Morton v Peterhead

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont have issues with either of them and I'm sure a lot of Morton fans are in the same boat.

Jim had a fair few critics in his time as Morton manager and some will always have a grudge. I actually quite liked him but also felt it was the right time to go.

Jamie just didnt work out at Morton. Came here with so much potential but never really lived up to that. Nothing against him, he did ok for us but that was about it.

Jim McInally is a really nice guy but failed to shine as Morton manager for whatever reason. I would add he is not alone in that! As usual, we have a group of fans though who dished out the abuse including a couple who gave he and his wife dogs abuse after losing the play off at Peterhead. If Jim carries grudges against these guys, I do not blame him and of course that is reciprocated by those concerned.

Jamie Stevenson was and is a decent player but when Irons arrived he had a big guys only policy for the team and Jamie got frozen out. Like many ex Morton players, he has come back to haunt us now and again, most recently scoring in a 1-0 victory for Peterhead at Cappielow earlier is season.

Cheers for the feedback guys. Jist wondered what the craic wis. Have spoken to Jim on many occasions, & comes across as a decent guy. As for Jamie Stevenson, have liked what I've seen of him this season. Been out on occasion with injuries, but would gladly see him re-sign for next season.

Who's got a copy of that belter of a song someone made about Martin Hardie a few years ago...?

I didn't think anyone would have.

Still have this offending number on the hard drive...

To the tune of Chiquitita by Abba

Martin Hardie, You and I know

How the freekicks come and they go and they fly off target

You'll be scoring once again and the pain will end

You will have no time for missing

Martin Hardie, you and I cry

But the fans still believe in the cowshed above you

Let me see you score once more like you did before

Score a free kick, Martin Hardie

Try once more like you did before

Score a free kick, Martin Hardie

McInally was mediocre. We did have a good season under him when we won the second division, but he was badly out of his depth in the first. Rae would have kept him if it wasn't clear that he was taking us back down, and it was only a reluctant acceptance of a resignation in the end.

I was never particularly a fan, I thought his teams were a bit soft. Good on their day but often crumbled. I felt pretty much the same way about Allan Moore. Each had 2 mediocre (at best) seasons where we underachieved, one good season when expectations were at least matched, and one complete disaster.

I don't really understand why McInally got so much abuse, and why some of it was directed in such an aggressive manner. He was just a guy who didn't quite have the answers most of the time.

Stevenson epitomised the softness of McInally's teams, he disappeared in the last few months under McInally with a mysterious injury, and never really reappeared under Irons. Good player, but not the greatest athlete. Many fans preferred him to Chris Millar when we won the second, but their careers have went in opposite directions since then. If Stevenson had Millar's drive, determination, and energy then his career might have went in the same direction.

McInally was mediocre. We did have a good season under him when we won the second division, but he was badly out of his depth in the first. Rae would have kept him if it wasn't clear that he was taking us back down, and it was only a reluctant acceptance of a resignation in the end.

I was never particularly a fan, I thought his teams were a bit soft. Good on their day but often crumbled. I felt pretty much the same way about Allan Moore. Each had 2 mediocre (at best) seasons where we underachieved, one good season when expectations were at least matched, and one complete disaster.

I don't really understand why McInally got so much abuse, and why some of it was directed in such an aggressive manner. He was just a guy who didn't quite have the answers most of the time.

Stevenson epitomised the softness of McInally's teams, he disappeared in the last few months under McInally with a mysterious injury, and never really reappeared under Irons. Good player, but not the greatest athlete. Many fans preferred him to Chris Millar when we won the second, but their careers have went in opposite directions since then. If Stevenson had Millar's drive, determination, and energy then his career might have went in the same direction.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Unlike the luckless chumps at the club you claimed to support until they slid into the relegation play-offs recently, Morton fans do not consider winning promotion at the third time of asking, with two seasons on a vastly larger budget than any of the nearest competition, as anything other than mediocre. And he resigned with the club in the relegation play-off spot in the First Division, off a run of something like one win in thirteen matches.

So I'm afraid that none of your revisionism is going to work here.

Disagree that Jimmy Mac had a mediocre spell, he got us out the 2nd division and steady in the first division.

He took 3 years to get out of a division we were, for the majority, the only full time team, and would have had us relegated straight back down had his resignation not been accepted at the umpteenth time.

Disagree that Jimmy Mac had a mediocre spell, he got us out the 2nd division and steady in the first division.

It wasn't steady in the First Division, it was all downhill after a good start. In the end he had lost 6 of his last 7 league games and we had only kept one clean sheet in the league since the august. 6 points from his last 11 games and 17 from his last 22 - this shows the downward trajectory over quite a long period.

The warning signs were there from the season before when we were bullied off the park in the challenge cup semi against Clyde. I think for most Morton fans it was a case of taking too long to get to the First Division, and weren't prepared for the step up when we got there. We peddled the myth that somehow it gets easier physically when you step up a league, and we suffered for it. Maybe it would've been different if we hadn't spent the summer of '07 chasing unrealistic targets, but the bottom line was that we were getting bullied back out of that league until McInally had his resignation accepted.

Football management is an incredibly difficult job, McInally didn't quite have what it took to step up a level when it mattered. I very much enjoyed our league winning season, we played some good football and had a great win in the Scottish Cup - certainly no hard feelings towards McInally after that. But we didn't build on it. Rae certainly wouldn't have let him go if it didn't look very likely that we were going down, failing to have a steady season was his downfall.

The late goals in the 2-1 defeat in his last game against Clyde summed up how soft we were that year.

It wasn't steady in the First Division, it was all downhill after a good start. In the end he had lost 6 of his last 7 league games and we had only kept one clean sheet in the league since the august. 6 points from his last 11 games and 17 from his last 22 - this shows the downward trajectory over quite a long period.

The warning signs were there from the season before when we were bullied off the park in the challenge cup semi against Clyde. I think for most Morton fans it was a case of taking too long to get to the First Division, and weren't prepared for the step up when we got there. We peddled the myth that somehow it gets easier physically when you step up a league, and we suffered for it. Maybe it would've been different if we hadn't spent the summer of '07 chasing unrealistic targets, but the bottom line was that we were getting bullied back out of that league until McInally had his resignation accepted.

Football management is an incredibly difficult job, McInally didn't quite have what it took to step up a level when it mattered. I very much enjoyed our league winning season, we played some good football and had a great win in the Scottish Cup - certainly no hard feelings towards McInally after that. But we didn't build on it. Rae certainly wouldn't have let him go if it didn't look very likely that we were going down, failing to have a steady season was his downfall.

The late goals in the 2-1 defeat in his last game against Clyde summed up how soft we were that year.

That's probably as fair an assessment of what happened as you'll find. And, skillful as he was, Jamie Stevemson was symptomatic of that side.

Hard not to think back to the 2003 finale - a nerve racking, emotional and eventually glorious day for all ton fans. We're in a different place now as many fans have become disillusioned and this season has been a bit of a struggle with many having little confidence in the manager. This has been the most 'scenic' of seasons as the team has come back from the dead on quite a few occasions to send the fans home buzzing with excitement.

We've had some great individual stories... the goals from dece, the emergence of Mark Russell as an exciting talent, the resurrection of Lamie and Stef McCluskey from low expectation to important team members and the growing in stature of Derek Gaston into a clear POTY and a real hero in many games. Big Tam O'Ware has been a favourite of mine as he's played everywhere on the park and epitomises the spirit of this team. I hope, for all our players that we finish this season on a high - respect to every one of them. The nerves are starting to build again partly because of what's at stake in next seasons Championship and partly because there's a possibility of it slipping out of our fingers on the final day. I think we'll prevail on the day, but feel sure that Peterhead will make it very tough for us.

I initially thought we might get about 3.5k at this game but I'm revising my estimate upwards as I'm aware of increasing interest from locals/non Morton fans.

Anyway I'll finish with a prediction of 3-1 to the Mighty !

Hard not to think back to the 2003 finale - a nerve racking, emotional and eventually glorious day for all ton fans. We're in a different place now as many fans have become disillusioned and this season has been a bit of a struggle with many having little confidence in the manager. This has been the most 'scenic' of seasons as the team has come back from the dead on quite a few occasions to send the fans home buzzing with excitement.

We've had some great individual stories... the goals from dece, the emergence of Mark Russell as an exciting talent, the resurrection of Lamie and Stef McCluskey from low expectation to important team members and the growing in stature of Derek Gaston into a clear POTY and a real hero in many games. Big Tam O'Ware has been a favourite of mine as he's played everywhere on the park and epitomises the spirit of this team. I hope, for all our players that we finish this season on a high - respect to every one of them. The nerves are starting to build again partly because of what's at stake in next seasons Championship and partly because there's a possibility of it slipping out of our fingers on the final day. I think we'll prevail on the day, but feel sure that Peterhead will make it very tough for us.

I initially thought we might get about 3.5k at this game but I'm revising my estimate upwards as I'm aware of increasing interest from locals/non Morton fans.

Anyway I'll finish with a prediction of 3-1 to the Mighty !

Nice post.

I remember that season well, especially the nail biting last couple of games. I actually missed the decider, because weeks earlier I'd booked a night away with the wife for her birthday, not thinking for a minute the game would be so important. Made her sit in the car park at the Airth Castle Hotel while I listened to the end of the game and the aftermath!

Aye, there have been some good things come out of this season, and I'm looking forward to Saturday (I'll be there this time!). 3-1 would be great!

Archived