New Clubs

For what it's worth , the future for SOS clubs is to look to engaging better with their local communities and becoming 'community clubs' . I know this goes on already to some extent but dare I suggest that looking at the model adopted by the Stewartry Rugby Club is the way ahead ?

There are too many inward looking individuals who are hell bent on holding on desperately to the past and perpetuate petty grudges.

Simple message...change or die.

Maybe the Stewartry Rugby Club isn't the best example to use when you consider there aren't that many Rugby Clubs in Dumfries & Galloway compared to 3 SoS Clubs and 2 LL Clubs in the Stewartry alone.

If the SFA are hell bent on creating new clubs in the West then maybe they should create a West of Scotland League.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not opposing anyone moving up but why did EK join south and leave so soon after

Was it not that they expressed interest in and then applied for SOS league to start with, then LL was launched and they got into LL shortly after joining SOS?

Nothing to bar Ayrshire teams joining , Girvan competed in the league for years.

Perhaps travelling , minimum ground requirements etc are prohibitive.

Or perhaps they see it as a backward step. You are right about the quality in Ayrshire amateurs.

Can teams from the West of Scotland not join the league without changing its name e.g, what about Ayrshire teams. Plenty of quality there, though mostly in the Juniors it has to be said.

Jim

Definitely:

Edusport Academy (Hamilton) - 2014-present

East Kilbride - 2013 [briefly]

Girvan - 1951-62, 1975-2005

also for completeness:

Ayr Utd Reserves - 1946-48

Kilmarnock Reserves - 1946-48

Talk of Lochmaben & Morton Thistle looking into the possibility of going South from what I've heard. Changing facilities and a pitch which meets criteria for both could be the stumbling block. Both are well run clubs and both do a hell of a travelling in the league's they're in just now.

Not really following you - SOS League is below LL in the pyramid. Naturally some clubs will aspire to moving upward, or through and upward.

Similar to the Conference sitting below the Football League in England, where many clubs hope to ascend.

Could another league be planted in at this tier in future? A "western" or "central" league?

FWIW I think the idea of a HL/LL split is pretty daft anyway. East/West/Highland seems like it woulda made more sense to start with.

Could another league be planted in at this tier in future? A "western" or "central" league?

FWIW I think the idea of a HL/LL split is pretty daft anyway. East/West/Highland seems like it woulda made more sense to start with.

I agree entirely, why they went with SOS and EOS quite clearly seems to ignore the West Central belt. Considering the lack of quality and stability in the SOS league I would have thought that a new 'Central Scotland League' could have had the SOS as a feeder league with others such as the Ayrshire league etc. Maybe they will amend it eventually.

I agree entirely, why they went with SOS and EOS quite clearly seems to ignore the West Central belt. Considering the lack of quality and stability in the SOS league I would have thought that a new 'Central Scotland League' could have had the SOS as a feeder league with others such as the Ayrshire league etc. Maybe they will amend it eventually.

It's all product of circumstance. Hopefully capable of development and refinement, IMO.

HL/LL arrangement is down to HL already existing and SFL clubs (as were) compromising on 2 licensed feeders.

Patchy coverage underneath is due to EOSL & SOSL joining-up but Juniors not having done so, thus far.

The Lowland League and their "feeder " systems have been poorly (I was going to say thought out but quite clearly no thought went in to it)set up.From day one it was "who wants to call themselves a football club and join a Lowland League".

Anyone who called for respect for existing clubs and their circumstances was accused of living in the past.

The years of hard work that had gone into making the North South and East Leagues fit for purpose was swept away to allow a clique from the Central belt an easy way into the football system.

Why could they not (with the help of Mr Regan) have set up a parallel West of Scotland League and played off with the other 3 for 3rh Div status?

The answer is too much hastle so do a cuckoo and lay your egg in someone else's nest and to hell with their circumstances.

If the aim was to stiffle football in certain areas then they have succeeded.

If it was to better football in general then it has failed miserably.

There is no way the SFL clubs would have accepted 3 southern feeders in the form of the EOS, SOS and a new WOS league.

They traditionally demanded a nationwide feeder and compromised on 2 feeders. Also the facilities and the standards in the EOS/SOS are too patchy.

Clubs would have been dropping from SFL3 (now SPFL2) into levels with clubs playing on public parks and getting hammered every week.

Until Juniors are involved, it can't be called a comprehensive system, but it is at least a start. Which is better than continuing having no pyramid at all.

I think there has been progress, yes.

We now have a pyramid system - not a comprehensive one, but one which has incorporated all of Senior football (with the minor exception of the North Caledonian League) - offering access into the SPFL.

Quality clubs from the EOS & SOS leagues have also been brought together in LL. This has seen improved facilities, and most seem to agree it has increased competition and improved the standard of play.

I don't think many people could dispute those conclusions if being objective.

It is not the finished picture but it is at least a start. I would rather have a pyramid operating and requiring amendment, than continue with none at all.

Will the NCL become HL 1st Division in future? Would be an avenue for the North Juniors to progress.

That would be ideal, however the NCL contains an island club in Orkney and you can already see objections. I believe the NCL is down to only six clubs as well so needs some reform.

Will the NCL become HL 1st Division in future? Would be an avenue for the North Juniors to progress.

Doubt it. For some time they've run with about half-a-dozen clubs playing about a dozen games, and some parks are very basic. If there is ever proper integration they'd become an additional Junior district, or be absorbed into NR Juniors West District, IMO.

Archived