Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

I don't even think that Ferguson played for our youth teams. I think he was signed with a whole host of other players for our U18's and within a few weeks of signing he was in the first team squad at the start of last season and since then he has played only in the first team.

Fair enough in that case. Although, I suppose the point still stands that he initially signed for one of the teams that will no longer be operated and only then impressed sufficiently to be selected in the first team. Under the new proposals, he might not have had that opportunity.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Official Statement from the website:

The Board of Clyde FC has recently concluded a review of the SFA Club Academy Scotland (CAS) model for youth development, and its relevance to the country's community clubs. Clyde FC enters teams at Under-11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 17 into this structure.

With decreasing grant funding coming from the SFA for community clubs, the significant resources required to comply with CAS participation, and the governing body's commitment to elite player development, Clyde FC has reluctantly concluded that the finance and resources necessary to operate within the CAS model cannot be sustained while it occupies the lower tiers of the Scottish game.

As a result, the club has reluctantly concluded that it will not participate in competitive youth football, within Club Academy Scotland, next season and has advised the SFA accordingly.

The Board would like to thank the entire Clyde Academy staff who have supported our youth operation in recent years, some of whom will have the opportunity to engage in the club's community plans going forward.

Parents of all youth academy players are currently being informed of the decision, and being advised that the boys are free to find new clubs ahead of their contract expiry on 30th June 2015. Clyde FC has also agreed to assist with this process.

Meanwhile, the club is keen to support and enhance its community activities and is reviewing how best this can be achieved.

Our Under-20 side, which is not part of Club Academy Scotland, remains in place as part of our first team structure

Fans may well want us to throw money at players to get promoted but we are supposed to be a Community Interest Company with objectives such as encouraging sporting activity in the community, strengthening bonds between the club and the community, running youth teams, not ditching them then upping the player budget.

Less than a year ago this was posted on the official site:

Clyde chairman John Alexander said: "We are delighted that Barry has committed himself to taking Clyde forward as player-coach.

"He won us over with his vision for developing our squad and commitment to building on our existing youth policy, as he establishes himself as a manager in the Scottish game.

It's just another example of the whole CIC thing being a farce in my opinion.

Fans may well want us to throw money at players to get promoted but we are supposed to be a Community Interest Company with objectives such as encouraging sporting activity in the community, strengthening bonds between the club and the community, running youth teams, not ditching them then upping the player budget.

Clyde chairman John Alexander said: "We are delighted that Barry has committed himself to taking Clyde forward as player-coach.

"He won us over with his vision for developing our squad and commitment to building on our existing youth policy, as he establishes himself as a manager in the Scottish game.

Too predictable, did not read.

If funding is being reduced and if it comes to having to spend money on the first team or spending money on a youth set up that has hardly produced anything then it has to be funds being spent on the 1st team.

I would rather we get out of this division then if we are in a better state financially in the coming years then we can look to set up something again but spending money on a good youth set up isn't going to help in the Lowland League.

The statement says we will still have community plans and the statement from last season can still be true if BF brings players through from the U20 team that will still be in place like this season with Robb, Lynass and McMillan.

This sort of completely irrelevant drivel is why whenever you make a good point, no-one pays any attention.

Perhaps Grant now and time of statement is different for starters

Perhaps Grant now and time of statement is different for starters

There may well be reasons and maybe there was no need for another dig over the Ferguson appointment but isn't it at least worth a discussion about whatever vision they had of building the youth policy and why it has been sacrificed? Since then we have also become debt-free and increased the playing budget.

i've said above i am happy to see signings that make us compete but it does seem to fly in the face of the stated objects of the CIC and the interests of the team to completely scrap the youth policy and spend more on players.

And we're back. Things change.....that much is clear in the statement, and i'd expect a similar outcome regardless of who the manager was or what our on-field ambitions were. I completely agree the CIC is an absolute headfuck, but its a headfuck which provides almost 15k a year, and that would be difficult to replace to be fair. Perhaps tbe Colt's move is a minimal percentage of the reason, im not really that bothered about the loss as long as no one's out of pocket over it, but their duty is to look after the club and in this instance, its obvious thats what the board have done. If it contravenes terms of the CIC there are plenty of cheerleaders who can tell them so in a fortnight's time.

Must say I don't really care about this news myself, how many players have we produced from a very young age that's actually made it in the first team, either fail or get snapped up by a bigger team before we know about them

Youth Academy football is nothing like community work. Most of the players will come from miles around and most of them won't be able to name a single Clyde player. They'll move on at the slightest sniff of a bigger club. You need to be a certain standard to be part of a youth setup and clubs like Clyde can't afford to hold on to anyone half decent. If the scrapping of the youth academy results in more genuine community football activities like what already exists in the South Side and Cumbernauld then that's of much more use to Clyde.

Lower tier clubs can't afford to focus on developing the elite players so should instead focus on building strong community teams where all kids can take part and get an affinity for the club. I'd really like to see clubs placing an amateur side above their community teams to give players somewhere to keep playing the game even if they are not good enough to get signed professionally.

Youth Academy football is nothing like community work. Most of the players will come from miles around and most of them won't be able to name a single Clyde player. They'll move on at the slightest sniff of a bigger club. You need to be a certain standard to be part of a youth setup and clubs like Clyde can't afford to hold on to anyone half decent. If the scrapping of the youth academy results in more genuine community football activities like what already exists in the South Side and Cumbernauld then that's of much more use to Clyde.

Lower tier clubs can't afford to focus on developing the elite players so should instead focus on building strong community teams where all kids can take part and get an affinity for the club. I'd really like to see clubs placing an amateur side above their community teams to give players somewhere to keep playing the game even if they are not good enough to get signed professionally.

excellent post????

going by rumours the youth system at the club was at best a shambles and the eventual 's scrapping of the entire system would put some credence to the rumours

good move in my opinion ????

Well Queen's Park are proving again and again that they can develop elite players

Edit - Hull City just turned down 15 million for Andy Roberton by Aston Villa

Well Queen's Park are proving again and again that they can develop elite players

Edit - Hull City just turned down 15 million for Andy Roberton by Aston Villa

well maybe if like queens Park , Clyde were subsidised by the rest of Scottish football then we could run a youth system like theirs

Gordon Greer was picked up from Port Glasgow and played 30 games for us and was sold to Blackburn at the end of the season, so we can't take much credit for him.

Bryson is the best player we have produced in many years.

Gordon Greer was picked up from Port Glasgow and played 30 games for us and was sold to Blackburn at the end of the season, so we can't take much credit for him.

Bryson is the best player we have produced in many years.

Bryson came from EK juniors.

Archived