The Witcher 3

spud131

5 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

I was expecting the writing, story and missions to all be great and so far that's been very bog standard but it's early doors yet so assuming it picks up.

The writing and story are far and away the strongest parts of the Witcher games, 3 didn't play particularly gracefully in 2015 and it only feels worse now 

21 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Having watched the Netflix show and read a few of the books, I've started playing this.

I've just finished White Orchard and to be honest not that impressed yet. The controls, fighting and inventory are all a bit clunky which is fair enough considering the game has been out for years.

I was expecting the writing, story and missions to all be great and so far that's been very bog standard but it's early doors yet so assuming it picks up.

I should say, I was EXACTLY the same.  White Orchard just seemed...meh.  I was a lot earlier to the game, so hadn't had the hype, but remember thinking that I'd probably put the game down.  Decided I'd give it a little longer and the benefit of the doubt.  Now it's probably still my favourite game ever.  For me the writing, story and quests are its main strength, but struggling to remember anything from White Orchard.  

But it is an acquired taste.  Seems like you'll either adore the game or hate it, so not going to tell you you're wrong or anything.  I'd give it a little longer, maybe you'll get into it.

Yea it's pretty forgettable gameplay but it's easy to forgive when the writing is as impressive as it is here.

ETA: I should also say that I bounced off the game pretty hard just after getting to Velen the first time around then went back to it six months later and it just clicked. 

Edited by NotThePars

I should say, I was EXACTLY the same.  White Orchard just seemed...meh.  I was a lot earlier to the game, so hadn't had the hype, but remember thinking that I'd probably put the game down.  Decided I'd give it a little longer and the benefit of the doubt.  Now it's probably still my favourite game ever.  For me the writing, story and quests are its main strength, but struggling to remember anything from White Orchard.  
But it is an acquired taste.  Seems like you'll either adore the game or hate it, so not going to tell you you're wrong or anything.  I'd give it a little longer, maybe you'll get into it.
I'll stick with it just now.

I was expecting the combat to be more like the Batman or Shadow of Mordor games instead all I do is dodge around and slash at the enemy. Geralt is supposed to be a badass Witcher, doesn't feel like it so far. Reminds me of the 4 Ds from the Dodgeball film dodge, duck, dive and dodge just waiting on Patches O'Houlihan to show up.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Blood and Wine ending is really unsatisfying. Finished it last night. Skellige Gwent deck is pish too.

Might depend on the ending you got I suppose. Think there’s 3 or 4 you can get.

I've apparently got  two random Gwent cards to collect but I have literally run out of traders to play FFS. Really frustrating. I spent ages yesterday figuring out which ones I was missing and it appears I need to find shop keepers or trademen I haven't played. I've literally played fucking everyone except anyone in Toussaint. I wonder if this has somehow glitched??

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/08/2020 at 10:31, Stellaboz said:

I've apparently got  two random Gwent cards to collect but I have literally run out of traders to play FFS. Really frustrating. I spent ages yesterday figuring out which ones I was missing and it appears I need to find shop keepers or trademen I haven't played. I've literally played fucking everyone except anyone in Toussaint. I wonder if this has somehow glitched??

Absolutely loved the Witcher 3 but I hated Gwent. Played a couple of games in taverns and got the hang of it but then the curve increased so quickly. I'd be in some random shithole village in a swamp and accept the offer of a game from some gammy fisherman and he'd basically have a deck full of absolutely nuclear cards and I'd have zero chance of winning.

4 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Absolutely loved the Witcher 3 but I hated Gwent. Played a couple of games in taverns and got the hang of it but then the curve increased so quickly. I'd be in some random shithole village in a swamp and accept the offer of a game from some gammy fisherman and he'd basically have a deck full of absolutely nuclear cards and I'd have zero chance of winning.

Even on higher difficulty the AI is not too difficult to figure out. You can basically throw one round deliberately every time but make the AI shoot its load trying to win it. Then you keep your good cards back for the last 2 rounds and stomp with ease. Spy cards are always your friend.

• 5 months later...

Just finished this. First Witcher game I've played and felt it was a really good game. Got it for free after getting a voucher for Christmas. 

Got the ending where Ciri becomes a Witcher

Didn't realise you can't romance Yen and Triss without it all blowing up in your face. Ach well. Would have gone for Triss had I known because she a total wid and Yen is irritating as f**k but hey ho.

Really long game but never felt it was padded out really. A few generic fetch quests got annoying but never to the point I bailed out.

Liked the crafting and alchemy but didn't go as deep as I probably could have.

ETA Gwent was pish and I played about 3 games and rubbered it.

The side quests were generally excellent too. 

A solid 8.5/10 for me.

Edited by mishtergrolsch

If you're coming to Witcher 3 cold of all the previous games and books yeah, it'll take a while to get into but you'll find yourself sucked in without realizing it.

Give Gwent a serious go second time round, it's fucking tremendous when you get it.

1 minute ago, Stellaboz said:

If you're coming to Witcher 3 cold of all the previous games and books yeah, it'll take a while to get into but you'll find yourself sucked in without realizing it.

Give Gwent a serious go second time round, it's fucking tremendous when you get it.

Got the 2 expansion packs (Blood and Wine and the other one thats left my brain at time of typing) to get through too.

Then will probably go again and maybe give Gwent a go.

I've only clocked a few hours so far but struggling to get into this at all - although I'm only in White Orchard so maybe somewhat unfair to judge it. I'm also quite shit at it so that might be colouring my perspective a bit.

There just seems to be too much content! 

I've completed it including all the DLC twice. Have a 3rd run about half way into Velen but haven't really played for a while. It is just so fucking good though. The battle at Kaer Morhen is one of the best chapters of any game ever IMO.

On 13/02/2021 at 19:53, Stellaboz said:

I’m about an hour into my 2nd play through, totally patched Gwent originally but took a bit longer to try get to grips with it. Already enjoying it 100% more that I’ve paid attention to the tutorial. 

On 08/09/2020 at 14:00, GiGi said:

Even on higher difficulty the AI is not too difficult to figure out. You can basically throw one round deliberately every time but make the AI shoot its load trying to win it. Then you keep your good cards back for the last 2 rounds and stomp with ease. Spy cards are always your friend.

Are there any other particular tips/tricks other than occasionally throwing the first round? Like best cards to try and purchase / trade?