Ayr United, what now 2015-16

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm worried by the 'total clear-out' sentiment coming across here.

I want to see the nucleus of the squad maintained, and the number of 5 new (quality) players sounds about right. We need to keep an identity, and that comes from stability. There's also a really nice blend of youth in the current squad and that's also important. Hopefully doc, Crawford and mccrorie will stay and improve as players.

We definitely need at least one centre half but I'd like a further (maybe more flexible) defender. Experienced centre mid to bring on doc and Robbie and a creative type (maybe a winger but not necessarily).

I hope Moore stays but we need another striker. I'd keep Preston but it looks like he's off too.

Stevo has to go. As does mikey donald.

You'll need a better keeper than Fleming imo. He was awful the last time he played at Championship level, we brought in Chris Smith to replace him ffs.

You liked this wee joke enough to post it on two threads. Fair enough.

To be fair he's figured out how hash tags work this time. A couple of weeks time and he'll be using sentences.

#justkidding

#hewont

Kevin Cuthbert should be the most popular answer to that question.

Is the right answer.

The season we were relegated with one of the worst GA in the country? Only Dunfermline (SPL Cannon fodder for that season) (80) and East Stirling (88) were worse than us from what I can see

Cuthbert did get POTY that season I suppose, but can't recall how much of the shocking goals against number was his fault, as the team were pretty bad that year

Promoted teams have tended to underestimate just how much they need to strengthen to have a decent chance of staying up. Next season is a bigger one than this - as it is vital we stop being a yo-yo team. Going to be tough so some hard nosed decision making is required.

Fleming, Devlin and Boyle I would totally agree with keeping as starters. Will realistically need a whole new central defense although Murphy/Graham maybe third/forth choices.

Midfield we need most I suspect. Doc is the only shoe-in. Think Trouts is on a two year as is Forrest - I think they could do well on some of the better more expansive surfaces we'll find in the Championships so probably keep in the squad although not necessarily starters. Otherwise I'm afraid a total clear out, although it seems from what McCall said in his post match interview we may be keeping Robbie too - he will certainly need to improve if he is going to earn a regular starting place.

Up front, if we can get Moore I would sign him but otherwise I think we need to look for more quality. Preston maybe third or forth choice striker - he needs a top quality partner to shine and struggles to carry the forward line on his shoulders. 

Sounds harsh I know, and I love what the squad as done this season to get out of this League, but McCall will need to take the rose-tinted post-party spectacles off when it comes to who he signs. He has got most things right so far so I trust he has he plans already in place and know what he needs. Key season coming up - 'mon Ayr! In McCall we trust.

Midfield was out-muscled in the games against Stranraer.Taken as a whole they are too lightweight. To me Donald doesn't do all that much so he would be going.Preston will probably go back to England.Boss said he would encourage the club to stay part-time so would think he has suitable targets in mind if that is the scenario.

You'll need a better keeper than Fleming imo. He was awful the last time he played at Championship level, we brought in Chris Smith to replace him ffs.

And that was how many years ago? 6/7 by my reckoning, when he was 23. That's an infant in goalkeeping terms.

Craig Moore's been offered and indeed I believe provisionally agreed a new contract with Motherwell.

How was he for you boys last season then? Impressive but injury prone I presume.

He was great until the Cowden game where he was sidelined for ages. He came back and did really well. Could definitely play in the Championship IMO. 14 goals in 24 starts I think he's got. Just hope injuries don't hold him back.

Apparently the players are finding out todays whether or not they are been offered a contract for next year so we may find out later tonight who McCall is letting go and who he's trying to retain.

Cuthbert did get POTY that season I suppose, but can't recall how much of the shocking goals against number was his fault, as the team were pretty bad that year

His worst lapses were when people took speculative shots from thirty yards right through the lolocaust that was the defense and he didn't see it until it was too late. Otherwise he was excellent, as seen by his moving up instead of down after his contract ran out.

Speaking of, it's not as if Craig Sampson went to the juniors after leaving Ayr either. Keepers get a weird amount of stick.

Think you would be best to stay part time.

Naw. Next year's Championship will be an absolute bloodbath - Hibs, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Killie (hopefully), and most of the rest full time as well. Trying to do it on the cheap will just result in another season-long boabying.

Archived