Stranraer v Morton

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sticking by McCormack until the end of the season was understandable, but giving him a new contract after that simply can't be described as anything other than stupid. The fact he cited the number of games we'd lost since January when sacking him five games into the next season said it all.

Yeah, sticking by McCormack until the end of the season was understandable, but giving him a new contract after that simply can't be described as anything other than stupid. The fact he cited the number of games we'd lost since January when sacking him five games into the next season said it all.

The really strange thing is that he was sacked on the Thursday/Friday after beating Arbroath 2-1 on the Saturday. We had actually bounced back ok after a defeat in the opening game with 3 wins in the next 4 league games. It was a shaky rather than bad start to the season. We then took an age before finally appointing McInally, who essentially had no influence on our season. We picked up a little towards the end but still managed to draw far too many games. I actually reckon we might have had more of a chance of promotion had Cowboy stayed in charge - but perhaps that depends on exactly why he lost his job (alleged influence of Collins etc behind the scenes). All in all the Cowboy/Irons experiences weren't actually too dissimilar. Both did the initial job the were brought in to do, and after that it was boom and bust before early season sackings in the third season.

If Rae was going to consider what had gone on the previous season when judging Cowboy the next, then he never should have been kept on. I think you're right that this is the important point here. And it all comes back to Rae not having the best judgement. I think its fine for chairmen not to get everything right in terms of the managers they choose, but for Rae it has happened over and over.

The really strange thing is that he was sacked on the Thursday/Friday after beating Arbroath 2-1 on the Saturday. We had actually bounced back ok after a defeat in the opening game with 3 wins in the next 4 league games. It was a shaky rather than bad start to the season. We then took an age before finally appointing McInally, who essentially had no influence on our season. We picked up a little towards the end but still managed to draw far too many games. I actually reckon we might have had more of a chance of promotion had Cowboy stayed in charge - but perhaps that depends on exactly why he lost his job (alleged influence of Collins etc behind the scenes). All in all the Cowboy/Irons experiences weren't actually too dissimilar. Both did the initial job the were brought in to do, and after that it was boom and bust before early season sackings in the third season.

If Rae was going to consider what had gone on the previous season when judging Cowboy the next, then he never should have been kept on. I think you're right that this is the important point here. And it all comes back to Rae not having the best judgement. I think its fine for chairmen not to get everything right in terms of the managers they choose, but for Rae it has happened over and over.

Everyone heard all kinds of stories of that time I suppose, but the one I believed had at least some element of truth in it was that Stuart McCluskey and McCormack had an argument which escalated into McCluskey walking out of training, and after that session Coyle, Williams and the Maisanos went straight to Rae and all handed in transfer requests on the basis of not being able to work with McCormack any more. Rae went to Hawke and Collins, being the senior players and club legends, to ask if the dressing room really had turned to that extent or if it was just a few trouble makers, Hawke and Collins confirmed that the players pretty much hated him by that point and it was done.

No doubt some embellishments in there due to the story being told and passed on through different people but the gist of it would seem to add up to Rae sacking him due to his relationship with players rather than results.

2-1 to Morton in a hard-fought game.

McManus with the first, then the winner from Derek Gaston, with a long-ball assist from Peter MacDonald. Peaso had come on when centre-forward O'Ware was injured, and was put in goal so that Gaston could play up front because of his height and because, well, it was raining.

2-1 to Morton in a hard-fought game.

McManus with the first, then the winner from Derek Gaston, with a long-ball assist from Peter MacDonald. Peaso had come on when centre-forward O'Ware was injured, and was put in goal so that Gaston could play up front because of his height and because, well, it was raining.

FacePalm-button-for-Facebook.jpg

Everyone heard all kinds of stories of that time I suppose, but the one I believed had at least some element of truth in it was that Stuart McCluskey and McCormack had an argument which escalated into McCluskey walking out of training, and after that session Coyle, Williams and the Maisanos went straight to Rae and all handed in transfer requests on the basis of not being able to work with McCormack any more. Rae went to Hawke and Collins, being the senior players and club legends, to ask if the dressing room really had turned to that extent or if it was just a few trouble makers, Hawke and Collins confirmed that the players pretty much hated him by that point and it was done.

No doubt some embellishments in there due to the story being told and passed on through different people but the gist of it would seem to add up to Rae sacking him due to his relationship with players rather than results.

I could only vaguely remember the stories. What I did remember, and always found ironic, is that those players who might have fallen out with Cowboy (which I don't think was that difficult to do) didn't last very long after he left.

By the time we played that big game against Stranraer in the second last game of the season 10 years ago (trying to lever myself back on topic here), the likes of Williams, the Maisanos, Coyle, McCluskey, and Collins had been replaced in the team by players like McGurn, Harding, McLaughlin, McLaren, Templeman, and Dillon. I don't think it can be too far from the mark to suggest that whatever was going on in 2004 there was something quite toxic about it. Maybe that's partly why Rae took to McInally so much - there wasn't so much turbulence.

Out of interest, I wonder which team would be preferred, the one from 10 years ago or the one now (both with Morton and Stranraer fans). McGurn or Gaston? Harding or Crighton? Greacen or Lamie? Russell or Dillon? (that one's easy) McLaren or MacDonald? and so on.

This as one of your posters mentioned is Stranaer v Morton thread .But last three days posts are mainly all about Morton's ex managers, and why they were sacked. Do you guys not want to post about the main event, the game tomorrow?.or is squeaky bums kicking in.

This as one of your posters mentioned is Stranaer v Morton thread .But last three days posts are mainly all about Morton's ex managers, and why they were sacked. Do you guys not want to post about the main event, the game tomorrow?.or is squeaky bums kicking in.

We are simply musing as to whether we should sack our manager if we beat the top team (you) tomorrow and then go on to win promotion. Perfectly reasonable IMO.

The team I would like would be:

Gaston

Kilday O'Ware Lamie Russell

J McCluskey McKee Forbes S McCluskey

MacDonald McManus

With Caldwell, Miller Scullion, Orr and Pepper on the bench. Caldwell and Scullion for the last half hour as impact players and Pepper for midfield cover.

The team I would like would be:

Gaston

Kilday O'Ware Lamie Russell

J McCluskey McKee Forbes S McCluskey

MacDonald McManus

With Caldwell, Miller Scullion, Orr and Pepper on the bench. Caldwell and Scullion for the last half hour as impact players and Pepper for midfield cover.

Pepper is out for the season. I reckon we'll line up as:

Gaston

Kilday Crighton :( Lamie Russell

S McCluskey O'Ware Forbes J McCluskey

Peaso McManus

Stefan will need to play on the same side as Willie Gibson as he can run all day and hopefully keep him quiet.

Not keen on Jamie playing on the left but we have no one else. I think Peaso will start just down to his experience in bigger games.

Pepper is out for the season. I reckon we'll line up as:

Gaston

Kilday Crighton :( Lamie Russell

S McCluskey O'Ware Forbes J McCluskey

Peaso McManus

Stefan will need to play on the same side as Willie Gibson as he can run all day and hopefully keep him quiet.

Not keen on Jamie playing on the left but we have no one else. I think Peaso will start just down to his experience in bigger games.

I stood and watched him play in a bounce game yesterday at training.

Archived