Another referendum?

bowmore

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is sad that the Westminster journos are trying to scare everyone here with SNP doom and the break-up of the UK etc. as I do believe that possibly the best opportunity that we, as a country, have possibly ever had for political change might well be right in front of us depending upon the success of the SNP.

It'll happen when it happens, all depending on what takes place in the next two years. How things go at Westminster, the Holyrood election and when/if there is an EU referendum. All these have a bearing on an indyref2 and when it will take place. No point in conjecturing now, let's see how things pan out.

Just out of interest, what is the general chatter about this in relation to SNP success in the elections? Is it done for a generation or do you imagine it'll be a key objective of the next term?

I think I already started a indyref2 thread back in October 2014 ^_^

I'm more than happy to wait a wee while for a few more arctic winters to roll in and it's definitely in the bag.

The routine humiliation of the Branch Offices, election after election, will suffice for the next five-ten years.

The Scottish people have NEVER been in favour of independence, ever. The YES camp had all the momentum going into the referendum but it turned nasty with cyber ants and fighting in George Square etc. Another referendum could start a civil war in Scotland as the desperate YES camp try to bully and threaten their way to victory. Once in a lifetime, or even a generation is more than enough.

As for the EU referendum we voted as a bloc in 1975 so should respect the bloc vote if and when the EU vote happens, although I doubt it will.

As soon as possible and as many as it takes.

People are being naive by picking and choosing dates like 2020 or 2024, its not up to the SNP. Holyrood was designed specifically to prevent them ever getting a majority, every single time they have one they'd be mental not to pursue a referendum.

Don't assume the current dominance of the SNP will last forever, especially at Holyrood. We have to go for a referendum if we get another majority next year, as the unionist parties will recover and the SNP will suffer as all governments do from years of government.

We may be waiting a long, long time on another opportunity if we don't go in 2019 (If we get the chance in 2019 with a majority next year) I'm talking decades. You'd have to be off your nut to be a yes voter and not want us to go again as soon as possible and every time we get the chance.

We may be waiting a long, long time on another opportunity if we don't go in 2019 (If we get the chance in 2019 with a majority next year) I'm talking decades. You'd have to be off your nut to be a yes voter and not want us to go again as soon as possible and every time we get the chance.

Well I voted yes, and I don't think we should have another referendum soon. That's not because I don't want us to run our own affairs, but simply because I think we'd lose and if we did that really would be it. People would turn against it, because they don't want to run a referendum every couple of years.

We need patience. We need to get answers to the questions that tripped us up last time (currency, EU), or have them answered for us. We need to know we're going to win it.

True, but right now most polls show if it was tomorrow we'd win it. That was never the case at all throughout the entire referendum campaign. In September support was at 44.7%, by now it must be over 50 or very close. We are already getting close the point of knowing we'd win it.

And we can't afford to wait and think ach we'll do it in 2024 or whatever, as I explained we don't have that luxury, it is an entirely reasonable thing to say that the SNP might have a majority next year at HR, then might never get another. Literally ever, so if we didn't go that time no independence ever.

I say as soon as possible and as many as it takes.

True, but right now most polls show if it was tomorrow we'd win it. That was never the case at all throughout the entire referendum campaign. In September support was at 44.7%, by now it must be over 50 or very close. We are already getting close the point of knowing we'd win it.

And we can't afford to wait and think ach we'll do it in 2024 or whatever, as I explained we don't have that luxury, it is an entirely reasonable thing to say that the SNP might have a majority next year at HR, then might never get another. Literally ever, so if we didn't go that time no independence ever.

Nowhere near it.

Well I voted yes, and I don't think we should have another referendum soon. That's not because I don't want us to run our own affairs, but simply because I think we'd lose and if we did that really would be it. People would turn against it, because they don't want to run a referendum every couple of years.

We need patience. We need to get answers to the questions that tripped us up last time (currency, EU), or have them answered for us. We need to know we're going to win it.

Agreed.

But we also need to accept that we lost - and give it time. There is a basic point of democracy, no matter how many underhand tactics were used.

The SNP are over 50% in the polls but seen very few independence polls since September? Surely that was the main poll and we should respect that unless a major change like leaving the EU or consistently over 55-60% of Scottish population wanting independence due to an unpopular Tory Government or a failing Labour Government.

We need to let things take its course, who knows maybe the SNP having plenty of MPs at WM will make Scotland stronger, more NO voters could switch over when they realise we are capable. More to the point I think Labour are doing their best for us to become Independent , let them trip themselves up over the next 10 years and we'll have no choice but to go Independent.

Nowhere near it.

We are already in a better position than at any time at all during the entire referendum campaign, and have four years to make the case. This is the time to go for it, and people like you aren't helping.

And there is a basic point of democracy you're right, so put it in the manifesto next year and let the people vote on it. At worst the SNP win and don't get a majority anyway its a no-risk venture and if they get a majority is a DEMOCRATIC mandate for another referendum.

Spot on. Only a really stupid person would argue for another referendum before the time is right, and the time is not right yet. Even with support of 50%+ for this election there is less than 50% want a further referendum.

Sturgeon and the rest of the leadership of the SNP knows this; and sensible SNP/independence supporter knows this.

Archived