Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

The ability to generate all matchday income (from all outlets....) beyond an agreed, annual fee would seperate any links of similarity between what we currently endure. Given that Shettleston only account for themselves presently, we wouldnt be relying on an in-house cowboy mob racketeering us to f**k just because we're dutybound to use only them......finding our own suppliers of everything from security to catering to necessary building work provides a platform to eventually become a serious party in the (potential) relationship. Squabbling about till takings from SC is smallfry in.comparison to what getting out of this fucking mess we're in would represent....the club shouldn't lose sight of this.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC has been banging that drum (very informatively it has to be said) in regard to a missed oportunity for the club, the area and for King. I've no interest in aiding that c**t's rainy day fund any more than anyone else, but something has to go there during the redevelopment....and someone too.

the problem for me is the board / chairman look at the ek shambles does anybody really think these guys are capable of delivering us a ground ? they have overseen the glencairn project and the East Kilbride omni shambles now it really does look to me that shettleston is going the same way that will be project number 3 down the tubes oh sorry forgot east Kilbride thistle remember that one too so that's 4 ground moves

Banter aside, I'm sure that every decent football fan wants Clyde to find a permanent home. Whether heading for a pretty run-down Junior ground is the way to go (and that's not a dig at Shettleston, Vale of Clyde or the Lang, it's just being realistic) is highly debatable. Is this with a view to remaining there in the long term? If so, none of them give much in the way of development potential, and Clyde can look forward to staying down with the rest of the entrenched bottom leaguers for quite a while, if not "for eva".

Scottish football is littered with the remains of established clubs who left their homes with nowhere to go. The Bankies, Hamilton, yourselves, Shire for example and, in my mind, it's a recipe for disaster if Clyde leave Broadwood with no long-term strategy in mind. Where do the club see themselves playing in 10 years - Shettleston? If so, then move and get on with it.

Despite it being a shite venue and one of the most uninviting places to watch a game in Scotland (location / pubs / officious stewarding / the feckin' wind / no entry to the social club!), at least Broadwood is a decent ground in terms of facilities and it's a pity that it hasn't been a success from that point of view. As an aside, it'll be interesting to see if a team with Cumbernauld in the name does well there.

In these days of local authority cuts (South Lanarkshire Council have been told to cut £36 million from their budget), it's extremely unlikely that Clyde will get any public funding to help them. NLC did that and, for whatever reasons, it's not been a successful use of their funds. What other local authority would look to support Clyde in this way after Broadwood?

Bottom line is, it'll be a minor miracle if Clyde get a move that will have most of fans happy, which is a genuine shame. Shettleston is certainly closer to your old stamping ground and it's a cracking wee Junior park with bags of character, but is it going to be any use for 600+ crowds? There's a helluva amount of work needed on it to bring it up to SPFL standard, I would reckon. And relying on a cut of the social club takings (unlikely) or pie sales to bring the club on, isn't much of a business plan.

It's a really tough one for the guys running your club. Unless someone comes up with cash that they are willing to throw at the problem without looking to get it back, I fear that your best bet, in the long run, is to remain at Broadwood. Which, I know, is a pish thought. If you do manage to get enough cash rattled up to develop a run down ground, Shawfield might be a better bet than anywhere else that's being mentioned. If that doesn't sit well with you due to the personalities involved, then that's maybe a bitter pill that you have to swallow. Can you realistically leave Broadwood and spend what little you have on Shettleston and then be thinking about another move in 5 years time?

For what it's worth, I really hope something decent comes up for you.

And that we pump you 5-0 in the rest of the matches this year.

There's always one eh!!! Excellent points one and all. The truth is though that Clyde are lucky to get two quid from every click.of a turnstile, get nothing from the utilities and are unable to.do.a thing about it. The gate from 5-600 crowds raising a larger percent going into the club cannot be underestimated....neither the possibility of raising external cash through trackside advertising. They have to start somewhere, and for most clubs this is their bread and butter...for us, having relied on the donations and goodwill of many but tired-out resources, it would be the jam and the marmalade too. In respect of community relations, Pol Pot would be seen as a greater galvaniser of people's imaginations than some of the quarter-wits we've given directorship to. Even now, me, a mere blue-collar observer, has put proposal upon suggestion to club officials about new, engaging ideas....and got nowhere. That said, and im not condoning 'giving up' on community relations, but its going to take more than another 21 years to shake off our tag as displaced nomads wherever we end up....so it really ought not to be a priority to bother trying. The Clyde support are dying numbers....in ten years, no matter which division we're in, there will be less than there are now. All the more reason to fight for every bronze nugget that we can, but not cutting off noses to.spite faces. ETA : the reddy was stricken in error. I'll do a QPSA and search a previous post of yours to make it up.

Does anybody know when it was Andrews last played against us at Broadwood?

(Just checked - and it seems it was only last season :o ).

He was absolutely dire the last time I saw him, and I wouldn't expect he has suddenly improved since then.

Was he not playing in the Lowland League or junior at the end of last season or the beginning of this one?

If true, this seriously could be the final straw for me - if he actually signs and gets a game.

What a joke!!

Hopefully just getting signed as cover as someone put it... No way will he start before Bolo.Smith or Marko,Fisher good enough as a stop gap so really we dont need andrews imo.....

One position i would be strengthing is the keeper as previously said, Give gibson games but someone with experiance ready to take his shirt wouldnt go wrong and keep him on his toes & off his line...

Roll on sat. Feel good factor is back

Archived