Ayr United, what now 2015-16

I'm actually quite happy Gilly has resigned. Can pass a ball and hopefully McCall will get the best out of him. Devlin is the key off season signing. He leaves on holiday tomorrow so the clock is ticking.

Let's man the airports

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually quite happy Gilly has resigned. Can pass a ball and hopefully McCall will get the best out of him. Devlin is the key off season signing. He leaves on holiday tomorrow so the clock is ticking.

Anyone know where he's off to?

Are the players still training tonight? If so you'd imagine a few breaking stories will emerge tonight.

Are the players still training tonight? If so you'd imagine a few breaking stories will emerge tonight.

Turkey, I think.

For every passing minute it becomes less and less likely that he will stay.

I believe he will be leaving us unfortunately.

I'm not a huge one for Twitter but his chat in the last week or so seemed largely positive about ayr next year was continuing to have a bit of banter with supporters. Of course, it could be that he's sub-sequentially been offered something else which he is considering.

Though as has already been pointed out, we appear to do a lot of our business on a Tuesday/Thursday evening. Either way we'll know by the end of the week.

I see a few Livingston players were released; Walker, O'Brien, Rutherford and McKenna and Praprotnik. Could any of those be on McCall's radar?

For the bulk of the team to be offered new deals means either McCall has lost the plot or a few that we don't want to go will be moving on elsewhere. The team can't progress without new signings and don't think we have either the budget or space to offer everyone deals whilst bringing in new additions.

We cleared some out in January and brought in loan players, Robertson was the only player to sign and he was free'd so at the moment the only senior pros we have are Donald and Gilmour, Campbell is pay per play and potentially Murphy, Devlin, JPM and Blakeman

Crawford, Forrest and Nesbit have stepped up from the Academy, It was either six or eight full time contracts at the club, Campbell is part time as is Murphy and JPM, So I think there would be room for half a dozen new players to come in, maybe more if any of the current squad knock deals back.

Assuming all re-sign, we need at least one decent center-half and maybe try and bring on McArthur and Muir, with both Donald and Blakeman, would there be any point paying for someone else to play at left back?

Midfield could be overloaded in the wrong areas but we need a ball winner

We only have two under 18 players signed as forwards and maybe a third if Preston returns, I would be delighted if we had a successful season with only those three up front but I would prefer a couple of more experienced options.

Oh aye......and a goalkeeper

I reckon he needs to sign a real tough tackling enforcer to help get the best out of the flair players. We don't have this type of player at the club at the moment so hopefully it gets addressed.

As for a keeper I'd happily take Cuthbert or Martin back, no surprises there

Muir, Donald and Blakeman can all cover at left back if need be, but none of them are a natural in that position. We definitely shouldn't be relying on any of them there.

Also, for what it's worth, Preston will only be a few months off 20 by the time the new season comes around. I know that's not saying an awful lot, and it's far from certain that he'll be back, but I've seen his age understated a few times now. Having a more experienced striker in the squad as well wouldn't go amiss, but Preston's at an age now that he doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves.

Muir, Donald and Blakeman can all cover at left back if need be, but none of them are a natural in that position. We definitely shouldn't be relying on any of them there.

Also, for what it's worth, Preston will only be a few months off 20 by the time the new season comes around. I know that's not saying an awful lot, and it's far from certain that he'll be back, but I've seen his age understated a few times now. Having a more experienced striker in the squad as well wouldn't go amiss, but Preston's at an age now that he doesn't need to be treated with kid gloves.

I think Preston is a standout at this level.

McCall looks like he is going to stick with his 3-5-2 switching to 4-4-2 which would suit Donald and Devlin out wide or at full back, although I don't think Donald is a particularly good fullback.

If we do sign another left back it would likely mean dropping one of the other left sided players and he's already offered Blakeman a contract, even if he was to play him in the middle, we have plenty of cover there.

I've been surprised by some of the offers that have been made, we aren't a club that can afford a depth of squad and any experienced pro signed should be playing every week. It could be that there are moves behind the scenes on a couple of the younger players or McCall thinks that 1-2 will reject new deals and it will all make more sense, but he has 6 months to put his grand plan in place for next season and he seems more organized than Roberts so hopefully we wont start our first pre-season game with a team full of trialists.

To be honest, I think we've over hyped him a lot. I'd like him to stay, but it's becoming apparent he probably won't. Don't get me wrong, he was our best player last year, but that's not really saying much.

We'll see soon enough, i wouldn't lose sleep if he leave.

To be honest, I think we've over hyped him a lot. I'd like him to stay, but it's becoming apparent he probably won't. Don't get me wrong, he was our best player last year, but that's not really saying much.

We'll see soon enough, i wouldn't lose sleep if he leave.

This, would like him to sign as he is a good player but not exactly a disaster if he doesn't imo

Also rumour on BBC that Alan Martin will sign for Hamilton Accies

Archived