QP v Shire

Shire's dream just about died for the playoffs last week and we're home and dry for 2nd place. It's meaningless in terms of points on the board, but it's massively important in terms of momentum for the playoffs. Would be nice to go into the big games on the back of two wins. This group of players don't seem like the type who would drop the intensity and I expect us to go out and take the game to Shire. Any word on Shaun Rooney? Obviously, it's not worth risking him if he's not 100%. 2-0 Queen's.

Which is the more important......maintaining momentum or resting players for the play-offs? In an ideal world the correct answer is "both" of course, but if Gus gives our fringe players (Lochhead, McVey, Moore, Hynes, McPherson, Gibson, McGregor, Fraser & Fotheringham) a game and we lose, then I'd prefer that to a resounding win with Muir and Berry getting crocked. Also, good to see that the club website continues to keep us all well informed on the Millar issue - the last two league games would have been an ideal time to bring him back in preparation for a place on the bench for the play-offs.

Which is the more important......maintaining momentum or resting players for the play-offs? In an ideal world the correct answer is "both" of course, but if Gus gives our fringe players (Lochhead, McVey, Moore, Hynes, McPherson, Gibson, McGregor, Fraser & Fotheringham) a game and we lose, then I'd prefer that to a resounding win with Muir and Berry getting crocked. Also, good to see that the club website continues to keep us all well informed on the Millar issue - the last two league games would have been an ideal time to bring him back in preparation for a place on the bench for the play-offs.

Momentum is definitely more important. We've not been playing two games a week or anything, so the rest isn't required and there's also a huge incentive to keep/fight for places in the starting XI.

I seem to remember the last time that we played Arbroath in the play-offs that their then manager made a point of using their "dead-rubber" league games to rest those players who'd played 30+ games that season so that they would be fresher for the play-offs, and we know how that turned out when we didn't do likewise. Rest doesn't necessarily refer to physical freshness as players can sometimes benefit from having a week off, and then being sharper when they return.

We've already potentially lost Rooney (50/50) and Millar, so why risk key players, or anyone carrying little knocks or whom are close to their suspension thresholds. It's a balance of risks decision, and in Gus we trust.

The last time we played Arbroath in the play offs our participation in them went down to the last game at Forfar so we didn't have the option of resting anyone! I think you're getting them mixed up with Stranraer

no I'm not, just making the point that ARBROATH(re-read what I said) rested players for a few games before they played us a few seasons ago and it didn't do them any harm, so just suggesting that we could do likewise now that we have the luxury of being able to do so in our next two games

A distinct lack of adrenaline on our part. So flat. Typical end of season affair and we really couldn't have complained if Shire had come away with all three points. Hope for an improvement next week, but ultimately just looking forward to the playoffs.

A flat, jaded performance where 'Shire were by far the better team - still think some players wouldn't be fresher if given a week off or that fringe players hungry to show what they could do wouldn't inject a bit more appetite? A wasted opportunity to make some changes today, and hopefully we'll not be risking our key players (Muir, Wharton, Berry & Woods) v Clyde next week. On a more positive note, Rooney was looking sprightly today, so hopefully ok for the play-offs?

Archived