seasons report card

gailplattisafish

TOOK THE OPPORTUNITY TO FOLLOW THE LEAGUE THIS SEASON. SAW EVERY TEAM 2/3 TIMES AT LEAST. MY REPORT IS AS FOLLOWS. TEAM OF YEAR....EDINBURGH CITY. 10/10. BIG STRONG POWERFUL AND COMPLETE. LOOK EVERY INCH A LEAGUE SIDE. MOST ENTERTAINING TEAM....EAST KILBRIDE. FAST SKILFUL TECHNICALLY EXCELLENT AND EVERY PLAYER COMFORTABLE ON THE BALL. WORST TEAM....THREAVE ROVERS.(SORRY!). PLAYER OF THE SEASON..... BIG JO MBU AT CITY. A COLOSSUS. DOMINATED STRIKERS ALL SEASON AND HAS ENHANCED THE LEAGUES REPUTATION. DESERVES PROMOTION. MUCH RESPECT TO THE MAN. BEST STADIUM.....AINSLIE PARK SPARTANS. GREAT SET UP GREAT PEOPLE GREAT PITCH GREAT CLUB. WORST STADIUM.....VALE'S OR BSC'S ARE UNFORTUNATELY IN NEED OF SOME TLC. BSC ARE CERTAINLY A TEAM ON THE UP THOUGH AND WILL SORT THE OFF PITCH REQUIREMENTS THE SAME WAY THEIR SORTING THE ON FIELDS!. MANAGER OF THE YEAR.....MCGINLEY AT DALBEATTIE STAR. I STOOD AT THE DUG OUT SIDE AT EVERY GAME AND HIS TACTICAL KNOWLEDGE WITH A HINT OF HUMOUR IS TOP NOTCH. GENERAL SUMMERY.....HAVING FOLLOWED MANY LEAGUES I'VE FOUND THIS LEAGUE TO BE REFRESHING. QUALITY COACHES GOOD PLAYERS FRIENDLY CLUBS WELL RUN AND ALL IN ALL VERY PROFESSIONAL AND FORWARD THINKING.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TOOK THE OPPORTUNITY TO FOLLOW THE LEAGUE THIS SEASON. SAW EVERY TEAM 2/3 TIMES AT LEAST. MY REPORT IS AS FOLLOWS. TEAM OF YEAR....EDINBURGH CITY. 10/10. BIG STRONG POWERFUL AND COMPLETE. LOOK EVERY INCH A LEAGUE SIDE. MOST ENTERTAINING TEAM....EAST KILBRIDE. FAST SKILFUL TECHNICALLY EXCELLENT AND EVERY PLAYER COMFORTABLE ON THE BALL. WORST TEAM....THREAVE ROVERS.(SORRY!). PLAYER OF THE SEASON..... BIG JO MBU AT CITY. A COLOSSUS. DOMINATED STRIKERS ALL SEASON AND HAS ENHANCED THE LEAGUES REPUTATION. DESERVES PROMOTION. MUCH RESPECT TO THE MAN. BEST STADIUM.....AINSLIE PARK SPARTANS. GREAT SET UP GREAT PEOPLE GREAT PITCH GREAT CLUB. WORST STADIUM.....VALE'S OR BSC'S ARE UNFORTUNATELY IN NEED OF SOME TLC. BSC ARE CERTAINLY A TEAM ON THE UP THOUGH AND WILL SORT THE OFF PITCH REQUIREMENTS THE SAME WAY THEIR SORTING THE ON FIELDS!. MANAGER OF THE YEAR.....MCGINLEY AT DALBEATTIE STAR. I STOOD AT THE DUG OUT SIDE AT EVERY GAME AND HIS TACTICAL KNOWLEDGE WITH A HINT OF HUMOUR IS TOP NOTCH. GENERAL SUMMERY.....HAVING FOLLOWED MANY LEAGUES I'VE FOUND THIS LEAGUE TO BE REFRESHING. QUALITY COACHES GOOD PLAYERS FRIENDLY CLUBS WELL RUN AND ALL IN ALL VERY PROFESSIONAL AND FORWARD THINKING.

have to agree with manager of the year!!!

Best Team which isn't US: Kilby gave us a good game whenever we played them. Bubbling under: BSC Glasgow. Reckon those two will be the teams to watch next year

Best Lager: BSC - the Maryhill Social Club pours a fine pint.

Best Stadium: Purely subjective but I always like our trips to Selkirk.

Best Pies: Kilby and Gretna. Hottest pies must be at the Pennypit- scorching although Edin Uni run them close.

Best photographer: Yon chap that does the photos for the City programme. :ph34r:

Best programme: Well, if it's no' ours- I have to say hats off to all those who produce programmes but Selkirk did a nice one last week and Jamie does a good job at Whitehill.

Place most likely to see a re-enactment of Hitchcock's "The Birds": Pennypit, wi' those doos. Or Gretna with thae starlings

Game I enjoyed that did not involve City: Sorry Grim, it was Spartans 0 BSC 3- a result I wasn't really expecting but BSC played well that day.

Nicest manager: Sammy is always a gentleman. Dorian Ogunro and Neil Irvine are good guys too and Big Shelley is a true lady.

Merit award: Edin Uni for transforming Peffermill East into a decent wee stadium. Spartans for that Cup run, taking out some SFL sides on the way.

City result everyone else in the Lowland League could enjoy: Us putting West Junior Champions Auchinleck Talbot out of the Scottish Cup and shutting up a few "Juniors are better" bores.

Surprises of the year:

City winning the League... he said, disloyally! :whistle

Seeing a "football traffic" sign at Dalbeattie on Ground Hopper Weekend :lol:

The weather at Vale on the first day of the season in August.. pish down!

Shelley Kerr being appointed at Stirling Uni. She has the necessary coaching badges and I though she'd do well, I just didn't see it coming.

Preston Ath winning at Ainslie Park

Gary O'Connor..........

......lasting the season!

and finally

Grim buying a City badge at the stall this afternoon.. :)

Thanks tam for a good wee mention for bsc i think we have been pretty good sometimes this season since the new regime took over, hoping to finish mid table and a cup final on the way and a quarter final with ekfc its been a pretty good first season and with four new signings on the way next season should be really interesting

Got to be happy with Gretna's top 3 finish, probably biggest over achievers this season, all the rest I have refrained from using GFC players but Brandon Longcake's goal v EK is without shadow of a doubt goal if the season.

Best Team- Edinburgh City (anybody that says otherwise is clearly mental)

Worst Team- Preston Ath (Theave always raise their game against us)

Under Achievers- Spartans (cup run excellent though)

Best Player- Craig Mcleish and Victoria at EK really impressed me.

Best Ground- Always a big fan of Gala but like Rosewell for banter and atmosphere

Worst- BSC (enough said)

Craziest Moment - WW getting rid of Mickey Lawson (baffling)

Best Team- Edinburgh City by a mile(Said through gritted teeth)

Worst Team- Preston Ath or Theave

Under Achievers- WW. I expected so much more (Spartans saved by excellent cup run)

Best Player- Ortega at City and Vitoria at EK were good when I saw them However I am fed with Summerville scoring against us we will have to sign him!

Best Ground-Impressed with the wooden terracing at Selkirk. I would like to see Threave and Dalbeattie with big crowds though.

Worst- The CLP

Craziest Moment - WW getting rid of Mickey Lawson (and replacing him with carnie!!!)

Best result - Spartans beating Full-time Morton. (Honourable mention to City for beating Talbot)

Best programme: Always enjoy reading the City programme.

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City wankers.

Bottom of the Class - Threave Rovers, sorry I love coming down there, so hope there's no relegation just yet.

Best moment - Us beating the big boys in the big Cup.

Worst moment - Us only winning 1/.2 as many games as City wankers.

Best Spartans players - Beezer, Bremner & Hovie.

Best non Spartans players I've seen this season. EK's Victoria, what a talent that lad is. Mbu at Ed City, despite yesterday's nervous start he was still a class act.

Best Away Ground - Threave (see I told you I love it).

Worst Away Ground - The CLP. Always fucking freezing in there. wankers.

Best Programme - City's like the colour edition yesterday, still not finished reading it yet either! wankers.

Best food at ground - Ours & East Kilby.

Best Ale house (nr ground) - Sulwath brewery pub (Threave Rovers) or the Traquair Arms (Vale of Leithen).

Shit beer - Dabeattie Star.

Best Banter - Gretna 08 or the Welfare.

Best fan that fucking glory hunter Tam the Bam.

Grimbo

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City wankers.

Bottom of the Class - Threave Rovers, sorry I love coming down there, so hope there's no relegation just yet.

Best moment - Us beating the big boys in the big Cup.

Worst moment - Us only winning 1/.2 as many games as City wankers.

Best Spartans players - Beezer, Bremner & Hovie.

Best non Spartans players I've seen this season. EK's Victoria, what a talent that lad is. Mbu at Ed City, despite yesterday's nervous start he was still a class act.

Best Away Ground - Threave (see I told you I love it).

Worst Away Ground - The CLP. Always fucking freezing in there. wankers.

Best Programme - City's like the colour edition yesterday, still not finished reading it yet either! wankers.

Best food at ground - Ours & East Kilby.

Best Ale house (nr ground) - Sulwath brewery pub (Threave Rovers) or the Traquair Arms (Vale of Leithen).

Shit beer - Dabeattie Star.

Best Banter - Gretna 08 or the Welfare.

Best fan that fucking glory hunter Tam the Bam.

Grimbo

I think I see our programme editor's style has rubbed off on you Grim cheers ya big Manc twat

Best Team- Edinburgh City by a mile(Said through gritted teeth)

Worst Team- Preston Ath or Theave

Under Achievers- WW. I expected so much more (Spartans saved by excellent cup run)

Best Player- Ortega at City and Vitoria at EK were good when I saw them However I am fed with Summerville scoring against us we will have to sign him!

Best Ground-Impressed with the wooden terracing at Selkirk. I would like to see Threave and Dalbeattie with big crowds though.

Worst- The CLP

Craziest Moment - WW getting rid of Mickey Lawson (and replacing him with carnie!!!)

Best result - Spartans beating Full-time Morton. (Honourable mention to City for beating Talbot)

Best programme: Always enjoy reading the City programme.

The CLP??? Am I being really thick??

I take it Rocky you've not been following any of the shithouse related threads?

Concrete Lavatory Pan = Meadowbank

Grimbo

I call it the Etihad Grim ... City ... Council facility and loads of empty seats ...

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City

Bottom of the Class - Selkirk, (Threave and Preston gave us good games)

Best moment - Brandon's goal from about 55 yards out against ???(I forgot someone will remind me)

Worst moment - Losing 4-0 to Whitehill midweek

Best Gretna players - Any of the lads up front.

Best non Gretna players I've seen this season. EK's Victoria and McLeish?? (young lad playing up front with him)

Best Away Ground - I always like Whitehill

Worst Away Ground - The CLP. Always fucking freezing in there.(No need to edit Grim here)

Best Programme - Apart from ours City's, still not finished reading it yet either!

Best food at ground - Ours

Best Banter - Dalbeattie or the Welfare (Both are the most passionate in the league)

Cic

I may point out that the CLP, or Concrete Lavvy Pan, was the name given to the Commonwealth Stadium, Meadowbank, London Road, Edinburgh by the writers of AWOL, a seminal 1980s Meadowbank Thistle fanzine some of the contributors of which watch the MIGHTY City today.

We used to have a free standing flagpole at the CLP. Very handy for flying League Flags from you know :P

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City

Bottom of the Class - Selkirk, (Threave and Preston gave us good games)

Best moment - Brandon's goal from about 55 yards out against ???(I forgot someone will remind me)

Worst moment - Losing 4-0 to Whitehill midweek

Best Gretna players - Any of the lads up front.

Best non Gretna players I've seen this season. EK's Victoria and McLeish?? (young lad playing up front with him)

Best Away Ground - I always like Whitehill

Worst Away Ground - The CLP. Always fucking freezing in there.(No need to edit Grim here)

Best Programme - Apart from ours City's, still not finished reading it yet either!

Best food at ground - Ours

Best Banter - Dalbeattie or the Welfare (Both are the most passionate in the league)

Cic

If it was Brandons lobbed finish from inFront of the home dug out it was the equaliser in a 2-2 draw at home to Selkirk

Cough cough edit worst team comment . Ha

If it was Brandons lobbed finish from inFront of the home dug out it was the equaliser in a 2-2 draw at home to Selkirk

Cough cough edit worst team comment . Ha

I just have in mind the 9 at Yarrow Park.

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City ... what a season in the League

Bottom of the Class - Threave Rovers

Best moments - Away wins coming from behind to win 3-1 at Spartans, 4-2 at Preston with 10 men and 4-0 at Gretna.

Worst moment - Losing 1-0 to East Stirling when they were there for the taking in the Scottish Cup ... 1-0 to Strollers in the South Challenge Cup SF ... Kerr Dodds serious injury ... never nice to see a manager leave.

Best players - At Whitehill ... Bryan Young and Aaron Somerville. Elsewhere ... Joe Mbu at Edinburgh City, Brandon Longcake at Gretna & Craig McLeish of EK

Best Away Ground - Islecroft Dalbeattie Star / Raydale Park Gretna 2008

Worst Away Ground - Preston Athletic ... sorry ... we visited on a wet day and it was hard going in amongst the pigeon sh*te! The new roof will make a big difference.

Best Programme - Almost every club issued regularly this year which is fantastic. Gala's is a great full colour effort ... I'll also go for Alick's Citizen which is a superb read.

Best food at ground - Spartans new pies very nice / Raydale hospitality

Best Banter - Gretna 08 or Spartans

Funniest moment - Newky celebrating Aaron's 2nd goal early in the 2nd half at Gretna by roaring in the committee room window while we finished our tea off ... Newky coming out of the portaloo at Spartans wondering if it was 2-2 or if we'd made it 3-1

Top of the Class - Edinburgh City ... what a season in the League

Bottom of the Class - Threave Rovers

Best moments - Away wins coming from behind to win 3-1 at Spartans, 4-2 at Preston with 10 men and 4-0 at Gretna.

Worst moment - Losing 1-0 to East Stirling when they were there for the taking in the Scottish Cup ... 1-0 to Strollers in the South Challenge Cup SF ... Kerr Dodds serious injury ... never nice to see a manager leave.

Best players - At Whitehill ... Bryan Young and Aaron Somerville. Elsewhere ... Joe Mbu at Edinburgh City, Brandon Longcake at Gretna & Craig McLeish of EK

Best Away Ground - Islecroft Dalbeattie Star / Raydale Park Gretna 2008

Worst Away Ground - Preston Athletic ... sorry ... we visited on a wet day and it was hard going in amongst the pigeon sh*te! The new roof will make a big difference.

Best Programme - Almost every club issued regularly this year which is fantastic. Gala's is a great full colour effort ... I'll also go for Alick's Citizen which is a superb read.

Best food at ground - Spartans new pies very nice / Raydale hospitality

Best Banter - Gretna 08 or Spartans

Funniest moment - Newky celebrating Aaron's 2nd goal early in the 2nd half at Gretna by roaring in the committee room window while we finished our tea off ... Newky coming out of the portaloo at Spartans wondering if it was 2-2 or if we'd made it 3-1

Ha ha Rab :D

Got to agree with a lot of that....special mention to Aaron who wasnt even quoted for the golden boot when aw the big names were mentioned :thumsup2

Selkirk always do good food. Vale good for an ice cream :D

Bizarre moments 1) Did Selkirk actually start a game recently with 10 players or was it a wind up ? 2) BSC being allowed to play a home game some 75 miles away at Galashiels (sorry BSC if ye trying to build a fan base around Glasgow who allowed that ?)

If this league to be professional and taken seriously these are two issues that need looked at ?

Finally despite some criticism on here for us playing/not playing the young under 20 lads I think ALL LL teams should have a team in (no enough teams in this league at Present) and maybes have the games played on the same day before the actual 1st teams play. Obviously no on the same pitches but in the same area (EK brought their youngsters through on the same day as their senior fixture so its certainly doable :unsure2: ......

Just a quick one Best XI ??? This is just going off games I've seen, and probably more recent games stay fresh in memory. Struggled for LB so stuck to what I new best. Think it would take some beating and probably win League 2 at a canter ????

4-1-3-2

Marshall (Stirling)

RB Brown (Spartans)

CB Mbu (Edin City)

CB Cuff (Stirling)

LB Inglis (Gretna)

CM McLeish (EK)

J Stevens (Vale)

Sloan (Dalb)

Longcake (Gretna)

Sommerville (WW)

Victoria (EK)