The Witcher 3

spud131

Playing this for the first time during this lockdown. The combat is atrocious as is the navigation on character menus etc.

Does it become easier as you actually level up as I’ve died about 8000 times and had to endure the massive loading screen to restart which doesn’t help to make me want to keep playing.

20 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Playing this for the first time during this lockdown. The combat is atrocious as is the navigation on character menus etc.

Does it become easier as you actually level up as I’ve died about 8000 times and had to endure the massive loading screen to restart which doesn’t help to make me want to keep playing.

What difficulty are you playing at?  It can be a bit erratic in that way.  You can defeat certain enemies in Death March, then come up against a gang of weaker enemies that tear you to shreds on lower difficulties.  And yeah, the loading screen is loooooong on revive.  It does get easier as you get better equipment, higher levels.

I almost put it down after a couple of hours early on, but it ended up probably being my favourite game of all time.  But I can completely see someone not enjoying it.

I mind starting this at the same time I got Fallout 4 and to begin with I was playing Fallout a lot, lot more. 

As soon as I started getting into it though, it  completely took over until I finished it, despite never playing the prequels at that time (and still early on in 2 just now). So the joy of seeing certain characters pop up was missed on me at the time.

What difficulty are you playing at?  It can be a bit erratic in that way.  You can defeat certain enemies in Death March, then come up against a gang of weaker enemies that tear you to shreds on lower difficulties.  And yeah, the loading screen is loooooong on revive.  It does get easier as you get better equipment, higher levels.
I almost put it down after a couple of hours early on, but it ended up probably being my favourite game of all time.  But I can completely see someone not enjoying it.

On the one above easy mode. It’s more like you say when I go one on one with a werewolf for example I get a decent fight in and can beat it eventually, compared to a group of drowners who bend me over.

Anyone got any easy tips on how to get better at or how Gwent works skipped through the tutorial and haven’t touched it again since.

On 03/04/2020 at 15:06, Scotty Tunbridge said:

On the one above easy mode. It’s more like you say when I go one on one with a werewolf for example I get a decent fight in and can beat it eventually, compared to a group of drowners who bend me over.

Anyone got any easy tips on how to get better at or how Gwent works skipped through the tutorial and haven’t touched it again since.

Basically you need to manage your cards so that you have more points than the other person after 3 rounds. This usually means deliberately sandbagging the first round the get the opponent to use more of their good cards while saving more of your own to skoosh the last 2 legs. Follow the gwent missions to get more cards, check every shop merchant for useful cards and play absolutely everyone. It's not got a high learning curve, one it clicks you're sorted.

Just now, GiGi said:

Basically you need to manage your cards so that you have more points than the other person after 3 rounds. This usually means deliberately sandbagging the first round the get the opponent to use more of their good cards while saving more of your own to skoosh the last 2 legs. Follow the gwent missions to get more cards, check every shop merchant for useful cards and play absolutely everyone. It's not got a high learning curve, one it clicks you're sorted.

Also, spy cards are pretty much the best route to victory most of the time as they let you draw more cards. More cards than opponent usually = you win.

• 2 months later...

Canned the idea of going into RDR- because it's only available on PS4 with a subscription which I'm unwilling to pay- I just don't play enough to justify. Stopped buying RDR2 as I remembered I had tried to get into Witcher 2.

Glad I did, had some hours on it yesterday and finally got some handle on the control system at least. Think I've almost finished with the Flotsam area of the game, just had the 

Spoiler

first battle with Letho involving the Sco'tail. From the first game I went against the Elves and I'm continuing that now, by backing Roach at the choice selection.

and really enjoying it now. Some battles are hard when up against a group for example a group of Spectres in the Melitite's Heart quest. But it's enjoyable once more and I might even re-purchase Witcher 3 when I'm finished this so I can finish the whole thing from book 1 to game 3.

• 1 month later...

My missus has been playing it but leaving me to do anything Gwent related, but she decided to have a go at the tournament when I was asleep and failed miserably. :(

My missus has been playing it but leaving me to do anything Gwent related, but she decided to have a go at the tournament when I was asleep and failed miserably. [emoji20]
Sakes, boot in the pie required. I'm going for a full deck this time round, so it's essential.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing this again. Going to pick Yen instead of Triss this time. Also playing Gwent instead of just ignoring it. Some cards are really annoying. Not a fan of scorch at all. I also hate the cards opponents play that call up another 2 cards of the same type instantly. I've seen rows stacked with 9 cards for the sake of 3 actual plays.

Only way I can seem to win at Gwent is by deliberately losing the first round. Give up low value or weather cards and let them use a load of theirs so that by round 3 I'm winning it with one or two cards worth barely double figures.

You just have to get wise to the tactics of what deck the opponent is playing with. You should be able to see when you redraw 2 cards what deck they have. If it's monsters, I'll keep a frost card if they start to go heavy like you said, just discard heavy rain for something else. You literally have to just play everyone you can early on (inn keepers, blacksmiths etc) and do any early Gwent quests to make your deck strong enough to deal with this.

Yen's attitude is part of the appeal. Also for lore reasons I just cannot with Triss. She literally used Geralt's amnesia to act out her wee fantasy with him. Absolute wrong'un. Never trust a ginger.

Having watched the Netflix show and read a few of the books, I've started playing this.

I've just finished White Orchard and to be honest not that impressed yet. The controls, fighting and inventory are all a bit clunky which is fair enough considering the game has been out for years.

I was expecting the writing, story and missions to all be great and so far that's been very bog standard but it's early doors yet so assuming it picks up.

1 hour ago, Jack Burton said:

Having watched the Netflix show and read a few of the books, I've started playing this.

I've just finished White Orchard and to be honest not that impressed yet. The controls, fighting and inventory are all a bit clunky which is fair enough considering the game has been out for years.

I was expecting the writing, story and missions to all be great and so far that's been very bog standard but it's early doors yet so assuming it picks up.

White Orchard is a pretty basic introduction. Things get far more interesting from Velen onwards, but the game itself still has plenty of standard genre tropes. Grinding witcher contracts or hidden treasure sites is still grinding. What format are you playing? I've got the PS4 and PC versions and found neither to be clunky, Combat is smooth and signs work well. The only thing that has a very limited use is the crossbow, although it becomes a one shot killer under water. I'm using my PS4 pad on my PC play through and it's great. Works perfectly.

Got past the point where I could pump Triss last night. Resisted the urge to kiss her at the masked ball. All in with Yen I suppose. Was also pretty chuffed when I won a Ciri Gwent card.

Just finished it today with the good ending. Absolutely love this game, knowing everything that has happened before and how it comes together. A whole new level of appreciation for what they've done. The depth and scale CDPR have gone to make this is incredible. Shame they're based in Poland and not Germany, I'd love to work there. 

Still working on getting all the Gwent cards, think I'll focus on that next week before hitting Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine again. It's an utter b*****d trying to figure out where I've missed buying any cards though, I've played all the Gwent missions and think I've managed to play everyone. Will have to cheat and use a list online of traders and their locations to go buy everything missing.