Thistle v 'Well at the Maryhill San Siro

Depending on Thistles result at Parkhead tonight this could be a must win for both teams although arguably we need the win more to keep our momentum going. Always like the trip to Firhill and will be going on Saturday

Head says 1-1 with Erwin scoring

Heart says 2-1 well with Johnson and Sutton scoring

EDIT- and the stadium announcer to be an utter fanny as per usual

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge game for both sides. Whoever wins will have a great advantage going into the split, although from a thistle perspective it could be argued as more of a "must not lose" than must win as the draw will still leave us a decent advantage over motherwell.

We've struggled against the teams around us (both county and St Mirren have beaten us twice already) but the 3-1 at firhill is the last time I can remember completely outplaying a fellow struggler, a repeat of that would be glorious.

Line-ups etc. for us will depend on tonight's performance, but both teams are in good form, so would expect s decent crowd for this one considering that and the fact that it's easily the biggest game of the season for both clubs so far.

Head says a nervy 1-1, heart says 3-1 thistle, with the 3rd coming late on to calm the nerves which will undoubtedly be tested to the full.

I will be heading along for my 1st away game of the season. Go to all home games, but decided against aways this season in order to put more cash into MFC.

This game however is too important to miss. We will definitely bring 1000+

Sadly due to the unprecedented winning streak that County are on and the fact they WILL beat St Mirren on Monday. That and losing to Thistle will put us 6 and 7 points behind with 5 games to go. We really must not lose and in fact really still need to win.

Thistle are playing well and are at home. But with our upturn in form and free scoring forwards I feel we are in with a chance. I see it as being a high scoring draw or narrow (high scoring)win to either side.

Being born in Hillhead I like Thistle and would prefer they stayed in the top flight. But it is kill or be killed stage now.

Bring it ON

As with last night and every remaining game, from a Motherwell point of view, this has to be another three points. Anything less is just not an option.

We should bring through a decent crowd and with the way Johnson, Ainsworth, McDonald and Erwin are playing I expect we'll score at least two. I'll predict 2-1 to Motherwell.

Hopefully Pearson makes it

Huge.

Tonight's game probably won't help, you'd expect us to be chasing shadows for a fair amount of it and the associated possibility of picking up red cards / injuries / a thrashing plus 24 hours less to recover.

Even though our defence has been doing fine of late, I'd expect to concede given Motherwell's attacking form- however I think also we will score.

Will be interesting to see who replaces Craigen and if we go hack to the diamondish formation we've been playing with success recently. Would've expected so if Craigen hadn't seen red and it'd would've been the team that played vs Aberdeen (Taylor, not Doolan). Higgy could come in but that'd be a bit too baws oot so it'll be Fraser or Wilson. Fraser's undoubtedly the better player but has been short of confidence although his 40 yarder in the reserves should help. Wilson suits the position better but it's a big game to throw him in.

I'm working unfortunately which means I'll be checking my phone every 2 minutes and probably getting sacked.

1-1. Taylor for us and Ainsworth to ping one in from 30 yards after 80+ minutes.

I'm dreading this if I'm honest. We're on a decent run of form, with plenty of shut-outs against the stronger sides in the league, I believe we're a better side than Motherwell, but it's in our DNA to crumble in a crunch match against a team below us with a big crowd present.

Prove me wrong please Thistle.

If we wanted to play Craigen could we f**k about with the system and put an appeal in at 4.55 on Friday? Totally frivolous, but we did the same with Bannigan's red card earlier in the season so he could play Hamilton and never got any extra punishment.

I suppose the games after the split are going to be pretty important so maybe best to let it go.

For this, I hope we don't sit back and play for a draw, think that will lead to defeat. Motherwell will have this down as must win so they'll be going for it. I'd bring Taylor in for Craigen and drop Stevenson back- think Taylor's pace against their back line could be key. Play Higginbotham on the main stand side where the Motherwell fans are , hopefully the abuse he'll get will spark him into the unstoppable Higginbotham of the run-in last season. Or he'll just have a hack at someone and get sent off again. If we do want to play 3 central midfielders Higgy would be the one to drop out though.

Fox

O'Donnell Frans Balatoni Booth

Osman Bannigan

Lawless Stevenson Higginbotham

Taylor

Hopefuly we play that and Stevenson can drop deeper if we're getting overrun at all. There should be goals in that team and the defence has been looking more solid in recent weeks but I have a horrible feeling about this.

We are rubbish, second bottom FFS, so sit back and play for a draw.

We've no width, so play 3 central midfielder.

You completely outplayed us at the 3-1 game and we are the same team, so try fancy stuff.

It's between Ross County & Motherwell for play offs, it's in all the papers, so relax, you're safe anyway.

Enjoy the game.

edit: go on to steelmenonline as proof of how bad Baraclough, Sutton, Erwin and Ainsworth are. Thanks.

We are rubbish, second bottom FFS, so sit back and play for a draw.

We've no width, so play 3 central midfielder.

You completely outplayed us at the 3-1 game and we are the same team, so try fancy stuff.

It's between Ross County & Motherwell for play offs, it's in all the papers, so relax, you're safe anyway.

Enjoy the game.

edit: go on to steelmenonline as proof of how bad Baraclough, Sutton, Erwin and Ainsworth are. Thanks.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

I thought about that exact same picture while reading that guy's post. Weird.

I'm absolutely shitting it about this game. It's the sort of game we just love to lose.

I'd go with the same team posted by POTM because I think it makes the most sense, but it wouldn't totally surprise me to see Archie replace Craigen with Fraser in a direct swap, as he seems to have completely gone off Higgy (which isn't entirely unjustified, tbh).

You are so sick!

Thanks to Ross C every game for Well is must win until the point we are not in 11th.

Truth is a draw would be a decent outcome for Thistle on Saturday. But would mean we would probably fall 6 points behind County and of course stay 4 behind Thistle.

The pressure is still very much on Motherwell at the moment. Both Ross C and Thistle can afford a slip up and it will still be in your hands. we on the other hand cannot!

Archived