Worst Scottish Labour leader since devolution?

Gordon EF

Who's the shittest of them all?  

113 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's generally accepted that Labour have had a succession of completely useless leaders in Scotland for some time now. The latest crop make Dewer, McLeish and McConnell look like some trio of political colossi. They've only really been included for completeness.

What followed them has been a shambles...

Wendy Alexander - remember her? Almost faded from all recall without a trace. Will only be remembered for being utterly bitch slapped by Gordon Brown over her referendum 'bring it on' and being rag-dolled by the newly installed FM Salmond at FMQs.

Gray - The man who let the SNP win a majority in a 4-party PR election. His disastrous campaign let a Labour lead become an SNP landslide when people realised he had no personality, no charisma and possibly no brain.

Lamont - Yet another 'place holder' who could barely do that adequately. A complete no-mark of a leader who had to be sidelined during the referendum, probably because nobody knew who she was. Her only positive was savaging the party after being pushed out.

Murphy - Heralded as the man who would stop the rot. He has presided over a biblical collapse in Labour support in Scotland and may well be the first Labour leader (along with Ed of course) to lose a GE in Scotland in living memory. All hypothetical of course. Labour could pull it back. Stranger things have happened, but not often.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on man how do we choose from that list? It's impossible

We need some sort of STV system employed here. This FPTP is pish

Jack McConnell is the least worst

Edit Forgot about Donald. I'll give him his dues he was a decent enough leader.

Murphy. He's so hilariously patronizing it's unreal.

He tries so hard to be personable and funny, yet manages to constantly end up with egg on his face (quite literally in some instances).

He also seems to really believe in his reptilian heart that Labour are still a left of center party.

Jack McConnell & Donald Dewar looked outstanding compared to the rest.

Iain Gray was the 21st century John Major, but nowhere near Wendy or Lamont.

Jim Murphy is my vote. And he's only gonna get worse. Extremely pleasing.

I agree, it's a tough choice when there's so much ineptitude on display. Personally, I'd go for Iain Gray. I hate Murphy more but that's because he at least has a personality. A fucking hideous personality, of course, but one nonetheless.

Jack McConnell & Donald Dewar looked outstanding compared to the rest.

Iain Gray was the 21st century John Major, but nowhere near Wendy or Lamont.

Jim Murphy is my vote. And he's only gonna get worse. Extremely pleasing.

Christ that's very harsh on John Major.

I've always liked Henry McLeish.

McConnell was pretty vacuous I always thought - but he had a charm that won folk over. I was going to compare him to Tony Blair but Blair was far more astute and far more dangerous.

Wendy was an evil fucker - like her brother. I'll particularly enjoy seeing him lose.

Murphy's failure is going to be unprecedented so has to claim the prize, but he couldn't really have done it without such an impressive legacy of no-marks and losers within the North British Labour branch office.

Murphy's failure is going to be unprecedented so has to claim the prize, but he couldn't really have done it without such an impressive legacy of no-marks and losers within the North British Labour branch office.

Standing on the shoulders of pygmies.

Lamont. I don't think she was really any worse than her predecessors, but her absence during the referendum campaign was unforgivable.

Murphy is saved from the title only because it isn't yet the 8th of May.

Murphy is a poor politician but he at least tries.

Johann Lamont is not only the worst Scottish Labour leader since Devolution but she's also the worst human being that's ever lived.

Iain Gray gave us this

ibdrCPyUMccTMv.gif

So that earns him a few kudos points.

Henry McLeish got caught with his fingers in the till and resigned because of it. Slags the Labour Party off though. Earns Kudos points for that

Slim Jim makes me smile and heartily laugh on a regular basis. Kudos points for that

Jack McConnell - A bit meh. Can't remember any controversies or reason to dislike him. He will go down in history as being the last Scottish Labour leader to govern Scotland. Kudos points for that

Wendy Alexander -

Wee Dougie's brother...not a good start (must be something in the genes)...

dodgy donors - not looking good...

got hauled down to Head Office in London by big bad Gordy to give her a major arse skelping after she got a bit uppity within the party - it's looking bad hen...

Married to some economist who via the Fraser of Alexander institute put's out dodgy research - Defcon Fucked

has a mouth that looks as though it has been caught by a fish hook...ergo widnae.

All in all the sought after title of worst Labour Scottish Branch Office manager goes to Wendy Alexander

Edit...Forgot about Jola.. How can anybody not like Jimmy Krankie?

I voted for the Grayman. I think a great deal of Labour's issues stem from his time. Kudos for him managing to manufacture an SNP majority in a parliamentary system designed to specifically avoid such an outcome. Simply outstanding!

Combine that with genuine LOL moments such as the subway/killing fields incident and the not to be forgotten Haddington count, where he shifted spoilt ballots into his pile before seeing them replaced by the returning officer in a bawhair pyrrhic victory which undoubtedly set the tone for future labour patsies.

I've no idea whether it was his idea to leave his shadow cabinet off the list vote, but he was "leader" and has directly led to a Z team offering f**k all opposition to the SNP.

What a guy.

Archived