Queen's Park.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any guy who is likely to score (say) 15 goals in our league will command decent money. Supposedly Gemmell was on £250 a week last year and look how much it was rumoured that Rory McAllister was on....£650 a week. That being the case, we're only going to have a Jamie Longworth every 10 or 15 years. What Gus has been doing is compensating for this by looking to have more attacking midfielders as a goal threat.

I've only seen two games and there hasn't been a Jamie Longworth there. I have, though, seen a couple of excellent midfielders in amongst the trialists. As I said, still plenty more friendlies to go, so let's see if a decent striker is amongst the ones still to appear.

In Gus we trust.

I always liked Thomas Collins and thought he was a promising striker who could have one day done a job for us! I was sad to see him go but im sure Gus has some strikers in mind to use for next season!

personally not so fussed about Collins, but I always liked Lee Davison and thought he had the potential to become an excellent winger, so sad to see him turn his loan at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy into a permanent deal

Yeah my dad was the same, He always liked Davison!

One thing about Gus i would say is that i dont think he uses the youths as much as some of the previous managers! That might just be me but i feel theres always room for a few more youth players!

personally not so fussed about Collins, but I always liked Lee Davison and thought he had the potential to become an excellent winger, so sad to see him turn his loan at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy into a permanent deal

Agreed. Was always likely to do something a wee bit different, decent touch and great pace. Lacked consistency but I'd put that down to low confidence, not starting regularly in what was already a confused line-up. Timing was unfortunate for him too as the dramatic swing from youth to experience over a summer break worked against him. Hope he gets better luck elsewhere.

I thought Lesser Hampden games were closed doors?

Originally they were but that's an update, posted yesterday. There was quite a bit of chatter on another forum on the subject so it looks like the club are paying attention. Hopefully attending fans will understand the team/ players are still being trialled and just watch with interest rather than the normal fervour.

Any guy who is likely to score (say) 15 goals in our league will command decent money.

Which isn't surprising as there aren't that many strikers around nowadays as most teams opt to play this boring, negative lone striker pish in front of a packed midfield. Some poor bugger wandering around on his own up front chasing scraps.

As a neutral, I'd kill (almost) to see a team play with a striking partnership, two strikers combining, setting up chances for each other, but it appears those days have gone for good :thumbsdown

Which isn't surprising as there aren't that many strikers around nowadays as most teams opt to play this boring, negative lone striker pish in front of a packed midfield. Some poor bugger wandering around on his own up front chasing scraps.

As a neutral, I'd kill (almost) to see a team play with a striking partnership, two strikers combining, setting up chances for each other, but it appears those days have gone for good :thumbsdown

Your technical appraisal of the modern game is wasted on this thread. Try the Clyde thread(s) for like-minded tactical experts. Although given the number of Clyde fans who keep trying to join The Elite supporters I can see how you might be confused :unsure2:

Archived