Fixture backlogs

jimbaxters

In season 1934-35 Petershill played 80 games including 33 between 6th April and 1st June. This included a Scottish junior cup final which they won by a record score of 6-1.

And they complain about being asked to play 5 games in 11 days, thats 6 days without a game, they really have got it easy nowadays!

In season 1934-35 Petershill played 80 games including 33 between 6th April and 1st June. This included a Scottish junior cup final which they won by a record score of 6-1.

And they complain about being asked to play 5 games in 11 days, thats 6 days without a game, they really have got it easy nowadays!

I remember reading about a junior team playing two cup finals on the same day and won them ..................it may be in the book 100 years of the juniors.

I remember reading about a junior team playing two cup finals on the same day and won them ..................it may be in the book 100 years of the juniors.

From our website. www.irvinemeadowfc.co.uk

" Irvine Meadow won two different cups on the same day in two separate towns against two separate teams. In season 1932-33 on June 3rd (3pm) Meadow beat Ardeer Recreation 3-0 in the Irvine & District Cup final replay at Victoria Park, Saltcoats. At 6:30pm, less than two hours after this game finished, Meadow beat Irvine Victoria 3-2 in the Ayrshire Consolation Cup final replay at Abbey Park, Kilwinning. Meadow had a fairly large squad but the same eleven turned out in both games."

Also.....

" On the afternoon of June 16, 1962 Irvine Meadow and Greenock drew 2-2 in the West of Scotland Cup Final. As the season was due to finish that day the Clubs met again that same evening and Meadow collected the silverware with a 4-0 win."

From our website. www.irvinemeadowfc.co.uk

" Irvine Meadow won two different cups on the same day in two separate towns against two separate teams. In season 1932-33 on June 3rd (3pm) Meadow beat Ardeer Recreation 3-0 in the Irvine & District Cup final replay at Victoria Park, Saltcoats. At 6:30pm, less than two hours after this game finished, Meadow beat Irvine Victoria 3-2 in the Ayrshire Consolation Cup final replay at Abbey Park, Kilwinning. Meadow had a fairly large squad but the same eleven turned out in both games."

Also.....

" On the afternoon of June 16, 1962 Irvine Meadow and Greenock drew 2-2 in the West of Scotland Cup Final. As the season was due to finish that day the Clubs met again that same evening and Meadow collected the silverware with a 4-0 win."

Cheers mate I knew I read it somewhere.

Also in season 1932-33 Petershill played 2 finals on last day of the season, they had played the first leg of the Kirkwood sheild final on the Friday evening and lost 6-2 to Pollok. Saturday afternoon lost 3-1 to Ashfield in the Maryhill Charity cup final.

Saturday evening lost 5-2 to Pollok on the second leg of the Kirkwood Shield final, Don't know why they bothered to turn up!

Taken from Albert Moffat's excellent history of Petershill

I also have the notion that another Glasgow side (St Rochs)? may have played two finals in one day in the late 40's or early 50s'

Archived