Queen's Park.

Speirs got the job to replace Stark based on his alleged reputation at the time of being a good coach with young players. Being a good coach doesn't make you a good manager though, especially man manager. His repeated play off failures summed it up. Opposition managers also him on toast tactically come crunch time. He'll no doubt see this as a chance to redeem himself..or maybe he just needs a job. Strange decision for him either way to return to a club that he left in bad circumstances to effectively work under the man who replaced him, although he won't report officially to Gus

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a better fit than Jimmy Sinclair (?), unlikely to bolt at the first sign of a better deal

Sinclair was a championship winner with Queens, and I certainly wouldn't complain about him taking the opportunity (temporary!!!) to become an assistant manager in the English Premiership, but I'd be interested in hearing you elaborate on your two comments above

Better fit was just speculation - hence the (?). Happy for you to disagree.

not so much disagreement AS - more curiosity as to what prompted you put the ? there in the first place?

Ohh man, I dunno. Will think twice before sticking up a casual opinion.

I guess JS is so closely linked with Ibrox / Murray Park in recent times and that's such a different kettle of ball games from us.

I'm not close enough to know if he really put his stamp on things etc.

Gardner on the scene when we brought through possibly (?) the best crop of youngsters ever. More of that please.

Appointment of GS - yip, he did some daft things, primarily sideline Jamie Longworth and his record in the play offs was pretty deplorable, but he did bring in some superb talent.  Plus, some of the football he had us play was on par with the best I've seen in a squillion years.  Perhaps, like many decent coaches, he is best as a coach rather than stepping up to be a manager.  E.g. where is Liam Brady these days?

Anyway, whilst I don't decry Jimmy Sinclair's dash for glory (how could he turn that down?) I reckon that we need someone there for the long haul, and that might well be GS.  He's a really nice and personable guy (which might be more of an asset where a big bit of the job is glad-handing parents to convince them to keep their kids at QP rather than shoot off to the OF at age 15), so let's give the guy our support.  I felt very bad when he left QP on a personal basis....but it was time for him to go as the whole thing was unravelling and there was no way back.  This is, hopefully, a good fit for him and for the development of youth at our club.

Billy Ogilview

Sounds like a Carry On film character

re Sinclair. Apparently he asked the club for 2 months leave to go help his mate Black at Villa. Club quite rightly refused as he was required to do his job during what is one of the busiest periods of the year, especially with youth contracts coming to an end, needing renewed etc. Next day he went to Lesser, cleared his desk, and handed in his notice. I can only imagine they are paying him a fortune down therein comparison. Will be surprised if he and Black are still in a job come the end of the season given the state of Villa

Appointment of GS - yip, he did some daft things, primarily sideline Jamie Longworth and his record in the play offs was pretty deplorable, but he did bring in some superb talent.  Plus, some of the football he had us play was on par with the best I've seen in a squillion years.  Perhaps, like many decent coaches, he is best as a coach rather than stepping up to be a manager.  E.g. where is Liam Brady these days?

Anyway, whilst I don't decry Jimmy Sinclair's dash for glory (how could he turn that down?) I reckon that we need someone there for the long haul, and that might well be GS.  He's a really nice and personable guy (which might be more of an asset where a big bit of the job is glad-handing parents to convince them to keep their kids at QP rather than shoot off to the OF at age 15), so let's give the guy our support.  I felt very bad when he left QP on a personal basis....but it was time for him to go as the whole thing was unravelling and there was no way back.  This is, hopefully, a good fit for him and for the development of youth at our club.

Perfectly balanced as always HD. His coaching style was very much about development rather than play-off finals. With reflection, maybe expecting one person to do both jobs was too much. By contrast our current first team coach isn't shy about coaching in the game and will certainly set about the play-offs with intent to win, but I wouldn't let him loose with under -12s (don't!). Horses for courses.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I found Gardner to be a very nice guy when I met him. There were some great performances and results though he could be stubborn and it worked against him in his later days. Out of his playoff ventures, 2011/12 was the one that got away, choking against a team we'd done the clean sweep over in the league. Still, it's in the past and he's back in a new role so let's see how it goes.

Changing the subject, the choices of Willie Muir and Scott Gibson for 2 of our player of the year awards probably reflects the sort of team we've been much of the time- stuffy and hard to break down. Willie makes up for his lack of height by commanding his box with confidence. He's always impressed me. Scott's a bit of an under the radar player to me and does his job with the minimum of fuss. I didn't realise how many goals Paul Woods has scored. He's not been as consistent as last season but still more than played his part.

If we go through and it's Clyde in the final - is the first leg at Hampden or the Gypodome?

Highest ranked team plays the second leg at home. So, first leg would be at Hampden.

Archived