Ayr United, what now 2015-16

Whatever grandad, the point is this - your club is dishing out a contract extension to someone who has done nothing to deserve it. Yes, the team stayed up but they were rotten for long periods and only finished in eighth because Stenhousemuir were in an even worse condition.

Your board should have been smarter and waited a few months to see who the team were progressing before making such a wacky move.

Geez, this is why I prefer our own forum. What's your problem - too quiet down Gladstone Road after your playoff drama?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty our results didn't match performances over the last 6 or 8 games, you'd be better concentrating on your competitors for avoiding relegation as we'll be nowhere near that end this season.

Bookmark in hope rather than expectation if you wish.

Again, you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I don't think Ayr United are going to get suckered into a relegation battle again this season - I think McCall is a good manager and boys like Nicky Devlin, Paddy Boyle and Alan Trouten were some of the best players in the league last term - but handing out a contract extension when he's done nothing to deserve it yet just seems a bit odd to me.

For what it's worth, I have no axe to grind with Ayr or their supporters, but I would approach this season with caution after the last three years.

I don't see a meltdown at all there just some decent points worthy of debate. Ayr fans get ecstatic every pre-season thinking this is the year and it ends up a damp squib you have to fancy them for a push this season though.

Have it on good authority that the announcement tonight is Big Ger and Joe Cardle.

I don't see a meltdown at all there just some decent points worthy of debate. Ayr fans get ecstatic every pre-season thinking this is the year and it ends up a damp squib you have to fancy them for a push this season though.

Have it on good authority that the announcement tonight is Big Ger and Joe Cardle.

Meltdown was a bit tongue in cheek :P

Not sure on Cardle, where has he been recently? McLauchlan is almost certain to join though. Only heard about the 1 signing today which would be Gerry.

Meltdown was a bit tongue in cheek :P

Not sure on Cardle, where has he been recently? McLauchlan is almost certain to join though. Only heard about the 1 signing today which would be Gerry.

Cardle was at Ross County last season. Not sure how he ever got the move there to be honest, the second tier was just about his level.

Cardle was at Ross County last season. Not sure how he ever got the move there to be honest, the second tier was just about his level.

Yeah just seen he had been released from County. Would again be another good signing for this division and in an area where we needed it. Obviously if it's true that is.

I accept FF's point, but for once, I feel the club are attempting to see beyond the end of their nose.

Showing McCall loyalty now might pay dividends down the line. Only the other day, the thought crossed my mind that if Ayr enjoy a good season a Falkirk or a St Mirren would sniff around the boss. He might leave regardless but as we don't have the benefit of hindsight, I'm delighted with the extension nonetheless.

Again, you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I don't think Ayr United are going to get suckered into a relegation battle again this season - I think McCall is a good manager and boys like Nicky Devlin, Paddy Boyle and Alan Trouten were some of the best players in the league last term - but handing out a contract extension when he's done nothing to deserve it yet just seems a bit odd to me.

For what it's worth, I have no axe to grind with Ayr or their supporters, but I would approach this season with caution after the last three years.

Our club has been run in a hand to mouth fashion for a long while now, last season was hopefully the culmination of that policy as League 2 is where you end up if you don't run your club with a mid to long-term plan, while I'm not totally convinced that McCall is the right guy for the job I am convinced that giving him and key players 2 year deals is the correct course for us to follow going forward.

What has Ian McCall done to justify a contract extension?

He kept us up by virtue of Stenny being worse, this could be down to the playing staff he inherited and results didn't really improve any on Roberts time. The players he brought in on a tight timescale were pretty average and are all away now.

His professionalism has rubbed off on a lot of the players and they were looking fitter and sharper towards the end of the season. The squad looked better organized but we were still getting easily beat most weeks, The lack of defenders and forwards from the start of the season and the quality brought in during January cost us big time.

McCall is now responsible for all the playing and coaching staff and there is no excuses for him now, the signings he has made so far, on paper will make us early favorites but as Daziel proved, signing good players doesn't guarantee success. But Daziel didn't seem as organized as McCall so hopefully that will be the difference.

I'd have liked to have waited a quarter of the season before giving him an extension but Cameron had his fingers burned with Roberts and extended deals and not being able to pay them off.

If Cameron hasn't put performance causes in to the contract and it goes wrong he should just gift the club to someone and never return.

Our club has been run in a hand to mouth fashion for a long while now, last season was hopefully the culmination of that policy as League 2 is where you end up if you don't run your club with a mid to long-term plan, while I'm not totally convinced that McCall is the right guy for the job I am convinced that giving him and key players 2 year deals is the correct course for us to follow going forward.

Clyde and Stirling are two exmples of how teams from big towns can end up in the arse end of Scottish football if they are poorly run for a spell and Ayr are not far behind them.

The stability can work one of two ways, McCall wins the league, we maybe sell one or two of the younger players and stabilize in the first next season or we are dreadful, don't go up, The fish pout McCall seems to be doing in pictures becomes more annoying by the week but we can't afford to get rid of him, the crowds dip under 500

Gerry confirmed on the OS.

McCall quote, "Gerry is a winner and would kick his granny out the way to win a football match.”

Reading his Twitter I don't think he would need a reason.

His twitter is funny as f**k, well it was last time I was on it

He was ok at Arbroath, nothing fancy but he will defend

the time he got grounded was a highlight

Archived