Queens v The improving Sevco

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After getting the first weeks coaching and a couple of games under his belt McCall's team and formation selection has been spot on. I feel the most difficult part now is keeping this unbelievable transformation going.

This. Also been impressed with McCall's use of young players, completely different to Ally's lazy methods.

This. Also been impressed with McCall's use of young players, completely different to Ally's lazy methods.

I genuinely can't believe the transformation. When I look back at McCall's first 2 games Livingston and Alloa when he was obviously weighing the squad up. The performance in the last 3 games I firmly believe no fan or professional could have envisaged. The icing on the cake for me he hasn't done the easy thing by keep playing the wining team. He has changed the personnel and formation depending on the opposition. The formation change at half time on Sunday and three 3 substitutions again spot on. (remember this Hearts team scores for fun) Also he appears to have brought a togetherness in the squad. I know a managers job isn't easy however McCoist must be under the bed with the biscuit tin. Probably it's empty by now! As said similar to all managers the difficulty now is keeping it going.

I don't think we want to lose the plot entirely here. Has McCall improved Rangers immeasurably? No doubt. It would be hard for anyone competent not to have done so and he's certainly a competent and by all accounts talented manager & coach. They will be a much more difficult opponent now undoubtedly.

That said, the personnel hasn't changed and they are not world beaters. It's the same players we drew with at Ibrox 4 weeks ago. The last three results Rangers fans are getting slightly carried away with have seen them beat a Hearts team which clearly packed up and went on holiday over a week ago (they were operating at about half pace against us last weekend too), a Hibs team which has also lost to Raith Rovers and ourselves in the two games following and a Cowdenbeath side who were 7 minutes from getting a 1-1 draw at Ibrox before collapsing.

I don't expect to win on Thursday and I'd happily take a draw now if one was on the table. However, I don't fear the game and we certainly can win it. In three games to date this season Rangers have played well against us for about 45 minutes of the first game at Ibrox. Without that David Templeton inspired burst of form we'd most likely be unbeaten against them to date.

I agree with Monkey Tennis and others though. It's not our most important game this week by any stretch of the imagination and if we can win one game this coming week then I hope it's Falkirk all day long. Beating Rangers is worth three points to us. Beating Falkirk is effectively worth six. Rangers aren't dropping out of the playoffs and, barring a complete collapse from Hibs, we're in a two horse race to make them ourselves.

I don't think we want to lose the plot entirely here. Has McCall improved Rangers immeasurably? No doubt. It would be hard for anyone competent not to have done so and he's certainly a competent and by all accounts talented manager & coach. They will be a much more difficult opponent now undoubtedly.

That said, the personnel hasn't changed and they are not world beaters. It's the same players we drew with at Ibrox 4 weeks ago. The last three results Rangers fans are getting slightly carried away with have seen them beat a Hearts team which clearly packed up and went on holiday over a week ago (they were operating at about half pace against us last weekend too), a Hibs team which has also lost to Raith Rovers and ourselves in the two games following and a Cowdenbeath side who were 7 minutes from getting a 1-1 draw at Ibrox before collapsing.

I don't expect to win on Thursday and I'd happily take a draw now if one was on the table. However, I don't fear the game and we certainly can win it. In three games to date this season Rangers have played well against us for about 45 minutes of the first game at Ibrox. Without that David Templeton inspired burst of form we'd most likely be unbeaten against them to date.

I agree with Monkey Tennis and others though. It's not our most important game this week by any stretch of the imagination and if we can win one game this coming week then I hope it's Falkirk all day long. Beating Rangers is worth three points to us. Beating Falkirk is effectively worth six. Rangers aren't dropping out of the playoffs and, barring a complete collapse from Hibs, we're in a two horse race to make them ourselves.

Yes, that's about the size of it.

Rangers clearly are a better outfit than they've been for much of the season and they make for a more demanding opponent, but the extent of the transformation is I think, probably being overstated by some.

Remember that even McCoist and McDowall had them in second place for most of their reigns and they had a run in the autumn of several straight wins - was it 7 or 8 or something? And it included defeats of top flight sides in Cup games.

I think we'll probably lose on Thursday, but I've felt the same going into all of our games against them in recent seasons.

I never said they were world beaters and you have to believe Rangers fans, Rangers for months have been absolutely terrible even worse if that was possible since McDowall took over 4 months ago. It is early days and as I said McCall's difficulty now is maintaining this until the end of the season. The fact he has turned the performances totally around you must give him all the credit he thoroughly deserves. I genuinely believe very few 'competent' managers could have equalled his achievements in this short period of time. I disagree why Rangers won these three games. Disrespectful saying Hearts away on holiday. Hibs were 15 games undefeated and as for Cowdenbeath a game lasts for 90 not 83 mins. Rangers won 4-1! I do understand your thinking regarding the Rangers and Falkirk matches but from a professional outlook it can be can be very dangerous having these thoughts. Just go out and give 100% in every game and see where you are at the end of the season. Yes Carmichael and Reilly's pace caused Rangers problems in the 4-2 match. Templeton introduction changed the game and to be fair so did Blacks. Yes you probably deserved a draw! Hopefully not on Thursday. I hope you make the play offs!

I never said they were world beaters and you have to believe Rangers fans, Rangers for months have been absolutely terrible even worse if that was possible since McDowall took over 4 months ago. It is early days and as I said McCall's difficulty now is maintaining this until the end of the season. The fact he has turned the performances totally around you must give him all the credit he thoroughly deserves. I genuinely believe very few 'competent' managers could have equalled his achievements in this short period of time.

This is the kind of overstatement we're referring to.

Rangers do have some decent players - the pick of them ironically, arriving courtesy of Ashley. They've also had their goalkeeper return, a significant factor that McCall can take no credit for.

McCall's overall record thus far, can really only be seen as decent - how many did he draw at first, was it three?

I'm not denying that he's getting more out of them than his hapless gardening predecessors, but I neither think Rangers were all that awful before, or have been all that electric since.

This is the kind of overstatement we're referring to.

Rangers do have some decent players - the pick of them ironically, arriving courtesy of Ashley. They've also had their goalkeeper return, a significant factor that McCall can take no credit for.

McCall's overall record thus far, can really only be seen as decent - how many did he draw at first, was it three?

I'm not denying that he's getting more out of them than his hapless gardening predecessors, but I neither think Rangers were all that awful before, or have been all that electric since.

Only one and Vuckic arrived in January. Bell has not won Rangers any points. In fact I'm not a fan of his. McCall to his credit has made big decisions introducing youths and others ( Shiels & Clark) and dropped them as well. Black Daly Boyd & Hutton. ! Believe his first two games were draws the next three wins two against the top two at the time. There is no doubt every players performance has greatly improved since his arrival. And yes even Mr Mohsni. Ask any Rangers fan. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I never said they were world beaters and you have to believe Rangers fans, Rangers for months have been absolutely terrible even worse if that was possible since McDowall took over 4 months ago. It is early days and as I said McCall's difficulty now is maintaining this until the end of the season. The fact he has turned the performances totally around you must give him all the credit he thoroughly deserves. I genuinely believe very few 'competent' managers could have equalled his achievements in this short period of time. I disagree why Rangers won these three games. Disrespectful saying Hearts away on holiday. Hibs were 15 games undefeated and as for Cowdenbeath a game lasts for 90 not 83 mins. Rangers won 4-1! I do understand your thinking regarding the Rangers and Falkirk matches but from a professional outlook it can be can be very dangerous having these thoughts. Just go out and give 100% in every game and see where you are at the end of the season. Yes Carmichael and Reilly's pace caused Rangers problems in the 4-2 match. Templeton introduction changed the game and to be fair so did Blacks. Yes you probably deserved a draw! Hopefully not on Thursday. I hope you make the play offs!

I never said you did say they were world beaters. thepundit however said "McCall has Rangers playing superbly" which is a variant on the same theme. I'm conscious Rangers have been terrible for months and I don't think I could give him any more credit than already saying he's a talented manager and coach who has improved them immeasurably. I like McCall and I'm happy to agree he's done better than most would have done so quickly with this group.

I didn't see the Rangers v Hearts game in it's entirety (I saw the highlights last night) but I read the text commentary and match thread on here which said Hearts were awful and I saw Heart with my own eyes operating at half pace at Tynecastle last week with the title won and that was at home on a celebration Saturday in front of a full house. Not a stretch by any imagination to presume they've continued to switch off. Neilson clearly made a couple of changes to his best eleven also. Hibs may have been undefeated for a long time but the result is put into context by the fact they've lost the two since also. Hibs are no great shakes. And yes a game lasts for 90 minutes but Cowdenbeath were about the most out of form side in the division and we've beaten them 5-0 and 4-1 ourselves in recent weeks. That they ran you close to a point before giving up the ghost in injury time isn't really an indication of a team "playing superbly".

I don't doubt for a second we'll give it 100% on Thursday. However that doesn't change the fact it's not our most important game in the next 7 days and, if anyone is touch and go for Thursday then, personally, I'd resist the temptation to risk them for Rangers and prefer to make sure they are available for Falkirk.

As MT says, it's more likely than not we'll lose on Thursday. Rangers are better than us, that's why, despite McCoist and McDowall, they are above us in the table. However they are not massively superior and we've probably had the better of the head to heads so far this season over the piece. A month of McCall doesn't make them something we should overly worry about. If we lose, then we lose. As long as we don't take a drubbing I won't lose any sleep over it. Indeed, if we lose and Falkirk don't win at Livingston it'll be a successful midweek round of fixtures for us.

Only one and Vuckic arrived in January. Bell has not won Rangers any points. In fact I'm not a fan of his. McCall to his credit has made big decisions introducing youths and others ( Shiels & Clark) and dropped them as well. Black Daly Boyd & Hutton. ! Believe his first two games were draws the next three wins two against the top two at the time. There is no doubt every players performance has greatly improved since his arrival. And yes even Mr Mohsni. Ask any Rangers fan. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I know only Vuckic has made an impact and that he only arrived in January - it was him I was obviously referring to as the pick of your players.

Bell maybe hasn't 'won' you points with heroics you can pinpoint, but I've little doubt that Rangers' defence will be a steadier looking ship with him behind it, than it looked in front of Simonsen or Robinson.

Just as a couple of the recent wins came against stronger sides, the early draws didn't and again form a more complete picture of McCall' s tenure thus far.

You're right though - it looks like we'll need to agree to differ.

As said agree to disagree. Still think you guys are giving reasons for Rangers winning due to the opposition 'failings' rather than just maybe, Rangers performances were excellent. Gentle reminder one was against the clear champions with ten men. The other away from home against the 2nd placed team on a 15 match run!

Slight digress .....will you play Carmichael high up the park to try and keep Wallace occupied. I recognise Carmichael is not the best when asked to defend but it would be interesting to see who would win the sprint! If you remember at Ibrox (4-2 match ) Wallace started at wide left but Carmichael was causing problems and Rangers very quickly had to go into a back four with Wallace dropping back to left back.

Brilliant.

Cowdenbeath were chasing the game after Rangers went 2-1 up with a few minutes left. We changed formation and got picked off twice as goal difference was not an issue for us even after going 3-1 down. It was hardly a world beating performance and 4-1 against Cowden is nothing to be excited about. Every other team in the top 5 has caned us by at least 5 this season.

You need a reality check if your judging an improvement based on a 3 goal defeat of us.

Cowdenbeath were chasing the game after Rangers went 2-1 up with a few minutes left. We changed formation and got picked off twice as goal difference was not an issue for us even after going 3-1 down. It was hardly a world beating performance and 4-1 against Cowden is nothing to be excited about. Every other team in the top 5 has caned us by at least 5 this season.

You need a reality check if your judging an improvement based on a 3 goal defeat of us.

We drew with you in our previous match but beating you 4-1 isn't an improvement?

We drew with you in our previous match but beating you 4-1 isn't an improvement?

Its an improvement yes. I believe the person i responded to was talking about performances. Being a goal up against us with a few minutes to go and then picking us off for two more when we're chasing the game wasn't a great performance considering the hammerings we've had from other teams this season.

Every Rangers fan would have been bricking it with 7 to go at 1-1 and thinking here we fucking go again. Thats hardly the mark of a great performance.

According to thick diddies Rangers

never win due to their outstanding play. It is either Masonic officials cheating or the opponents not turning up. It just isnt really worth debating with them. SD out diddied MT here by a distance.

The thick diddies should go back and read the relevant match threads. The Hibs one being a particular favourite

Archived