The Young Team V The Crazy Gang

The team of 2010/11 was IMO a better team and assembled at the fraction of the money.

Go back 26 years to the 1988/89 Champs - again a better team - what a midfield we had. Out of today's team would probably only take Alan Reid.

When Paul Martin took the helm in 2008 the club was not long out of being a rescue mission, consistently in the bottom half of the league and with most of its players on a couple of notes a week for their efforts. His aim was probably to keep the ship afloat, and within a few short years he had us promoted.

This time round we were dark horses from the start, with a bit of cash behind us- but that takes nothing away from the achievement (which is something that the 10/11 team didn't manage.) Our current manager is clearly a fast-rising talent; we're lucky to have him, he is going places quickly and you only have to look at the like of Paul Hartley, Ian Murray and Stevie Aitken to see that there's no limit to what he could do with a part-time club.

Which is better than the other? It's hard to say while the current mission is still underway, but I think Martin and Meade's accomplishment was miracle work, and their heroism has paved the way for everything that's happened since. The correct answer is that both teams have written their names in the stars, and we're very lucky to have seen two legendary Rovers teams within 5 years of each other.

When Paul Martin took the helm in 2008 the club was not long out of being a rescue mission, consistently in the bottom half of the league and with most of its players on a couple of notes a week for their efforts. His aim was probably to keep the ship afloat, and within a few short years he had us promoted.

This time round we were dark horses from the start, with a bit of cash behind us- but that takes nothing away from the achievement (which is something that the 10/11 team didn't manage.) Our current manager is clearly a fast-rising talent; we're lucky to have him, he is going places quickly and you only have to look at the like of Paul Hartley, Ian Murray and Stevie Aitken to see that there's no limit to what he could do with a part-time club.

Which is better than the other? It's hard to say while the current mission is still underway, but I think Martin and Meade's accomplishment was miracle work, and their heroism has paved the way for everything that's happened since. The correct answer is that both teams have written their names in the stars, and we're very lucky to have seen two legendary Rovers teams within 5 years of each other.

1. We had more than a bit of cash. Wardy/ Devlin went ballistic with the wages. Season 13/14 we overspent the wage budget by £45k, granted a good bit of that would have gone on cup bonuses. This season we have been paying crazy wages which the current Chairman has admitted is unsustainable.

2. Sandy Clark calls the shots in the current management team. In fairness there is room for Young to develop.

3. Next season will be a long hard slog. Look forward to team full of T.J.'s.

Call me crazy, but I look forward to the long, hard slog in 15/16- it's the reward for our achievement this season. I loved it when the PM team was punching above its weight: that team's survival against all odds was just as admirable as the promotion.

If promotion to a league with big crowds against Airdrie, Ayr, Dunfermline, Livi and Morton really still leads to a reduced budget, then that's the perfect time for Young and Clark to show what they're really made of- like Aitken or Murray, or Paul Martin, managed to do with their tight purse strings. "An army of sheep led by lions...", and all that.

The team of 2010/11 was IMO a better team and assembled at the fraction of the money.

Go back 26 years to the 1988/89 Champs - again a better team - what a midfield we had. Out of today's team would probably only take Alan Reid.

This.

Provan's team looked every week as though it was going to win. And usually did. Remember also: it was a fourteen team division and we swept aside Dumbarton, Alloa and everyone else who got in our way. If I remember, the season before we finished about 11th making the 88/89 achievement all the more remarkable.

From what I seen of Rovers this season and in 10/11, the team from 10/11 was much better. Admitedly we were woeful that year but we were lucky that Albion Rovers didn't run up a cricket score against us in one game at Cliftonhill. This season we have competed fairly well with Albion taking 4 points from the away games but losing both at home.

Archived