Can't help but think it's a waste having terracing in new builds. I know it gives an increased capacity but it also means a rebuild job in the future usually.

It may have been the cheaper option as its recycled. it was a the Dane Bank Terrace at Northwich Victoria and is now shorter in length, with the roof being lowered

7DPSMyM.jpg

it was not just the metal that was recycled. They even re used the concrete which looked a mess when put in as it was just put down as it came in so yellow markings all over the place but its been sorted now.

_MG_6298-XL.jpg

jVz0v9R.jpg

sHqsRvs.jpg

Opening the stadium with a game v Benfica. Youtube some of their vids if you aint sure about them. Then, consider how enjoyable it is to watch football at Livingston, Falkirk, St Mirren, Airdrie, Clyde, or any other soulless lego box, or, you would rather be standing, dancing, singing, and generally making your afternoon at the football a day out, rather than a chore.

• 3 months later...

The capacity of the ground had to be cut before the first league game of the season as it looks like the money ran out.

The stadium looks good from the pitch (Pitch in poor condition for the start of the season)

Football%20July-August%202015%20310_zps1

inside the concourse

Football%20July-August%202015%20287_zps5

inside the concourse, yes they are using portable toilets

Football%20July-August%202015%20238_zpsz

Poor looking pitch and barriers to stop home fans entering half finished side stand.

2134ww6.jpg

unfinished part of the main stand.

I admire FCUM. I don't support them, but to build up a new club from scratch to Conference South level within a decade, run on co-op pirnciples, and to build your own ground ( "poor" :D ) really is a terrific effort and you would have to be a seriously miserable b*****d not to acknowledge that.

On the subject of the "poor" ground, here's how it looked for the first league match of the season. 3,500 in and a real cracker of an atmosphere. FCUM will be nowhere near promotion this term; from Conference South upwards, the climb gets much, much steeper for fan owned clubs and it will be a test of their resolve. Stockport, who have been in complete free fall themselves in recent years- ten years ago they were playing in the CHampionship and they are now at this level, look good for a promotion from early results.

I admire FCUM. I don't support them, but to build up a new club from scratch to Conference South level within a decade, run on co-op pirnciples, and to build your own ground ( "poor" :D ) really is a terrific effort and you would have to be a seriously miserable b*****d not to acknowledge that.

On the subject of the "poor" ground, here's how it looked for the first league match of the season. 3,500 in and a real cracker of an atmosphere. FCUM will be nowhere near promotion this term; from Conference South upwards, the climb gets much, much steeper for fan owned clubs and it will be a test of their resolve. Stockport, who have been in complete free fall themselves in recent years- ten years ago they were playing in the CHampionship and they are now at this level, look good for a promotion from early results.

National League North if I'm being pedantic, but you are right about the rest. If only some Rangers supporters had that attitude.

3,500 in and a real cracker of an atmosphere.

It basically being a derby helped of course but what a difference having a couple of thousand standing on traditional ie killer/unsafe terracing makes. It's a total farce it's not allowed in the Scottish game.

It is allowed in Scottish football - even at the top flight level. Clubs need to get a safety certificate etc, but if a club with traditional terracing (eg Queen of the South) got promoted then I'd expect that they would be allowed to use it in Premiership matches.

Edited by craigkillie

The "poor" comment was not with regard to the ground but the state of the pitch, which the club themselves have acknowledged. They have found the pitch just does not drain and they had to have extra work done on it over the summer. Its gone from looking like a bowling green in April to having yellow patches (Comments posted by a neutral at the first game on the football ground guide forum). With Manchester rain fall this could be a real issue if its not fixed.

The Stockport fan who posted on that forum said all the away end really needed was proper toilets and the 6 steps as per the plans but as the money is not there just now its not a priority.

The club have also taken on board the comments from their own fans re the state of the stand under the terrace and are now appealing for help to concrete the surface and will look at getting toilets and food areas in time (its all served from trestle tables just now)

Credit to those who have come up with the 6.5 million to get things as far as they have and under the principles that the club was set up under they wont accept a commercial deal which could finish of the items that cannot be done just now due to the original project running over budget.

It's starting to look like there's going to come a tipping point where they either abandon their principles and accept funding from elsewhere, or end up plummeting. They could just stagnate, but surely there won't be an endless pool of money there to keep them at that level, without outside investment.

Yeah I reckon they'll accept sponsorship soon, they won't be able to survive above this level without serious sponsorship.

Most of the fans would accept it is an inevitability I'd imagine.

It's starting to look like there's going to come a tipping point where they either abandon their principles and accept funding from elsewhere, or end up plummeting. They could just stagnate, but surely there won't be an endless pool of money there to keep them at that level, without outside investment.

There always is. Newport AFC / County were a fan run club until about this level, one of the first, and needed external investment and development to move beyond it, in the late nineties.

Both Aldershot and Wimbledon were stuck for several years in the top tier of the Ryman League, on their journey back to the National leagues (in those days that was at the same level as National League South, now) before progressing and again only with investment.

In fact Wimbledon now are pretty much the highest-placed "fan-run" club in England, in League Two. I very much doubt FCUM given their size could aim higher than that. In fact, given the state of the Premiershizzzzzz and the growing disillusion with it amongst many fans, I can see quite a few FCUM fans being quite happy progressing maybe to Conf National and leaving it at that. Certainly I don't see such a fan base accepting big money or sponsorship in the near future.

After all FCUM were formed as an alternative to the use of big football clubs as a corporate vehicle/ cash cow. I don't think anyone associated with the club is really interested in overtaking the club they have left behind as such an aim is totally absurd.

In any case after a poor start I think FCUM will be happy enough with a consolidation season this year, after many seasons stuck in the Northern League Premier.

It is allowed in Scottish football - even at the top flight level. Clubs need to get a safety certificate etc, but if a club with traditional terracing (eg Queen of the South) got promoted then I'd expect that they would be allowed to use it in Premiership matches.

I would be amazed if that happened.

I think the point I realised Wimbledon could f**k off was when I learned that AFC in AFC Wimbledon stands for 'A fan's club'.

I never knew that. I'm really rooting for MK Dons to get promoted this year, specifically because you've taught me that.