Another referendum?

bowmore

Granny, the Scottish government doesn't have the power to go making up franchises. A referendum is not legally binding without the say so of WM and there is zero chance of them allowing one without the vote for rUK'ers

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It now looks certain that most European non UK nationals who live in the UK and contribute to the UK economy will be precluded from voting in the upcoming EU referendum.

Does that give us justification for precluding any non-Scottish born people from voting in a future Independence referendum?

I would not have countenanced this in the past and actually argued against those who said that those born in rUK should be excluded from voting; but times have changed. Not only do we now have a majority Tory government in Westminster that Scotland totally rejected but this same government is making up the rules as it goes along on franchises for voting.

Maybe the end justifies the means and we should be as manipulative in achieving our objectives.

Out of interest

Are UK expats abroad excluded ?

Out of interest

Are UK expats abroad excluded ?

Would be fascinating to find out how the two facking sangrias por favor crowd in Portugal and Spain would vote.

About 90% No then lots of confused "but I'm not a foreigner, I'm British" protestations when their entitlements change I reckon.

Do People from the Republic of Ireland get to vote, given that they're not foreign

Yes. Seemingly it's a strange anomaly. People from the Republic can vote in UK elections, but British people living in the Republic can't vote in their elections (Stephen Fry said that on QI recently!).

I caught a bit of Murphy claiming the "militant insurgent SNP" would use any excuse to leverage in another referendum. Obvious that Labour now hate the gnats - the 55 plus Mhairi Bleck - more than any other party, and rightly so. While I'd like to credit Sturgeon with her strategy of sinking Labour in England to make it easier to sell referendum two, I'm not sure this was by design. I'd be impressed if her demands on Red Ed were indeed an elaborate scam, but I doubt such an unsophisticated soundbite politician as her has any kind of strategic mind.

Why do you spell Mhairi Blacks name with an E? Are you retarded?

You know that guy in the pub who speaks to you whilst you look dead ahead at the optics sipping your pint and not responding whilst they go on about the immigrants......

Anyway, I see Murphy believes a second referendum is inevitable. Even a broken clock..

Do People from the Republic of Ireland get to vote, given that they're not foreign

There's a bit about it here. Apparently the Tories tried to remove their right. Surprise, surprise

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/conservative-calls-to-remove-irish-voting-rights-in-britain-unlikely-to-be-heeded

There could be 5 Scottish independence referenda in a row, sadly for the nationalists they will never have the support to win one. If it was seemingly too close to call in the 5th one the sleeping 15% of NO voters who never voted in the last referendum would turn up this time and scupper the YES camp yet again. Remember only 33% of eligible voters voted for independence in the first chance they had in 300 years or so. Piss poor.

There could be 5 Scottish independence referenda in a row, sadly for the nationalists they will never have the support to win one. If it was seemingly too close to call in the 5th one the sleeping 15% of NO voters who never voted in the last referendum would turn up this time and scupper the YES camp yet again. Remember only 33% of eligible voters voted for independence in the first chance they had in 300 years or so. Piss poor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Belter.

Sleeping 15% :lol:

The main reason No won was the turnout. Better Together managed to get all the soft No's out to vote.

9e57d8b79750993afae9a40a766cd661.jpg

GNATS stewarding another unemployment rise in Scotland as it continues to fall in England. Proof positive their continued militancy is driving money over the border, we are only seeing the beginnings of this also.

How come money is being driven over the border when we are subsidy junkies just sooking it all up from ingerland?

How come money is being driven over the border when we are subsidy junkies just sooking it all up from ingerland?

Has Farage put a stop to English tax money being shovelled over Hadrian's Wall?

Not foreign?

It surprised me as well

It's section 2 of the 1949 Ireland act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo6/12-13-14/41/section/2

2 Republic of Ireland not a foreign country.

(1)It is hereby declared that, notwithstanding that the Republic of Ireland is not part of His Majesty’s dominions, the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country for the purposes of any law in force in any part of the United Kingdom or in any colony, protectorate or United Kingdom trust territory, whether by virtue of a rule of law or of an Act of Parliament or any other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, and references in any Act of Parliament, other enactment or instrument whatsoever, whether passed or made before or after the passing of this Act, to foreigners, aliens, foreign countries, and foreign or foreign-built ships or aircraft shall be construed accordingly.

It was quoted by someone in the run up to the first referendum

Archived