The Witcher 3

spud131

My only play through so far I pumped as many as I could and thought I was in for that threesome with Yen and Trish. How wrong I was
:thumbsdown Hard to choose between Yen and Triss though, I mean FFS! If push came to blurt, I'd side for Triss but tomorrow it's highly possible I'd say Yen.

I too done this; combined with my over protectiveness of Ciri it resulted in the worst possible ending. [emoji24]

The only real complaint I've had thus far is to do with the world; I prefer games like this to have one continuous world to explore as opposed to having various ones (that all look the same). Do they continue to all be pretty much identical?

3 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The only real complaint I've had thus far is to do with the world; I prefer games like this to have one continuous world to explore as opposed to having various ones (that all look the same). Do they continue to all be pretty much identical?

Skellige is more frozen and hilly (also can be a b*****d to get about) than Velen / Novigrad / White Orchard

Also if you get the DLC, then Toussaint (the area in Blood & Wine) is jawdroppingly pretty as it's a rich area.

Skellige is more frozen and hilly (also can be a b*****d to get about) than Velen / Novigrad / White Orchard
Also if you get the DLC, then Toussaint (the area in Blood & Wine) is jawdroppingly pretty as it's a rich area.

Think I've only been to Velen, Novigrad and White Orchard so far. Looking forward to seeing a bit more of the world. I've got nothing on on Thursday and Friday, so I reckon they'll be wasted playing this.

Velenand and white orchard are pitifully poor, downtrodden and it's always raining. Hence the colour schemes, it's all thematic. Towards the cities of Novigrad and Oxenfurt it's a bit brighter and more affluent. 

As above Skellige is a collection of very rugged, stunning Scandinavian/Celtic looking islands and Toussaint is like an absolute dream, vibrant wonderland. Think south of France in the height of summer with a bit of Disneyland and medieval chivalry thrown in.

You'll notice a very clear difference in setting as you go from one place to the next.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Velenand and white orchard are pitifully poor, downtrodden and it's always raining. Hence the colour schemes, it's all thematic. Towards the cities of Novigrad and Oxenfurt it's a bit brighter and more affluent. 

As above Skellige is a collection of very rugged, stunning Scandinavian/Celtic looking islands and Toussaint is like an absolute dream, vibrant wonderland. Think south of France in the height of summer with a bit of Disneyland and medieval chivalry thrown in.

You'll notice a very clear difference in setting as you go from one place to the next.

This.  I can see the point in accies saying that not much changes, because it doesn't really.  But that's part of the point - thematically they shouldn't really change wildly.  

The mainland running from White Orchard up to the tap o' Novigrad is roughly the same, although the latter is far more built up and rich.  In fact, Novigrad itself changes from the bottom to the top, with it mostly being slums around the base, building up to the markets in the middle, then the richer areas at the top.  But it's once you leave the mainland and go towards Skellige that things change.  The landscape's a lot more rugged there, tougher to get around.  Plus, as others have said, Toussaint is like nothing else.  Absolutely gorgeous scenery.

I wasn't necessarily slagging it! All I was saying is that I prefer it when the environment changes up a bit, as I think it looks very similar. I still stand by how much I dislike the map being split, and it not being one continuous world, though.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I wasn't necessarily slagging it! All I was saying is that I prefer it when the environment changes up a bit, as I think it looks very similar. I still stand by how much I dislike the map being split, and it not being one continuous world, though.

What parts are split?  I thought you could travel from most places to the others manually rather than fast-travelling, just that it took ages.  Could be wrong though, I don't think I've ever really tried it.  

What parts are split?  I thought you could travel from most places to the others manually rather than fast-travelling, just that it took ages.  Could be wrong though, I don't think I've ever really tried it.  

I'm certain it's all split. You've made me doubt myself now!

It is split a little bit. White orchard, Velen and Novigrad (massive), Kaer Morhen, Skellige (also massive), Toussaint and the Imperial palace in Vizima. Other than that you can come and go without fast travel.

19 hours ago, GiGi said:

It is split a little bit. White orchard, Velen and Novigrad (massive), Kaer Morhen, Skellige (also massive), Toussaint and the Imperial palace in Vizima. Other than that you can come and go without fast travel.

You're right - can't get to Kaer Morhen (forgot about that) or Toussaint or Vizima (forgot about that too).  I thought you could get to Skellige manually though, but like I said could be wrong.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

You're right - can't get to Kaer Morhen (forgot about that) or Toussaint or Vizima (forgot about that too).  I thought you could get to Skellige manually though, but like I said could be wrong.  

Nah, it's also a bit of a plot hole in the game

Spoiler

that to get there the first time costs you all the moniez to get a ship etc but after you've been once you can just juke back and forth no problem despite your ship being wrecked and captain dead

and yes, I know you can get the money back off the body of the captain

15 hours in, and I'm getting a bit tired of a lot of quests seeming to be endless - go to this person, go to this person, then this person. I had a look at what I've done for the 'Ladies of the Wood' quest, and it pretty much all includes "find, follow, talk".
The game is amazing when you're just wandering around the map trying to find creatures to slice in half.
I'm still willing to sink a whole load of more hours into it, but it's getting very repetitive.

• 2 weeks later...

Been randomly jonesing to replay this, won't be able to for a fortnight :(:(:( As time passes my appreciation of it just grows and grows. Orders of magnitude better than pretty much any game I've ever played.

No idea what accies is on about. "Don't like the map being broken up into little areas." - Introductory area, Kaer Morhen and two areas bigger than Skyrim. "It all looks the same" - has been to Velen, war-torn swampland, Novigrad - inside one of the most impressive cities ever realised in gaming, outside medieval European farmland.

Edited by Antti Niemi

Got goty edition for christmas. Just started it after finishing dragon age inquisition. Bit of a control change and a ramp up in difficulty (from end of game dragonage where i went and killed all dragons with ease to running from anything more than 3 wolves at once) getting hang of it and its getting good ( just done tower of mice) just wish i had more time to play it