Alloa Athletic vs Queen of the South 18/04/15

I thought the best player on the pitch was Michael.

He was certainly at his rampaging best. Michael has had, by his standards, a poorish season. I wonder if Danny has given his confidence a boost.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seemed to be. In fairness to the stewards they were all fine about it. They understood we were having fairly harmless fun, and we accepted that they were just doing their job. They shook our hands on the way out and wished us a safe journey home. As hooliganism goes it was fairly tame!

He was certainly at his rampaging best. Michael has had, by his standards, a poorish season. I wonder if Danny has given his confidence a boost.

Or a rocket?

Oh, the pitch, the pitch. Don't know how we've managed to play such an attractive passing game for most of the season on such a cabbage patch.

Stunned to hear that the referee was complaining about the fans - I must admit to wondering why in particular the w****r chant started up. Entirely factual, of course - he had a shocker. Heard nothing that a referee shouldn't expect from our end, and I'm sure it was the same down at the other. Should've given him a lot worse, knowing that. Fucking bell-end. Thankfully the match was being recorded, so you'd imagine he'd have received a roasting if he'd tried an abandonment.

Was wondering why the club secretary was standing next to me for a while; honest, I didn't say anything! :ph34r:

Oh, the pitch, the pitch. Don't know how we've managed to play such an attractive passing game for most of the season on such a cabbage patch.

Stunned to hear that the referee was complaining about the fans - I must admit to wondering why in particular the w****r chant started up. Entirely factual, of course - he had a shocker. Heard nothing that a referee shouldn't expect from our end, and I'm sure it was the same down at the other. Should've given him a lot worse, knowing that. Fucking bell-end. Thankfully the match was being recorded, so you'd imagine he'd have received a roasting if he'd tried an abandonment.

Was wondering why the club secretary was standing next to me for a while; honest, I didn't say anything! :ph34r:

I don't think anyone is saying anything about the pitch that isn't true. The bounce is sometimes terrible and plays absolutely nothing like grass, don't see any queens fan saying the pitch cost us points just that it's a poor surface.

. I'm still struggling to believe he halted play to complain to the stewards about some comments from the crowd, what a precious arsehole! Surely that is unprecedented behaviour? The stewards had certainly never seen anything like it before and were just as confused/amused as the fans.

Is that seriously what that little interlude was about?

Never seen anything like that, not even at the juniors.

I thought the pitch was pretty poor too - every time the ball bounced, whoever came to meet seemed really unsure of where it was going to go, they looked terrified.

And while Danny Carmichael had a good game, I thought the best player on the pitch was Michael Doyle. He was excellent motoring up and down the right. I don't think Kevin Holt or Iain Russell got past him once and he was always available to take the ball on when an attack presented itself.

I do agree that big Holt had as tough a game as he has had in a while. The usual fans blind spot applies so often, going something like this, "why is x in our team so crap today..." Not giving any credit to the opposing player. So credit due to Mr Doyle.

Couldn't believe my ears yesterday when I heard some Queens fans booing the team at HT, after an evenly contested first half. The clue is in the word "supporters", people.

I don't think anyone is saying anything about the pitch that isn't true. The bounce is sometimes terrible and plays absolutely nothing like grass, don't see any queens fan saying the pitch cost us points just that it's a poor surface.

You aren't allowed to say anything about Alloa's pitch.

Wouldn't dare. Still enjoy reading others comments though. Could there be something in it?

Stock car racing? I dunno, how much do Cowden get out of it?

I do agree that big Holt had as tough a game as he has had in a while. The usual fans blind spot applies so often, going something like this, "why is x in our team so crap today..." Not giving any credit to the opposing player. So credit due to Mr Doyle.

Couldn't believe my ears yesterday when I heard some Queens fans booing the team at HT, after an evenly contested first half. The clue is in the word "supporters", people.

Agree with you there on that last sentence. It was never going to be a dawdle to get a win here even with Alloa struggling in the relegation zone. We certainly weren't at our best but we were still very much in the game at half time. One regular "supporter" sitting behind me in the gazebo was directing almost continual criticism towards Paton, who frankly was not having the best of games, but still did not warrant the heckling he was getting from this "supporter".

During the second half this "supporter" continually called for Fowler to hook Paton and put Russell on. When this change was eventually made, rather than appease the said "supporter" the cries merely changed from "that's rubbish Paton" to "that's rubbish Russell" when Beany failed to control the ball with his first or second touch after coming on.

No-one gets more frustrated than me when things don't go as we would like but continual haranguing of the players does not help. Maybe a case of "if you can't shout something supportive, don't shout anything at all".

As for comments regarding the Alloa pitch, I don't claim to be a big fan of their surface but you can't blame Alloa for trying to use any advantage to get the results they need. It may just be my imagination but they now seem to be putting extra rubber chips down over the surface going by the amount that shoots up when the ball bounces. Anyway it wasn't a major contributing factor to yesterday's result.

We are still very much on course for a top four finish but the players will probably need encouragement rather that criticism to help them achieve it.

Witnessed the same drivel from the main stand last Sunday v Falkirk continual moaning about certain players and griping at the manager too.

In one instance when Mcshane kept possession by passing the ball back some numpties started shouting and complaining about not playing attacking football! At this point there was 5 mins left of a game we were winning against our nearest play off rivals having put Hibs & Rangers to the sword that same week.

No wonder Fowler turned round & Mcshane gave some vocals back.

Please lets back the manager and the team, thankfully it is only a very small minority of fans (so called fans).

Agree with you there on that last sentence. It was never going to be a dawdle to get a win here even with Alloa struggling in the relegation zone. We certainly weren't at our best but we were still very much in the game at half time. One regular "supporter" sitting behind me in the gazebo was directing almost continual criticism towards Paton, who frankly was not having the best of games, but still did not warrant the heckling he was getting from this "supporter".

During the second half this "supporter" continually called for Fowler to hook Paton and put Russell on. When this change was eventually made, rather than appease the said "supporter" the cries merely changed from "that's rubbish Paton" to "that's rubbish Russell" when Beany failed to control the ball with his first or second touch after coming on.

No-one gets more frustrated than me when things don't go as we would like but continual haranguing of the players does not help. Maybe a case of "if you can't shout something supportive, don't shout anything at all".

As for comments regarding the Alloa pitch, I don't claim to be a big fan of their surface but you can't blame Alloa for trying to use any advantage to get the results they need. It may just be my imagination but they now seem to be putting extra rubber chips down over the surface going by the amount that shoots up when the ball bounces. Anyway it wasn't a major contributing factor to yesterday's result.

We are still very much on course for a top four finish but the players will probably need encouragement rather that criticism to help them achieve it.

Pretty sure its the same guy who fans around him started having a go at him at the last Alloa game. Not sure if they are the only games he goes to or, more likely, its just more obvious at that ground.

You'll never get rid of the moaners - for some folk, football's all about unleashing the pent-up frustration they bottle up through the week. They may have a certain player they like to single out for abuse, but it's only because they look a wee bit like their wife or boss.

Shame, but I suppose you've got to feel sorry for them, seeing as how you aren't allowed to put them out of their misery :P

Archived