Thistle v 'Well at the Maryhill San Siro

Pleasing.

First half was poor from both teams, but in the second we stepped up a gear and were just by far the better team. Very impressive performance from many players today, with Lyle Taylor the standout; he dragged the Motherwell CBs all over the place, held the ball up really well and most importantly scored twice.

Plenty of other positives as well, including Osman, who aside from the first few minutes when he nearly gave Well a goal with a stupid passback, controlled the midfield and let nobody past him. Frans and Balatoni is turning into a great partnership, and it's the first time since we've come up that Balatoni looks like he's comfortable playing with the guy next to him. Going to be a dilemma for Archie when Seaborne is finally fit again.

Cracking support through from Motherwell today. 1,600 I think was announced? Much better seeing that stand looking full than some of the 150-odd efforts we've had recently from certain teams.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge. Was bricking it all day but that's exactly what we needed, not quite there yet but very close to safety. Defence was immense, other than the early mistake where well put it wide I can't remember fox having a save to make. Balatoni has come on hugely in the last wee while and Frans is solid as a rock. And well played Taylor with both goals and some great link up play. Higgy at least worked his socks off today, still not coming off for him though. Overall, absolutely wonderful display and result, nearly there now.

Archibald had his tactics spot on. Barra didn't.

Motherwell starting with Sutton up front and Erwin on the (unfavoured) left as a massive mistake as it forced the team to play long balls. Despite this, the first half went so, so and was fairly even. The second half however, Archibald had two men on McDonald and Erwin whenever the ball was played and had the rest of the team closing down the midfield led by a very impressive Osman. Motherwell were truly on the back foot for the rest of the game and it was a well earned home win.

Why Barra couldn't put Erwin in his favoured position, give Thomas a start and keep Sutton as an impact sub if needed is beyond me.

Great result.

As has been said a fantastic away support. Noisy and great backing to their team as we did with ours.

Thats the second highest attendance we have had at Firhill all season.

To be fair Motherwell always bring a good away support to Firhill

Yeah the Motherwell fans created a great atmosphere today, though if I hear Twist and Shout again I might end up in Barlinnie. What is that all about? Thought it was a similar game to the Fir Park game. Well probably edged the first half but we destroyed them in the second. No failures but Booth, Balatoni and Frans had Ainsworth, Sutton and McDonald in their back pockets. Big Abdul was absolutely immense except for his early blunder and Lyle Taylor...well if we have first options on him, we need to get him signed now on a contract. His work rate and holding up of the ball, never mind his goals, was fantastic. One more win should see us safe hopefully.

Yeah the Motherwell fans created a great atmosphere today, though if I hear Twist and Shout again I might end up in Barlinnie. What is that all about? Thought it was a similar game to the Fir Park game. Well probably edged the first half but we destroyed them in the second. No failures but Booth, Balatoni and Frans had Ainsworth, Sutton and McDonald in their back pockets. Big Abdul was absolutely immense except for his early blunder and Lyle Taylor...well if we have first options on him, we need to get him signed now on a contract. His work rate and holding up of the ball, never mind his goals, was fantastic. One more win should see us safe hopefully.

Hopefully he'll be signed up soon. A transfer fee has been agreed with Scunthorpe 8)

Need to get a few of the out of contract boys signed up too.

Abzy, Fox and Balatoni off the top of my head. Craigen and Elliott too.

The fact we spent the first 70 odd mins with no natural left winger on the pitch today with Erwin, Sutton and even McDonald all taking turns to play there, before finally bringing on a natural left winger with 20 mins to go only to take off Ainsworth and stick young Thomas on the right wing instead fucking summed up that shambles today. Oh and the fact we brought Lasley off before he got himself sent off only for his replacement Carswell to get sent off five mins later, you have to laugh really.

Did not understand Baraclough's thinking at all , Lee Erwin has been fantastic and scored 3 goals in his recent two games and is rewarded by being punted out on the left wing to chase shadows. Thus leaving the immobile John Sutton, who couldn't trap a bag of cement, leading the line. Badly missed Erwin's touch and mobility through the middle and Johnson's pace on the left, created nothing all day and reverted to thumping aimless high balls towards Sutton. Also good to see the Lionel Ainsworth we've all grown to loathe this season return today when the tv cameras weren't there. The fact he just about managed to hit the scaffolding behind the goals with two attempted crosses in the first half was so bad it was almost funny.

In fairness to Thistle they done their homework, nullified our threat out wide and forced into hitting aimless high balls to Sutton and then used your spare men in midfield to pick up the 2nd balls. Osman strolled it in the middle of the park. They also managed to get Taylor down the sides of our shaky defence and we struggled to cope with his pace and power all afternoon. Dreadful defending from us for both his goals mind, also looked like he was a lucky boy not to see a red card for his kick out on Lasley when they were both on the floor. Not that it would have made much of a difference to the outcome of the game at that stage mind, a thoroughly deserved three points for Thistle for their 2nd half performance.

A dreadful bottle job from Baraclough and the team today in a must not lose game and now baring a miracle in Paisley, it looks like it's going to be the play-offs for us.

Can someone multi quote the Motherwell fans who were acting like c***s before the game and post a laughing smiley? Cheers

I like Thistle and would prefer they stayed in the top flight.

I think we'll lose.

I expect a much tougher game than Tuesday night though.

at Pittodrie even if we shat the bed at 1-0 up...

I think a lot of Motherwell fans are getting a bit carried away because we beat atrocious Hamilton and St. Mirren teams. Partick are much better than either of those.

:lol:

c***s!

:(

The Motherwell fans on here have been decent tbf.

Met a few in Coopers. Decent bunch of folks.

I hope they pump the Rangerzzzz in the playoffs 8)

Expect no mercy Thistle, 3-1 to the Steelmen.

We're definitely more than capable of winning this.

3 - 1 Motherwell (Johnson, Erwin, Ainsworth)

We'll score, no doubt.

3-1 'Well (Ainsworth, Erwin, Sutton)

Tougher fixture than midweek no doubt, but still feel another pumping will be dished out. 5-1 well. I even think Straker will get on the scoresheet, I am sure of that as I'm sure I will have a bout of the skoot if I sample a McGhies pie at half time tomorrow.

Actually avoided looking at the league table in recent weeks as midden, county and well were all cut adrift at the bottom, just seemed killie and thistle were picking up points, can't believe it can be cut down to almost one.

giphy.gif

Did not understand Baraclough's thinking at all , Lee Erwin has been fantastic and scored 3 goals in his recent two games and is rewarded by being punted out on the left wing to chase shadows. Thus leaving the immobile John Sutton, who couldn't trap a bag of cement, leading the line.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

I thought Baracloughs thinking was fairly clear. Go with the front line that got us the win at Rugby park - in fact we looked better in that game after moving Erwin out wide and bringing Sutton on. Let's not forget Suttons stuck the ball in the back of the net 4 times in about 60 minutes of game time recently too.

The reality is that if the team as a whole had performed as well as they had vs Accies, St. Mirren and Killie we could have taken somthing from that game. Too many not at the races today - a worryingly familiar senario from this season.

Archived