play nicely. We need more athletic players around him to get the most out of his talent though.

I like Mikey - we are one of his shirt sponsors. You can't fault his fitness and total commitment and I thought he did well enough for us this season with less time spent at left back. If true, this news may be as much to do with the work he does for the Academy and in the community as it is for his football.

Trouble is I am not sure he is a good enough defender to cover for left bank in Division 1 let alone the Championship, and yet going forward as a left winger his crossing isn't reliable enough to make the most of his undoubted pace. We are going to have to play much more on the break next season and capitalize on the possession we have, and I fear he may not have the quality for the step up. If he stays i hope he proves me wrong!

My mate was in the club shop today , they told him that Mikey Donald also signed a new 2 year contract today

There was no mention of Michael Donald in the shop at any time today. 

Gilmour clearly has the technical ability to play in the division above. The problem has been that he hasn't really 'fit' anywhere. McCall should stop shoehorning him into the team by sticking him out wide; for every game it works well there are another three where you forget he's playing. Which isn't Gilmour's fault - he's clearly uncomfortable out there and wants to play in the middle. In the middle he takes up all the same positions as Docherty without offering the same defensive protection. Which is fine in a 4-4-2 if you're dominating possession, but we were rarely in that position this season never mind next season. He might fare better as one of two holding players in a midfield five, but unless McCall is planning to utilise him in that way then I don't see the point in retaining him.

Donald and gilly are two I'd have let go.

Donald isn't good enough although he tries hard.

Thought gilly was horrible in the playoff games when he played. Total panic, no composure shanking hurried shots from 30 yards when he should have been holding it up. All season for me he was the link and everything went through him. I thought he was the key and was my player of the year but in the big games against Dunfermline and subsequently the play offs he was awful.

Maybe in a less physical and less frantic championship he might just be the player he can be. I'm going to go with the gaffer on this one. Welcome back aboard Brian

Gilmour played well beside Docherty in the middle of the park, Doc won the ball, played an easy ball to Gilmour and he played it forward, Adams played further up the pitch. The injuries to both about the same time, when we were flying meant I don't think they played as a midfield pair for the rest of the season with Gilmour out wide.

Crawford came on to a game towards the end of the season and it became harder to justify Trouten playing, if Gilmour hadn't been injured I'm sure Crawford wouldn't have been given a chance. 

Donald and gilly are two I'd have let go.

Donald isn't good enough although he tries hard.

Thought gilly was horrible in the playoff games when he played. Total panic, no composure shanking hurried shots from 30 yards when he should have been holding it up. All season for me he was the link and everything went through him. I thought he was the key and was my player of the year but in the big games against Dunfermline and subsequently the play offs he was awful.

Maybe in a less physical and less frantic championship he might just be the player he can be. I'm going to go with the gaffer on this one. Welcome back aboard Brian

Yeah I'd of let gilmour go aswell. His passing for someone of alleged good ability is too inconsistent and he can't tackle. Feel it's a wrong move to keep him for a higher division.

sisten

Yeah I'd of let gilmour go aswell. His passing for someone of alleged good ability is too inconsistent and he can't tackle. Feel it's a wrong move to keep him for a higher division.

This for me.  He's too fond of the Hollywood ball, his crossing is inconsistent and he's weak in the tackle.  He can dictate the play if opposition midfielders stand off him, but deny him space and he's a passenger.  I think he's well short of the quality needed to survive in the Championship - problem is, that's true of most of the squad.

With a freshened up squad, full pre season behind them and the new season ahead, you don't know how the team will be. I know it is now a bit of a cliche, but look at Leicester, from one season to another.

We should all give the gaffer the time to assemble his new squad, trust in his judgement and see how we sit after the first quarter of the season.

We have just been promoted.

The gaffer made some strong decisions in team selection for the play offs and hit is through.

We must trust his judgement.

Fan or no fan of some or all of the players, let's not kill them off before a ball is kicked.

Let's get behind the team, they will need our support more than ever next season as it is going to be a very tough division

Gilmour played well beside Docherty in the middle of the park, Doc won the ball, played an easy ball to Gilmour and he played it forward, Adams played further up the pitch. The injuries to both about the same time, when we were flying meant I don't think they played as a midfield pair for the rest of the season with Gilmour out wide.

Crawford came on to a game towards the end of the season and it became harder to justify Trouten playing, if Gilmour hadn't been injured I'm sure Crawford wouldn't have been given a chance. 

We'll have to agree to disagree about that - I don't think they're a good pair at all. I don't see what Gilmour adds that isn't already provided by Docherty. If anything I think Docherty is a better passer of the ball than Gilmour (and a better set-piece taker too). His decision making is certainly a lot better with regards to deciding when to play a longer pass. Crawford seemed to me like an ideal foil for Docherty but he looked much more comfortable in a midfield five last season that allowed him more freedom than he gets in a 4-4-2. Shame we never got a chance to see how a five featuring both of them would've worked this season.

As an aside since you've mentioned him, Trouten's poor form this season is as much McCall's fault as it is Trouten's IMO. He's not a wide midfielder and it should come as no surprise that he struggled to play as one. The system at Brechin was pretty much built around him and suited him perfectly; McCall shouldn't have signed him if he wasn't prepared to implement something similar at Ayr. Instead he seems to have signed him on the basis that he was good with no real consideration given to how he'd fit in.

Archived