Another referendum?

bowmore

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is simply untrue. I have not give up on this union, nor has Mr. Cameron and, most importantly, nor have 55% of Scotland.

You will NOT be getting a second referendum. Accept it, it's over.

I'm not disputing that 55% voted no. What I'm saying is that it will happen, and soon.

Thanks for reading [emoji4]

This is simply untrue. I have not give up on this union, nor has Mr. Cameron and, most importantly, nor have 55% of Scotland.

You will NOT be getting a second referendum. Accept it, it's over.

Its not up to you, its up to the people of Scotland. That's democracy, accept it.

Ha ha. Aye very good.

55% voted No in September both don't think for one second that all of those people think this is over or never want a second referendum. Many have already changed their mind. Cameron's words the morning after changed things - as has the vitriolic anti-Scottish Tory campaign in the last few weeks.

You have the right to fight for the union, and many will join you in that fight (but I don't think Cameron gives a shit - he just doesn't want it to happen on his watch).

But you're fighting against history, and history will always win.

Naive as f**k to think Cameron doesn't give a shit, they are unionists by their very identity and can't afford to lose Scotland for lots of different reasons. They are utterly DESPERATE to maintain the UK, it comes before everything for them.

One thing though, people on here need to realise a referendum in this parliament is now extremely unlikely. By extremely unlikely I mean it just won't happen.

The Tories are rabid unionists, they see Scottish nationalism as equivalent to Hitler in being an existential threat to the UK, they have a majority so have no need to grant a referendum.

If the SNP win a second majority next year there is an issue, as the previous one set a precedent that a referendum should be granted if they have it in their manifesto and they win a majority. But the way they will look at it in WM will be if we deny them this time we will have a bit of seethe but ultimately they can't do anything about it, and the SNP will never be as popular at WM and HR again and may never win another majority.

So they just have to ride it out this one time and it may be that independence is killed forever, especially with FFA leading a lot of people to think why bother with the 'risk' of independence.

There is a very real possibility independence won't happen now, and virtually no chance of a referendum in this parliament. That's two things people on here need to understand.

A third is those who say they don't care about the break-up of the UK are moronically stupid, they care about that more than anything else and will do anything at all to prevent it.

As I said before, correctly, and was mocked for it, we are at war with WM right now. There is a war going on for control of Scotland and its not guaranteed that we will win.

I think some confuse the votes in this election for the SNP as being votes for independence - they were not.

A lot of people (like myself) voted for the SNP because the Labour Party in Scotland are bloody useless.

Also Sturgeon herself said this wasn't about independence but which party could best represent or fight for Scottish interests at Westminster.

I think some confuse the votes in this election for the SNP as being votes for independence - they were not.

A lot of people (like myself) voted for the SNP because the Labour Party in Scotland are bloody useless.

Also Sturgeon herself said this wasn't about independence but which party could best represent or fight for Scottish interests at Westminster.

Aye but its about independence. Cheers for you vote.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11595243/SNPs-dramatic-new-push-for-independence.html

Dont think salmond got that message,"scotland is now closer than ever from seperating from the uk"and he said "the snps near clean sweep was a staging post towards full independence"

http://news.channel4.com/election2015/05/08/update-5643/

Sturgeon thinks different.

Its not up to you, its up to the people of Scotland. That's democracy, accept it.

"Thats democracy accept it"maybe you should tell salmond and the snp that fuzzy because 8mths ago we said no but salmond continues to moan about it and mention it as often as he can,time for sturgeon to show who is boss and slap him down.

Salmond is being a bit of a pain in the arse but thats hia new job title and he has earned the right to act like the bad cop

As I've been saying since the party membership swelled, the next referendum will be when the people of Scotland decide they want independence. The SNP arent going to risk a second defeat because that might be fatal. I expect them to wait until there is a clear 60-40 majority in the polling to call it.

You also wont need a 3 year campaign next time. I expect it in the 2020 holyrood elections and if successful a referendum in May 2021

Salmond is being a bit of a pain in the arse but thats hia new job title and he has earned the right to act like the bad copAs I've been saying since the party membership swelled, the next referendum will be when the people of Scotland decide they want independence. The SNP arent going to risk a second defeat because that might be fatal. I expect them to wait until there is a clear 60-40 majority in the polling to call it.You also wont need a 3 year campaign next time. I expect it in the 2020 holyrood elections and if successful a referendum in May 2021

I agree with 2021,let the dust settle on this vote and focus on the other problems we have,what i would say is that if the promises the better together made are not fulfilled then i would go with another vote before 2021.

"Thats democracy accept it"maybe you should tell salmond and the snp that fuzzy because 8mths ago we said no but salmond continues to moan about it and mention it as often as he can,time for sturgeon to show who is boss and slap him down.

Kev, the reason that SNP exist is to get independence for Scotland.

Personally, I'd rather see us negotiate fiscal autonomy first. Possibly during this parliament.

Personally, I'd rather see us negotiate fiscal autonomy first. Possibly during this parliament.

From what i have been reading cameron may well offer that during this parliament along with tax control

Even in this election SNP only just scraped 50%. To have a good chance of winning a referendum I think we'd need 5-10 years of operating successfully under FFA. So probably not before mid 2020's.

Even in this election SNP only just scraped 50%. To have a good chance of winning a referendum I think we'd need 5-10 years of operating successfully under FFA. So probably not before mid 2020's.

I agree. It'll be hard to get to 55%-65% without showing that we can handle FFA.

The issue then is whether people would want full independence if FFA had improved things. I get the feeling the majority like being part of the UK but just want it to work better. If we get that level of control would that be enough for some people or would they still want independence?

From memory, circa 2012 the polls were around 65% for Devo Max and only around 30% for independence. The independence referendum was Yes/No so those Devo Max types had to jump one way or the other.

It depends whether or not by using FFA the SNP will finally be held accountable for their actions or Westminster continues to get the blame for everything.

If there is FFA then John Swinney will have to make the tough decisions he has been avoiding for the last few years.

No voters are either raving weirdo Britnats (not the full 55%) or people who shit themselves.

We could aim to get independence without a referendum - sneakily devolve absolutely everything bit by bit, wind up the Tories to chuck Scottish MPs out of WM, and finish up with a referendum on the Monarchy in Scotland. Would be great, and avoid all the shit-themselvers ruining it

10 years of Scotland operating under FFA would kill the independence movement stone dead, given that it would involve austerity measures, opposition to which had formed the basis of people supporting independence in the first place.

I don't think that would bother those that have always supported independence, maybe about a third of the yes vote. But the anti austerity line was used to get the yes vote to 45 per cent

10 years of Scotland operating under FFA would kill the independence movement stone dead, given that it would involve austerity measures, opposition to which had formed the basis of people supporting independence in the first place.

I don't think that would bother those that have always supported independence, maybe about a third of the yes vote. But the anti austerity line was used to get the yes vote to 45 per cent

If the global economy continues to improve and the Scottish Government manages to protect the most vulnerable from the worst of the cuts, and runs the economy competently under FFA, then the transition to Independence could be fairly seamless, with most of the Government infrastructure already in place. With the SNP as 3rd party in Westminster they should be able to insist on the Civil Service drawing up neutral contingency plans for the full transfer of responsibilities to an independent Scotland, including the stuff that damaged the Yes campaign like doubts over currency, share of assets and liabilities, pensions, EU membership etc., which could remove or mitigate the fear factor that motivated a lot of No voters last time around.

Archived