Attending as a Neutral

Following the updates on the Livi Rangers game made me think i wish i was there. I probably go to half a dozen or so games as a neutral each season and enjoy the game for what it is.

Whats other peoples thoughts on being at games without your team involved?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following the updates on the Livi Rangers game made me think i wish i was there. I probably go to half a dozen or so games as a neutral each season and enjoy the game for what it is.

This is standard whilst supporting Raith Rovers.

I wouldn't really go to a league game as a neutral as I couldn't be arsed listening to fans for 90 minutes. I'll go to junior/Highland league/Amatuer games as a neutral and they can be quite enjoyable.

The occasional European game such as St Johnstone's this season.

A mate of mine used to live in Oxford and when I went to visit we made a habit of going to games at the Manor Ground in the away end. Didn't have any affiliation with any of the teams but couldn't help but cheer on the the team whose end we were in. Not quite sure what Gillingham or Peterborough fans thought of 2 Scottish guys in the away end.

I go to about half a dozen games a season as a neutral too. Mostly Elgin games midweek. I always find it helps to support one of the teams there so I usually support Elgin just cause I stay here.

As I'm watching Elgin I always find it helps to have a drink or two before hand.

Actually it'd probably be best to just get smashed before hand. And leave at half time.

I would go to games as a neutral and do when i have a chance. Living in Dumfries though its not something i get the chance to do all that often. No time to travel two or three hours round trip for neutral games so basically just the odd Annan game when time allows. And I am not truly neutral in those as I want Annan to win.

A mate of mine used to live in Oxford and when I went to visit we made a habit of going to games at the Manor Ground in the away end. Didn't have any affiliation with any of the teams but couldn't help but cheer on the the team whose end we were in. Not quite sure what Gillingham or Peterborough fans thought of 2 Scottish guys in the away end.

I was at an Oxford vs Peterborough game as a neutral once too. It was the opening day of the season and I was too hungover to take much interest.

Been to 3 Edinburgh derbies as a neutral and enjoyed them.

Probably been to about 10 games not involving Falkirk and it's amazing how you have a different opinion on things from the fans sat next to you.

The last Edinburgh Derby I was at I seemed to be the only person in the Hibs end who seen that tackle that got the boy the retrospective ban (can't remember the players involved)

I enjoy watching games where I'm not biased or care who wins

I was at an Oxford vs Peterborough game as a neutral once too. It was the opening day of the season and I was too hungover to take much interest.

This would have been around 2001 so its a possibility it was the same game. It was more eventful for what happened off the pitch. During the course of the game I managed to get a heavy nose bleed, twist my ankle and get hit by the ball whilst I was been taken to the medical area for treatment on my ankle!

This would have been around 2001 so its a possibility it was the same game. It was more eventful for what happened off the pitch. During the course of the game I managed to get a heavy nose bleed, twist my ankle and get hit by the ball whilst I was been taken to the medical area for treatment on my ankle!

That date sounds about right. A hot, sunny day. I can't even remember the score, but I'm sure Peterborough took the lead. I've a feeling it ended as a draw, but might well be wrong.

I'm sorry I missed your comedy tour de force though.

It's something I'd like to do alot more, but when I get the chance on international breaks I tend to take advantage of a well needed rest from battering my bank account. Attended one Pollock game last year which wasn't bad. I think spending anymore than a tenner is unlikely so will try take in a few more Juniors or Queens Park games when the opportunity arises.

I do at least one a season and try and do more. It's good to enjoy a game without wanting your own team to win. Last season I almost forgot but did get along to the Falkirk Queen of the South play off quarter final.

Due to my volunteer role I often see my own teams away games from the home team stand and it's actually enjoyable to listen to home fans views on the game or watching our fans celebrating a goal.

I go to various games each season as a neutral, mainly non-league games and cup finals it has to be said, and quite enjoy it. While I had a ST at Hibs, for some reason I used to make a point of always taking-in 1 Hearts game too (in the home end) :lol:.

Still go to quite a few neutral games during the season. Was down at Carlisle earlier this season for a 4-4 draw with Wimbledon which was good.

Seen quite a few Edinburgh City midweeks games although I was siding for City wins with Joe Mbu playing for them.

Also seen a few other Lowland League and junior games.

As we don't have a game on Saturday I'm off to Gateshead v Forest Green Rovers. New ground for me and two teams I've never seen before.

When our season's over i'll watch a few junior games and try to get to grounds I've never been at.

CowdenConvert, on 15 Apr 2015 - 20:34, said:

It's actually a lot of fun. Going to a game and not having to worry about the result and just watch the football turns even turgid shite into a decent day out.

I go to a lot of games as a neutral, never miss a DFC game for it but I can't think of a better way to spend the time. Usually I'll go to Junior/Lowland league games though, Pollok, Petershill, Rossvale, Rob Roy, Kilsyth, Camelon, EKFC, EK Thistle, Neilston, Clydebank, Maryhill in the last year to name but a few.

Also went to Celtic v Astra in the Europa league and got quite a few free tickets to Rangers games (living in Milngavie you get to know people you see) Hearts, Clyde, QOS and Hibs. I've done Queens Park and Thistle as well.

With prices as they are I probably wouldn't pay to get into a game in our league as a neutral but I do quite enjoy being able to go to a game and just enjoy the football (sometimes) without all the emotion.

I'll go along to a local highland league game if the Rovers arent playing or for whatever reason I cant go, usually Formartine or Inverurie. Last season I was able to shout abuse at Joe Hamill at Formartine, which was nice.

I've been to plenty of non-Queen of the South games, but never truly as a neutral, that would be nearly impossible for me. Even when I watch a game on the TV I generally find that there is a team that I favour and I find myself rooting for them. If I'm completely beige to both teams I wouldn't bother my arse with it. I used to watch any football I could on the box, but now I'm not going to bother with Stoke vs Villa or Metalist Kharkiv vs BATE Borisov.

Like SD I've been to plenty of Annan games since their inclusion to the senior setup, it used to be a once a season tradition for me and my mates to go down on the train, take in a game and get a good drink in The Shed afterwards, but I've not done that for a couple of seasons. I'd quite like to get down before Peter Weatherson hangs up his boots.

I've been to a few South of Scotland games in the past as well, although none since the formation of the Lowland League. Again though I'd be supporting the local team in these matches. One that stands out is a league decider between Dalbeattie Star and Spartans a few years back. Spartans won, and my mate won the half time draw which I think amounted to 20 or 30 quid!

Aside from Queens the team I've probably been to see most is Dundee United through a friend who follows them. Despite going to see them the most, they are the club I'm probably the most neutral about. I've largely picked terrible games to attend, including the most poisonous atmosphere I've ever experienced towards the end of Ian McCall's tenure when they got cuffed 4-0 I think at Rugby Park. It was 90 minutes of pure hatred towards the manager and it was a thoroughly unpleasant afternoon. I was at Tannadice when David Goodwillie scored a cracker of an overhead kick against Motherwell (it was a Sunday game and Queens had been playing at Dens on the Saturday). The first game I attended was probably the best, a 1-1 draw against old Rangers at Ibrox. A late peach of a freekick by Barry Robson earned the draw, it was my first time at Ibrox experiencing the awful fans who border the away fans. It made the equaliser all the more enjoyable even if some fanny tried kicking my legs away from me as I was walking back to the car.

Other notable games I've been to recently -

MSV Duisburg vs VFL Osnabruck. We took in a German 3rd division game when we were over for the Scotland match last year. One of the best experiences of my life. I'll definitely be back at some point. The home side won 3-0.

Preston vs Walsall. Decided to take in the Johnstone Paints Semi Final first leg at Preston as I was working near by. Walsall won 2-0 and the away end was absolutely rocking which made me regret my decision to go in with the home fans. Deepdale is a cracking ground but it was less than half full and was pretty flat due to the result. Unlikely I'll be back any time soon.

Archived