Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

thought Gormley did excellent at holding the ball up did feel we didn't get up to support him quickly enough not convinced about playing both Scott mclaughlin and Murray centrally would like to see brisbane or marsh in there

from what I have saw in the two games so far think we will be right up near top of the league

Agree totally only thing that is a we bit imbalance as both very good players but at the same job

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First 20 minutes we gave them far too much space, ending in 2 goals. Think we need to be a bit more adventurous next week and cause them a few more problems.

gormley looked really impressive yesterday but struggled as Higgins and Brisbane weren't getting up to support enough.

Agree totally only thing that is a we bit imbalance as both very good players but at the same job

Is that McLaughlins natural position playing the same role as Murray? I believed him to be a more attack minded midfielder when we signed him as he had a decent goal return for his previous clubs.

Is that McLaughlins natural position playing the same role as Murray? I believed him to be a more attack minded midfielder when we signed him as he had a decent goal return for his previous clubs.

not sure about the his attacking prowess in yesterday's programme only one goal in 31 appearances. But just felt like both were very deep at times allowing them some good space in the middle

First 20 minutes we gave them far too much space, ending in 2 goals. Think we need to be a bit more adventurous next week and cause them a few more problems.

gormley looked really impressive yesterday but struggled as Higgins and Brisbane weren't getting up to support enough.

John robertson on radio scotland said same,Gormley was isolated at times snd appeared on here few times so if higgins was playing deep where was campbell,Considerin he has pace to burn......

John robertson on radio scotland said same,Gormley was isolated at times snd appeared on here few times so if higgins was playing deep where was campbell,Considerin he has pace to burn......

Campbell came on with about 10 to go for gormley, who might not be quite ready for 90 minutes yet.

Think Brisbane would be more effective in the middle of the park, and put Campbell out wide since he has pace.

Our system was strange yesterday and it didn't work early on. I'm surprised to see someone talk about McLaughlin playing more centrally than Brisbane as they clearly both had the same role either side of Murray; a role which neither looked comfortable playing in a defensive sense. As the game went on and Higgins dropped even deeper McLaughlin was basically playing as a left-sided player. As I said in the match thread, both goals came from their failure and their failure alone to adequately fulfil their respective defensive roles.

Livingston appeared to play a fairly standard approach; a 442 on paper, but we didn't deal with the movement of the two wide midfielders (the goalscorers, Mullen and Hippolyte). They started out on the touchline but the minute possession was moved over halfway they moved inside and allowed the full-backs to push high up the pitch. Our defensive alignment was this:

1) Our wing-backs occupied with those oncoming full-backs.

2) Our centre halves, naturally sitting deep, being held in position by two strikers that stayed high up the pitch.

3) Hugh Murray in the defensive midfield role was swamped by the two wingers moving inside, as well as any forward movement but the more advanced centre midfielder of Livingston. Sean Higgins gave some help; they rarely passed through the middle of the team.

4) McLaughlin and Brisbane should have picked up the wide players moving inside. They did not. Brisbane fixed this far quicker than McLaughlin who was still caught on the wrong side of Hippolyte as play moved towards half-time.

Give Ferguson credit as eventually the problem was fixed and both players, combined with a hard-working display by Higgins, cut off much of that space around Murray, particularly in the second half.

Gormley's performance was exceptionally encouraging. The goal ultimately came from him winning a cheap free kick; something he is very adept at and with our team a real positive. He also should have earned us a man advantage (I thought it was outside the box; didn't even consider it a penalty shout) and created the other big chance for Bolochoweckyj. Defenders will absolute hate playing against him.

Gibson on the other hand was very worrying. Not the goal particularly, as you do see 'keepers caught out with shots moving in the air like that. However, he didn't move off his line once, albeit that might be deliberate with such a deep, tall, defensive three. Poor kicking. Seemed like Marko wasn't happy with his communication on a couple of occasions. It's bizarre, as his signing seems to be totally different to the others; a bit of a gamble that he'll fulfil his early potential. A goalie should be confident playing behind that defence but he looked really shaky. Great save from Buchanan but he'll need to up his game as a good goalkeeper is crucial to our chances this season.

I enjoyed the effort and commitment of the team but won't get too carried away based on that game. Every season fans of League 2 sides talk about great displays against teams from a higher division (a number of examples from yesterday as well) but when the season starts invariably some of them end up struggling greatly.

For next week, I'd not change too much but I'd absolutely bring Marsh in for McLaughlin. He just seems half a yard away from everything and I'm not really sure why. He'd stand a better chance of getting up towards Gormley as well. I genuinely wouldn't mind him giving Ferguson and Campbell run-outs as well if he's going with the approach of working on things ahead of the league season.

There were times on Saturday where we had too many players back and they were getting in each others way. We were almost playing a flat back 5 on occasions when livi had possession. Murray and McLaughlin were also dropping deep and I noticed on a few attacks from livi we had 6 players in our box marking their 2 strikers.

Linton and Mitchell, the wing backs, need to step forward more and allow Brisbane and McLoughlan to play more centrally as they kept drifting out wide (Brisbane in particular).

Not really a fan of 3-5-2 but will certainly make us hard to beat as the 3 centre backs all look decent. The main issue to fix is getting support up alongside gormley when we win possession but hopefully we won't sit as deep against league 2 opposition.

To be fair to Scott McLaughlin, I felt he was being asked to do too much, covering both their central midfielders and right back, when he came forward.

Linton was having to drop very deep to mark Hippolyte, to ensure he didn't get a one-on-one with Smith too often. Linton did a reasonable job at that, though was never entirely sure how far inside to follow Hippolyte. This also left Chris Smith with very little to do at times.

In the long run, once Durie is fit, I'd like to see a midfield three of Mitchell, Brisbane and Murray/McLaughlin. We'll need Durie's running to get forward when possible, and Mitchell was the most comfortable player when in possession against Livi.

think we have to remeber we were playing a team two leagues above us ,ok livingston are hardly barcelona but they are full time and with a bigger playing budget ,thought we did ok we were defensive that might just hark back to the 8-1 doing at ibrox , for me its all about the league I have seen enough to think that we will be minimum play offs if not challenging for the league ,we had a strong bench on saturday only concern is the goalkeeper hope its just a bad game because if he keeps up that level of performance we are going to get another keeper in pronto

Gibsons performance for alloa in play off at forfar still gives me nightmares.. Wasnt there sat and fearing the worst at this early stage. Risky signing indeed. Hop were all proved wrong

you like to give players a chance , but the goalkeeping position is so important , i do hope I am wrong , but he certainly doesnt command his box and he spilled at two really straight forward shots and I still think he was badly at fault for the first goal ok it swerved but it was almost middle of the goals and at least two foot under the cross bar :( we sat really deep on saturday dont know if that was just the way livingston attacked or a lack of confidence in goalie

think he knew he had a bad game as he trudged off head down and didnt even turn round to the fans

so its fingers crossed

or maybe that his problem he keeps his fingers crossed all game

Archived