New Clubs

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always good to get new blood into the league but YMCA are something of n embarrassment. There are always plenty of folk prepared to take a pop at the league and I'm afradi teams like Y are more ammo for the detractors.

No more amateurish clubs should be in league. Should be based on all assessments similar to that of getting into the lowlands is but obv at a lesser standard.

League positions in current league should be considered when applying.

Decent dug outs.

Shelter o some sort for fans as it's hard enough gettin folk to gan watch.

A stable and well run club with a decent committee backing.

A projection o were they see their club within a few years.

No that tram is great but we are working on that

A few away games ave bn at start of this season whar U can't even get a pie or ocht close by is not acceptable and a like ma food. IMO to many teams from dumfries now so another yin to area might weaken teams that's already in. Hopefully Threave or dalbeattie come back to our league but chances o that is slim to nill. Probaly a team from stranraer is what is needed but that affect us at wigtown to much so we will rule that out

No more amateurish clubs should be in league. Should be based on all assessments similar to that of getting into the lowlands is but obv at a lesser standard.

League positions in current league should be considered when applying.

Decent dug outs.

Shelter o some sort for fans as it's hard enough gettin folk to gan watch.

A stable and well run club with a decent committee backing.

A projection o were they see their club within a few years.

No that tram is great but we are working on that

A few away games ave bn at start of this season whar U can't even get a pie or ocht close by is not acceptable and a like ma food. IMO to many teams from dumfries now so another yin to area might weaken teams that's already in. Hopefully Threave or dalbeattie come back to our league but chances o that is slim to nill. Probaly a team from stranraer is what is needed but that affect us at wigtown to much so we will rule that out

Yeah cos the south league is the best league around and all the teams have facilities like you say!! surely it's about getting teams in area into league and playing football first and foremost.

Also have you seen Lochmaben over the past several seasons? Won everything going in amateurs & In with a chance of winning the Lanarkshire league in their first season also.

How many Saturday playing clubs are there in D&G outwith LL & SOS League nowadays? Lochmaben and Maxwelltown in the Lanarkshire amateurs, Langholm and Bowholm in the Border amateurs, Kello in the Juniors?

Basically the SOS League will have to look beyond the confines of the council area if it wants to continue attracting clubs, as it has done with Edusport this season and did previously with Girvan and East Kilbride (albeit they moved upto LL before kicking a ball). Plus that'll presumably be its role within the pyramid, for now.

Reality is there are no clubs out there (D & G) who can offer that sort of quality.

May be some mercenary applications from the central belt of course.

What would qualify certain clubs as 'mercenaries', out of interest.

Not really following you - SOS League is below LL in the pyramid. Naturally some clubs will aspire to moving upward, or through and upward.

Similar to the Conference sitting below the Football League in England, where many clubs hope to ascend.

You are absolutely right. I guess the point I am trying to make is that they are only likely to be in the SOS for a very short time which doesn't really improve the quality of the league.

At the other end of the scale , teams getting hammered 18 -0 does nothing for the league either.

The league needs to provide stability to improve quality. The reality is that few D&G clubs have the resources to progress to the Lowland League, teams like EDU will use their membership as a flag of convenience on their way to better things.

Fact of life I'm afraid. Little prospect of D & G teams progressing with an ageing population , loss of interest in football and youngsters moving away.

The central belt is populous and wealthy in comparison.

Really think EDU Sports ambition is to play in SOS ?

Likewise EK who succumbed to a better offer.

totally agree left half , South committee fooled into accepting EK and again Edu who no way really want to be in South league (maybe a 2nd X1 as they have enough players and resources)

Now I'm not following you, PAFC.

You can't be a Senior league and in the pyramid on the one hand, and oppose clubs moving up into the Lowland League & SPFL on the other.

Are you suggesting EK & Edusport should've been rejected?

Now I'm not following you, PAFC.

You can't be a Senior league and in the pyramid on the one hand, and oppose clubs moving up into the Lowland League & SPFL on the other.

Are you suggesting EK & Edusport should've been rejected?

not opposing anyone moving up but why did EK join south and leave so soon after

For what it's worth , the future for SOS clubs is to look to engaging better with their local communities and becoming 'community clubs' . I know this goes on already to some extent but dare I suggest that looking at the model adopted by the Stewartry Rugby Club is the way ahead ?

There are too many inward looking individuals who are hell bent on holding on desperately to the past and perpetuate petty grudges.

Simple message...change or die.

Archived