New Clubs

1 hour ago, theProdigy said:

Annan B will be playing a lot of games on Friday nights! The first team will be first priority and Edu second with the B team being third! Games can't be played on Sundays as well as a result of the youth teams! Going to be interesting how Richard Osbourne works that one

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought one of the criteria to play in the South League is a club must have first use of the ground .I can understand Annan & Stranraer having priorityover their second string but surely EDU or anyone else can not ,

2 hours ago, info said:

I thought one of the criteria to play in the South League is a club must have first use of the ground .I can understand Annan & Stranraer having priorityover their second string but surely EDU or anyone else can not ,

Heston Rovers share Palmerston.

Groundsharing is widespread now, and rightly or wrongly it'd be inconceivable to try and ban it AFAICS. Just within Senior football you'd be looking to expel:

Clyde
Edinburgh City
Cove Rangers
BSC Glasgow
East Stirlingshire
Edusport
Stirling Uni
(Tweedmouth - pitch isn't share but facilities are)
Tynecastle
Heston Rovers
Glasgow Uni

You mean you'd expel Annan's reserve team as they can't play at home on Saturdays?

It does seem unorthodox to have a team playing their home games on Friday nights. On the otherhand clubs must've been OK with that to elect them, and it's only 1 visit a season.

Also - in the past Mid Annandale has experimented with Fridays and got decent crowds. It'll also allow Annan first-team fans to attend their games. Pros 'n cons.

If you take it to an extreme I suppose 4 teams could share!! Fri<>Fri + Sat<>Sat.

Ainslie Park next season appears to have:

Fri... Spartans U20s + Edusport U20s
Sat... Edinburgh City + Spartans
Sun... Spartans Ladies + Hibs Ladies

2 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Good to see the size of the SoSL now. When I first watched it the teams were: Newton Stewart; St Cuthberts; Stranraer; Threave; Whithorn and Wigtown

Only 8 clubs as recently as 1990.

Equally EOSL had 26 in 2013 - bottomed-out this season at 11.

I'm sure Annan fans will be quite happy to have two games to watch at the weekend. I'd be more than happy to see Stranraer do this too. Sounds great, Reserve team of a Friday, first team on a Saturday and Under 20's on a Monday.

Probably be a few players in the league welcome a Saturday off.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You mean you'd expel Annan's reserve team as they can't play at home on Saturdays?

It does seem unorthodox to have a team playing their home games on Friday nights. On the otherhand clubs must've been OK with that to elect them, and it's only 1 visit a season.

Also - in the past Mid Annandale has experimented with Fridays and got decent crowds. It'll also allow Annan first-team fans to attend their games. Pros 'n cons.

If you take it to an extreme I suppose 4 teams could share!! Fri<>Fri + Sat<>Sat.

Ainslie Park next season appears to have:

Fri... Spartans U20s + Edusport U20s
Sat... Edinburgh City + Spartans
Sun... Spartans Ladies + Hibs Ladies

I never said Annan reserves should be expelled . I am just pointing out that over recent seasons South rules appear to have become very flexible(not bad ) and selective (very bad)

Well OK - are you saying they shouldn't have been admitted?

It's going to be difficult to keep to a rigid principle like "you must have first use" because of the blend of long-standing clubs, reserves, new teams, and 'miscellaneous' like Edusport.

Also the league itself is a blend of ambitions because of the way things have worked out.

With the demise of the Dumfries Saturday Amateurs it's catering for everything from the lowest level of Saturday recreational amateurs to clubs dropping from the 'professional' game leagues.

Btw - in the final years of the Dumfries Saturday Amateurs these were the 8 clubs:

Dumfries YMCA, Lochar Thistle, Lochmaben, Upper Annandale, Maxwelltown Thistle, Morton Thistle, Dynamo Star, Terregles Athletic

Those 4 in italics are now in SOSL (Lochmaben via Lanarkshire Ams then absorbing Crichton); Maxwelltown went Lanarkshire Ams then folded?; Morton went Stewartry Sunday.

Did Dynamo and Terregles fold immediately?

Neither appear in Sunday amateur tables:

Dumfries Sunday Premier (10) ... Annan Town, Hole in the Wa, Kelloholm Arms, Moffat Thistle 2010, Morton Youth, Nithside, Normandy Star, Palmerston Colts, Queen's Bar, Scaur
Dumfries Sunday First (8) ... FC Annan, Black Bull Rovers, Dumfries Athletic, Five Arches Bombers, Loreburn Thistle, Park Thistle, Ruthwell Rovers, Summerhill
Stewartry Sunday (8) ... Crown Inn, Galloway Wanderers, Glenkens, Kirkcudbright Bay, Morton Thistle, Sam's Bar, Swan Inn, Twynholm

Will be interesting to see how quickly they get licensed and whether they can crack on and make the LL. Given they are basically an Onthank team in terms of the end of Kilmarnock they are from, hopefully a role will be found for Marvin and Bullet from The Scheme.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Will be interesting to see how quickly they get licensed and whether they can crack on and make the LL. Given they are basically an Onthank team in terms of the end of Kilmarnock they are from, hopefully a role will be found for Marvin and Bullet from The Scheme.

An awful lot of nothing in between Bonnyton and Onthank.

On 5/26/2017 at 11:25, HibeeJibee said:

Kilmarnock's the far side of the Galloway Hills, not the other side of the planet :lol:. How much strain is going to be put on club finances by 1 trip round the A77 or up the A76?

And it is quicker for Dumfries based clubs and Stranraer based clubs to travel to Kilmarnock than it is travel to each other. 

On 2017-5-26 at 14:10, Mattmc said:

Be interesting to see what kind of team Stranraer go with, says in an official statement that they will still have a team in the under 20's league. The groundsman will have his work cut out.

I think Stranraer are looking to play their South fixtures on the 3G at the Academy - will be the same standard of surface that Newton have at Blairmount?

I think Stranraer are looking to play their South fixtures on the 3G at the Academy - will be the same standard of surface that Newton have at Blairmount?

Aye it's a great surface... But they can't play games there as it isn't currently a south registered ground! They are intending to play games at Stair Park as far as I know

Might be a slight problem as Newton Stewart were refused permission to play on it when they were having flooding problems 3 year ago. SOS said the dressing rooms were too far from ground.Their words not mine!

However they seem to have flexible rules so could be ok.

Re surface, it is the same as Kirkcudbright and Lockerbie. Blairmount is rugby compliant which means it has a thicker shock pad under the grass.

Might be a slight problem as Newton Stewart were refused permission to play on it when they were having flooding problems 3 year ago. SOS said the dressing rooms were too far from ground.Their words not mine!
However they seem to have flexible rules so could be ok.
Re surface, it is the same as Kirkcudbright and Lockerbie. Blairmount is rugby compliant which means it has a thicker shock pad under the grass.

Surely it can't be the same as Lockerbie... Lockerbie and Dumfries High are of a similar (poor) standard with Kirkcudbright and Stranraer being similar and far better...

Must depend on the usage and the maintainance. Newton and Dumfries are both rugby compliant fact but Dumfries is very much overused hence the bad state.

As far as I am lead to believe Stranraer ,Lockerbie and Saints are all the same spec ie not rugby compliant

Doesn't square with announcement that season tickets will be valid at SOS league games. How can control access at the Academy when all you have to do to watch free is stand against the outside wall.

Archived