It is allowed in Scottish football - even at the top flight level. Clubs need to get a safety certificate etc, but if a club with traditional terracing (eg Queen of the South) got promoted then I'd expect that they would be allowed to use it in Premiership matches.

Have they changed the rules since Ross County got promoted and had to put seats in the Jailend?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's starting to look like there's going to come a tipping point where they either abandon their principles and accept funding from elsewhere, or end up plummeting. They could just stagnate, but surely there won't be an endless pool of money there to keep them at that level, without outside investment.

They are in the conference North with teams who get gates of 300-600. They get considerably more than that and their gates could sustain Conference national football easily and probably League Two.

Terracing is allowed upto League One in England, so they would need to win 4 further promotions before that's an issue to them and won't be happening anytime soon given that it's taken them three years or so to get out of the Northern Premier League (tier 7 of the English system).

Agreed roker that they won't be getting promotion this year, I would reckon that it would be 2-3 seasons down the line before that happened.

As for the cup thing, it is difficult as they didn't want to move the game but it is 67,500 quid extra and the FA told them they had no choice. They might be able to do up behind the other goal now for the away end to bring it to the same as the SMRE!

Good for them. They do genuinely seem to have principles, and anyone wondering why they've bothered when they will most likely never make the top tier is missing the point. They ought to be applauded for the willingness to create their own thing rather than chucking their cash at a money-grabbing enterprise purely for the right to gloryhunt and wave twenty titles under people's noses.

For folk wondering if the FC United supporters will get bored, I doubt there's ever going to be a shortage of fans who've been priced out of attending the big club's games. Better for them to be spending their money on a wee club that's been built by, and run for, themselves rather than sitting in the pub forlornly watching a club that now couldn't care less about them on any level.

Still absolutely blows my mind that Rangers' fans never seem to have even discussed setting up their own club, even after the continual parade of fraudsters that have fleeced them over the past few years. Quite a contrast.

Still absolutely blows my mind that Rangers' fans never seem to have even discussed setting up their own club, even after the continual parade of fraudsters that have fleeced them over the past few years. Quite a contrast.

You can't really compare the two tbh, and I don't mean in terms of the respective financial dealings of Rangers and Manchester United.

There exists a totally different culture around non-senior football in England, both in terms of their involvement in the FA Cup and the overall league pyramid. Fine, I'm sure there are a lot of Clydebank fans who still love going to watch their team play, and get a great enjoyment out of their efforts - but non-league football in Scotland is treated as this pathetic sideshow, rather than a smaller part of the big picture.

That's not to say that FCUM supporters have the ultimate aim of seeing their club get promoted to the football league, but you can't deny that the presence of that possibility is a bit more tempting than its absence.

There exists a totally different culture around non-senior football in England

That's because "non-senior" isn't even a concept in England, excepting Sunday league kickabouts. But remember that a unified and consistent pyramid is still a relatively recent invention; before that England had a similar crooked election process and resultant glass ceiling to that in Scotland. I genuinely do anticipate that within a generation we'll have done the same, no matter how parochial the average Junior club boardroom is or how little attention the press gives to anyone except the Old Firm. Look at how quickly it's become a genuine regular occurrence for senior teams to get pumped out of the Scottish Cup by juniors, for instance.

Think Dave King is from Castlemilk originally and the way he pumped in 20 million when David Murray was still in control for not much more than the right to wear a club blazer suggests he isn't in it to asset strip. If he hadn't gained control conditions might have become ripe for something like FCUM to emerge.

FC supporters quit Man U when they were at the top, but we're uneasy about the governance of the club. Rangers supporters lapped up the success and didn't give a shit how it was achieved. There has been numerous opportunities for years to draw a line and start their own club, but it's not in their collective psyche. They want to win, be "better" than Celtic and maintain their traditional values.

I think the only rule in relation to seating is now that grounds must a covered area for 500 folk (or something like that).

Spot on. The stadium requirements for the Premiership are now the exact same as stadium requirements for the Championship, namely that clubs are required to be registered at a ground that has a bronze licence from the SFA along with silver standard floodlights, and the only capacity requirement of that is 500 covered seats.

Every club in the SPFL (plus Nairn and Spartans from outwith the SPFL) apart from Albion Rovers is registered at a ground with a bronze licence or higher so if, for example, Stranraer or Arbroath were promoted to the Premiership, there would be no requirement to make any changes to the terracing at Stair Park or Gayfield.

Edited by Dunning1874

FCUM a lower mid table Conf North side and Chesterfield a decent team in League One. No great surprise really.

I still dont get the FCUM hate but there we have it.

I think a lot of people see a lot of self righteousness around some of the fan run clubs. Of those FCUM are probably the most guilty of that - the huge fuss they made about the game last night being moved is an example of that.