The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2015/16

As I recall the Norwegian TV comparisons are a bit misleading - this has been covered before. Did it not turn-out that their deal was for all their football (including their FA Cup and Supercup, womens matches which are more popular there, and possibly the national team?) and most importantly all their league matches are televised whereas we only televise 50-odd out of 228 Scottish Premiership games.

We can't do much about it anyway as long as Sky & BT are the only credible bidders but are teaming-up to bid.

Whatever the figures - the point remains that expenditure is obviously a factor but not the only or primary one when it comes to a lot opponents. Obviously a lot of Eastern European nations will be 'cheaper' in terms of tax, costs and salaries v standard of living too.

How many people in Scotland watch Sportscene compared to Match of the Day, btw?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not disagreeing with you on that one, Jimmy Calderwood used to slate Aberdeen fans for expectation levels saying we had no chance against the old firm.

I do believe McInnes is different from the stories i'm hearing from people close to the club as we gave Celtic a good run for the their money last season but he believes it was our start to the season that really hurt us but i thought it was more the results against Celtic. He thinks we have a better chance this season to win the league but the media put us down as no-chance. I do think the players mentality under McInnes has changed and I see continue improvement with Aberdeen team.

The players attitude is most certainly different under Mcinnes.

If you have red tv I would watch the interviews with mcginn, taylor and especially mcinnes post match. You can tell everyone is genuinely gutted and that there was a real belief we would win.

The Calderwood team who complained about expectations could learn a lot from the current squad. Week after week they display a determination to win, a belief in their ability to win and a mentality to go out and win every week.

The team of Derek Mcinnes has proved that the unrealistic expectations line is a simple myth. All we ever wanted was a team that genuinely gave everything to be successful.

Btw I'm not having a pop at Aberdeen, I just want to see all our clubs do better in Europe.

Football is our national sport, we are a fairly wealthy first world nation in Northern Europe. So why do we struggle so badly?

Depends on who you are comparing us with though... Obviously we haven't helped in recent years by Rangers and Hearts going down the tubes financially and the disastrous developments at Hibs: most countries rely on their bigger, wealthier and best-supported clubs to do the business in Europe - but by the same token there are few countries about our size who sit above us, even in our currently depressed position. You talk about Northern European countries but Denmark are only slightly ahead of us and Sweden and Norway are behind us.

You also have to look at Kazakhstan in the context of a nation we don't know much about, and who haven't been in UEFA that long. Their league ranking is about to break into the top 30 - so just a few places behind ourselves - and they have decent sized clubs (Kairat Almaty average about 8,000), with plenty money swimming around and a higher calibre of player apparently starting to be recruited.

I think a lot of people imagine they're an Armenia or a Moldova but the indications are they might be a Belarus or a Ukraine... In the last couple of seasons their clubs have beaten the likes of Steau Bucharest, AIK Stockholm, Hapoel Tel-Aviv, Maribor, HJK Helsinki, and Red Star Belgrade.

Plus you only just scraped past Shaktar Karagandy a couple of years ago.

Btw I'm not having a pop at Aberdeen, I just want to see all our clubs do better in Europe.

Football is our national sport, we are a fairly wealthy first world nation in Northern Europe. So why do we struggle so badly?

Think you're missing something in here in that some of the most successful small countries are not wealthy modern countries and produce cracking footballers.

Our way of life hinders the production of top quality footballers, England suffer from it too they just happen to be much larger than us

Touched a nerve?

You don't find it disappointing that our second best team couldn't overcome a team from Kazakhstan over 2 legs?

I do. We should be doing better and not just looking for lazy excuses.

Not in any way at all.

But when Celtic are eliminated at some point by a team who don't draw as big crowds or have a global fan base the revenue difference will be brought up.

If in the coming years money flows into these leagues and not ours people will continue to be dissapointed.

We went out to a very good team (who have gone on to prove that since we played them) that we were expected to lose to. You went out to absolute diddies that you were odds-on favourites to beat both home and away. Deal with it.

:lol: This is embarrassing. You conceded nine goals. NINE.

Even worse was Pawlett's reaction - play the fkin whistle peepaw.

Whilst he was waving his arms around, the guy he was meant to be tracking stuck a bonnie ba' through and Ward had to get out and make a fine save to prevent us going 1-0 down early on.

Maybe being hard on Pawlett but the opening goal in Almaty came from a player who he was tracking. Peepaw switched off and the guy ghosted through and scored. Europe requires a bit more concentration and discipline.

Good learning experience for us hopefully. Must improve our home form in Europe. Not good enough currently.

The money helps, for sure, but the attitude is a major factor.

Every side in Europe, when they draw a Scottish team, will automatically view it as a great chance to go through. Scottish sides almost always see any draw as a potential banana skin. The problem starts there.

That's true although Tommy Wright used the reverse of that against Rosenborg

Interestingly their fans were posting on Berts forum this morning saying that the reason they were the top unseeded team was due to the St Johnstone results and how poor it was not to beat a Scottish team once in two legs.

A large part of it is down to attitude. Our mentality is naturally pessimistic. The most common reaction to a tough but winnable draw is "That looks tricky but we have a chance". Elsewhere the reaction is "We can beat this mob". There's not much of a difference to the mindset when viewed at in those terms, but it makes a massive difference to the overall attitude. They go out looking to win, we go out looking to avoid defeat in the hope that a win is the outcome.

That's not true, it's just a cheap easy jibe that's made any time one of our teams gets knocked out. "It's the Scottish mentality, they lost because they didn't believe they could win."

St Johnstone were poor this season but over the past four years have knocked out bigger sides than themselves.

Aberdeen have defeated two sides ranked above them over the past two seasons and went down fighting on Thursday.

Inverness have ultimately lost to a free-kick but dominated the game in Romania and were unlucky not to force extra-time.

All this "Scottish defeatist attitude" is just tripe.

Was genuinely sad to hear the dons had gone out as I do support scottish teams in europe except United and Rangers and Celtic

But then I remembered every aberdeen fan I know is a tit, most of whom have clearly never had consensual sex with a lady/prostitute/their mither

So :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived