Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What agenda are you on about?? Be specific. First up, it was Jack Burton who has since held his hands up to his error. Secondly, when the errors you made were pointed out, your answer is all 'ok then, whatever'. Ignoring the first win of the season, then when it was, then where it was sounds like a helluva agenda to me. Present a thought-out factual case, which many have done on the subject, and people won't be rushing to poke holes in it. Were you up to your eyes in notepads plotting the downfall of Duffy during his tough days??? Duffy got 25 points out of a team in 2014 who started the year in the top two.....Ferguson got 29 in 2015 while trying to stitch a teams confidence back together. A much tougher ask, in my opinion.

"Stitch a teams confidence back together"??? What a load of shite!!!!

These players with no confidence were all his signings, and the reason they had no confidence was because of the man management style adopted by BF.

Relax you nutcase, your opinion is different from mine, it's all good ????????????????????

To continue the progression made by Jim Duffy from last season. I agree that Duffy had some shit seasons but progress was made, and we ultimately made the playoffs last season.

I look at John Hughes at ICT, took over an already successful team and didn't try to make wholesale changes. All he has done is get the players to buy into his football philosophy and style of play, give them confidence to do this and has actually had even more success than the previous manager.

So to answer your question, continue the progress already made and try to go one step further than last season.

So, basically to make the play-offs. I don't think that's entirely unreasonable (though I'm sure Annan, Berwick, Elgin all felt the same and spent more money trying to achieve it). There's a fairly clear relationship between budget and league position throughout the world of football but I would also accept that it's minimised to some extent in a part-time league where geography also plays a big part.

Incidentally, he CLEARLY tried to get the players to buy into his "style" early on but clearly it was too much for McColm, Sweeney, and Daly, which added to MacDonald/McCluskey leaving, left us with a huge problem which he didn't manage to fill with his new players.

Yes, he made a mess of the first half of the season but as stated earlier, he has achieved play-off form throughout the second half of the campaign and has openly admitted that he made errors pre-Christmas. The important thing is that he didn't accept the struggle and went out and fixed those errors. The hilarity of people moaning about performances pre-New Year, then moaning that he went out and signed another lot of players :wacko: Absolutely crazy. Apart from the mental case, I genuinely don't see any logical reason why supporters wouldn't be happy with retaining him as manager unless there's an agenda.

On other points; shouting abuse at his team; what about Marko doing exactly the same thing? There's also absolutely no doubt that he's toned things down since the Spartans game. If it was a serious problem then heads would go down, players wouldn't play for him. That clearly hasn't happened.

Whilst I'm on a rant, another myth that I've seen peddled by liars on the internet is that he doesn't utilise our youth team. I've seen Traynor, McBrearty, Robb, Lynass, Porter, McMillan in squads this season, whilst Lee Sharp said a number of the youngsters have been training at points with the first team. In my opinion, getting one or two players out of a year group is a good return.

I'm struggling to remember a Clyde manager who has had such a presence away from on-field matters; community events, charity events, he's even managing a team in the fans game? Do people totally miss these things?

We've clearly got a manager who is committed to his work, who is flexible in tactics, playing style and substitutions and who has clearly had the humility and evaluative skills to learn from his errors. And most impressively of all, he doesn't just settle for average performances and players.

So, basically to make the play-offs. I don't think that's entirely unreasonable (though I'm sure Annan, Berwick, Elgin all felt the same and spent more money trying to achieve it). There's a fairly clear relationship between budget and league position throughout the world of football but I would also accept that it's minimised to some extent in a part-time league where geography also plays a big part.

Incidentally, he CLEARLY tried to get the players to buy into his "style" early on but clearly it was too much for McColm, Sweeney, and Daly, which added to MacDonald/McCluskey leaving, left us with a huge problem which he didn't manage to fill with his new players.

Yes, he made a mess of the first half of the season but as stated earlier, he has achieved play-off form throughout the second half of the campaign and has openly admitted that he made errors pre-Christmas. The important thing is that he didn't accept the struggle and went out and fixed those errors. The hilarity of people moaning about performances pre-New Year, then moaning that he went out and signed another lot of players :wacko: Absolutely crazy. Apart from the mental case, I genuinely don't see any logical reason why supporters wouldn't be happy with retaining him as manager unless there's an agenda.

On other points; shouting abuse at his team; what about Marko doing exactly the same thing? There's also absolutely no doubt that he's toned things down since the Spartans game. If it was a serious problem then heads would go down, players wouldn't play for him. That clearly hasn't happened.

Whilst I'm on a rant, another myth that I've seen peddled by liars on the internet is that he doesn't utilise our youth team. I've seen Traynor, McBrearty, Robb, Lynass, Porter, McMillan in squads this season, whilst Lee Sharp said a number of the youngsters have been training at points with the first team. In my opinion, getting one or two players out of a year group is a good return.

I'm struggling to remember a Clyde manager who has had such a presence away from on-field matters; community events, charity events, he's even managing a team in the fans game? Do people totally miss these things?

We've clearly got a manager who is committed to his work, who is flexible in tactics, playing style and substitutions and who has clearly had the humility and evaluative skills to learn from his errors. And most impressively of all, he doesn't just settle for average performances and players.

Belter of a post

Why is everyone criticising ferguson?! He's obviously giving his all to Clyde, This is his one and only chance to make a success at being a manager. He's obviously learned from his mistakes as shown towards the end of the season and he's treating the job as a full time job and getting involved in community projects. If he doesn't make a success of it at Clyde then his managing career will be over. He cares about the job and that is clear to see with his frustration at the matches, for me it shows he's determined and wants to make a success with Clyde.

We will be in the same position this time next season unless we can get a 15/20 goal striker. Which is what we've lacked since Ian Harty or even Pat Clarke at a push. Having a player like that seems to be the main difference in recent years between being champions and finishing in the top 5. Most recently being Alloa with Stevie May and Peterhead with McAllister. Not even acknowledging Rangers' goal scoring "prowess" in Lee McCulloch

Couldn't agree more, it's what Clyde having been crying out for since Ian Harty. Especially since we landed in League Two/Third Division above all else. A striker that could notch 15/20+ goals a season could be the major difference between a promotion push be it a title challenge (which is what we should be aiming for) or play-offs at worst and another barren season in this league. It does become baffling how Clyde seem to be the only team can't find a regular goalscorer in this league anyway in last 4/5 seasons. The 24 goal Daly/McCluskey partnership worked really well in the 2nd half of last season with about 18 (I think) of them coming in the 2nd half of last season.
Been going to Broadwood since 1998 but wee question... when was the last time a Clyde player hit 20+ goals in a season?

I'd give you 1,000,000 green dots if I could for that post.

Too much crap being written on this thread, most of it the same stuff repeated again and again through the last season. Face facts - BF will be our manager next season. Let's support him unless results say otherwise. Start looking forward !!!

Glad this season is over, I was absolutely buzzing when I heard the news about Barry Ferguson becoming the new manager but to be honest it had been a total anticlimax.

I was very vocal on P&B earlier in the season about my unhappiness with the way the team was playing, the players BF was signing and the apparent lack of managerial ability shown by BF.

I am not going to get into slagging the players from this season but our absymal performances for me highlight either the lack of ability in either the players or the manager.

Moving forward I just hope and pray everything clicks into place for next season, and we can all enjoy a bit of success. I am also not going to discuss names of potential signings for next season which I have heard through a very good source, however, the players backgrounds and apparent reasoning as to why BF is signing them is a worry to me. BF must have a proper player recruitment structure in place, and not just sign players due to their past affiliation to a particular club.

Just want to put this season behind me because at times the atmosphere whilst watching matches has been awful. Watching BF for 90 minutes hurl abuse and swear at players, kick bottles, and overall act like a total idiot has been uncomfortable to watch at times. Spartans away was horrendous on and off the pitch, and surely things can only get better.

BF had the summer and January to recruit players, and for me overall the majority of signings have been a failure. As I mentioned previously, either BF or someone at the club must implement a proper player recruitment structure as potential signings that I have been hearing are closely affiliated to a previous club that our manager also has an affiliation with.

I generally thought he got the job because of his name rather than his ability as a manager. I thought it was a ploy on the board's part to try and attract more punters to the games because of his name rather than as the best fit to take the club forward.

It was good to hear Fergie talking about playing expansive football but it has turned out to be something of an anti-climax this season despite a positive upturn in results in the last 3 months. Fergie's now had his first year getting to know the job. Now it's up to him find the players and assemble a team to produce it on the field next season to try and get us out of this league.

I just wish he would focus less on writing so much about Rangers in the Record every week and fix this revolving door policy at Clyde with players. Hopefully onwards and upwards next season!

Great post ....

Spot on mate, well said!

Couldn't agree more, it's what Clyde having been crying out for since Ian Harty. Especially since we landed in League Two/Third Division above all else. A striker that could notch 15/20+ goals a season could be the major difference between a promotion push be it a title challenge (which is what we should be aiming for) or play-offs at worst and another barren season in this league. It does become baffling how Clyde seem to be the only team can't find a regular goalscorer in this league anyway in last 4/5 seasons. The 24 goal Daly/McCluskey partnership worked really well in the 2nd half of last season with about 18 (I think) of them coming in the 2nd half of last season.

Been going to Broadwood since 1998 but wee question... when was the last time a Clyde player hit 20+ goals in a season?

Brian Carrigan in 1999-2000. Eddie Annand hit 20+ too in back to back seasons in the mid 90s.

I just wish he would focus less on writing so much dribble about Rangers in the Record every week and fix this revolving door policy at Clyde with players and curb his temperament sometimes. Hopefully onwards and upwards next season!

At the end of the day he is a part time manager of our team and he has only been here a season and we would be stupid trying to pretend he doesn't have a massive affiliation with Rangers and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he has a weekly column in a paper to discuss the team he supports in the same way that I didn't bother when Duffy did the Clyde 1 phone in and probably spent the majority of each of those shows talking about the old firm.

Guest andyp1301

Probably the best post 've seen on this site....very well said.

At the end of the day he is a part time manager of our team and he has only been here a season and we would be stupid trying to pretend he doesn't have a massive affiliation with Rangers and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that he has a weekly column in a paper to discuss the team he supports in the same way that I didn't bother when Duffy did the Clyde 1 phone in and probably spent the majority of each of those shows talking about the old firm.

I generally don't disagree with you. But the only slight difference you could argue is Duffy has been in the managerial game for 25+ years and has earned his stripes, where as Fergie was only in his first season as a manager. Hey, football is all about opinion. But anyway hopefully next season Clyde will continue to progress under Fergie the way they did towards the end of the season.

Archie Campbell has been released by Dumbarton and a few of their fans have also heard he is heading our way. Seems to have split the Dumbarton fans some sorry to see him go but others not.

Archived