Attending as a Neutral

I've thought about going to watch Reading a few times, but have never bothered. In all honesty, I can't really be arsed.

Cost is another factor, but the main reason is lack of interest. I always look out for their results, but feel that I wouldn't really enjoy it if I went.

When I moved down to Hampshire I thought I'd go to a few Reading games but I can never really be bothered.

Going this week to the semi final though, I'm a glory hunter.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I moved down to Hampshire I thought I'd go to a few Reading games but I can never really be bothered.

Going this week to the semi final though, I'm a glory hunter.

Nice one. I actually looked into tickets (I tried to be a glory hunter) but didn't have a chance as there wasn't a public sale.

How did you manage to get one?

I don't understand people saying they attended matches featuring either of the OF as a neutral.

Surely, any decent person wants whoever Rangers or Celtic are playing, to win.

To be fair, in my case, I was in the Motherwell end and I wanted them to win. They lost 2-1.

I did go through to the Celtic v Braga game with a Celtic supporting friend. For shame. 'Tic lost 2-1.

I've been to one Old Firm game. It was Souness first game in charge. Billy Stark scored the winner, I was in the Jungle and I travelled to the game on the Celtic Bus. I think I was about 15 and I wasn't a Celtic fan. I was going to sell my ticket before the game, as the going rate was enough to buy a pair of Levi 501s. Pals forced me not too.

To even that up, I recall going to the odd Hearts and Hibs game with workmates, when I lived in Edinburgh. Saw Hearts beat Celtic 2-1 around 2006.

I've been to one Edinburgh derby back in about '91, before Easter Road was developed.

I've thought about going to watch Reading a few times, but have never bothered. In all honesty, I can't really be arsed.

Cost is another factor, but the main reason is lack of interest. I always look out for their results, but feel that I wouldn't really enjoy it if I went.

Why don't you go to non league games? There are hundreds.

I've been to loads of games as a neutral. When I was student in Middlesbrough, the Boro were in the premiership, so attended quite a few games a neutral. I didn't have any feelings towards them in the slightest, but got to watch a lot of top league teams and players.

Best game I've been to as a neutral, was Arsenal Anderlecht at the Emirates in November with a couple Belgian mates. In the Anderlecht end, who's fans are completely mental, when they came from 3-0 down with 30 to go and managed to steal a point at the death. Absolute scenes.

I go to quite a lot of games north and south of the border as a neutral. Latest was Accrington Stanley v Portsmouth on the Saturday after we'd got knocked out of the Cup on the Friday to Falkirk. First half was excellent (1-1) but second half was truly awful.

It's funny to see fans having a go at the ref when he's not at fault and then realising after that I do the same when watching Queens!

I think I've seen the guy with the Tesco bag at a Shire game-doesn't he hurl abuse at the opposition all the time and get threatened with expulsion but it never happens? The away fans take it in good spirit-poor bloke obviously has problems!

I think I've seen the guy with the Tesco bag at a Shire game-doesn't he hurl abuse at the opposition all the time and get threatened with expulsion but it never happens? The away fans take it in good spirit-poor bloke obviously has problems!

'Mad Bill' is the chap's name and I'm not sure if he attends Shire matches at home now - certainly when Pars played them in the cup this season and the League Cup last, I never heard / saw him at the game. I think he may have had a disagreement with stewards at Ochilview that saw him banned / refuse to attend games? A Shire fan could clear that up - I may be talking bollocks though.

I remember a game between the Shire and Gretna in the season they romped to the Third Division. If any of you were ever at Firs Park, you'll recall how close the sideline of the pitch (and, as a consequence, a linesman or throw-in taker) was to the raging Shire hordes on the terrace opposite the stand.

Anyhoo, the home faithful were doing their level best to wind up the visiting players with taunts over money and so on, with Mad Bill boldly marching to the front to wave £20 notes and shout at David Bingham, who promptly told him to f**k off. Not that it made any difference.

That video is of them at Elgin some seasons ago.

Nice one. I actually looked into tickets (I tried to be a glory hunter) but didn't have a chance as there wasn't a public sale.

How did you manage to get one?

Got them through work which was nice! Also going to the Aston Villa game on the Sunday, looking forward to it.

Last game I went to down here was the England v San Marino game, not completely neutral because I just wanted San Marino to get a shot on target.

'Mad Bill' is the chap's name and I'm not sure if he attends Shire matches at home now - certainly when Pars played them in the cup this season and the League Cup last, I never heard / saw him at the game. I think he may have had a disagreement with stewards at Ochilview that saw him banned / refuse to attend games? A Shire fan could clear that up - I may be talking bollocks though.

I'd pop round to the Shire when they were at Firs Park. Usually spent more time watching Bill than the game.

Proper nutters always have a bag with them.

Just remembered a couple more I've been to.

Went to see Stirling v Berwick with my mate who's from Stirling. It was poor. Think Stirling won 2-0.

I also went to see Celtic v Nauchatel Xamax in the early 90's with a mate who supports Celtic when we were at college in Glasgow. I can't remember the score but I'm sure Celtic made a right erse of it. :lol:

Archived