Motherwell vs St Mirren 07/04/15

Well that was embarrassing. Watched it on TV because, well I suspected it was coming. There has been an air of resignation for ages around the club and selling McLean as others strengthened sealed the deal.

The main aim for us should be to get a competent manager in who knows the Championship and rebuild to avoid further trouble. Don't want to be fighting relegation again.

I fancy it being a few years for us to come up what with Hibs/Rangers and other harded sides in that league. However if we get a few good away trips and a derby back (hardly guaranteed) it might soothe the misery.

Ach well. So long SPL/Premiership. It's been mostly shite, but hey we might be back sometime!!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The boy had a poor game and to be honest he looked out of his depth at this level. How has he been playing before tonight?

The whole defence has been poor recently in fairness, but Kelly's had a bad season and it's pretty clear he's not as good a prospect as Jason Naismith. Hopefully he can recover from tonight because he just looked utterly lost.

The boy had a poor game and to be honest he looked out of his depth at this level. How has he been playing before tonight?

Came into the team last year at left back. Tesselaar has really replaced him this year so has played a bit at left midfield but not been a regular at left back.

Yet to be convinced with him, but he was awful last night. I think he's at too high a level, not as impressive as Naismith is. I think if we'd signed him we'd have more questions but some of the academy players get off lightly.

Just a clusterfuck of a season all round.

Jim Goodwin is completely shite. I don't understand how anyone could think he's even remotely near good enough for the top flight. Awful.

He does gain about 40 yards at every free kick though by picking the ball up and throwing it with a spin up the field, then doing the same thing two or three more times.

Jim Goodwin is completely shite. I don't understand how anyone could think he's even remotely near good enough for the top flight. Awful.

He's been our best player in the last few months, he seems to be one of the few players who gives a shite of late. That probably explains why we're going down though.

Well that was a great performance, the demolition crew were in fine fettle tonight. I've included some relevant music for st.mirren fans to listen to as they read this post.

Really happy for Erwin finally getting more goals, his performances have been great in recent weeks and has always put in a decent shift, also special mention to Marvin Johnson, what a find.

Felt it would have been a much tighter game but St Mirren look like they have already chucked it. Glad we missed out on signing James Dayton, absolute pathetic display.

So happy I won't have to suffer that baldy, skinny junkie looking st mirren guy on the Sky Sports Scottish Football intro from now on.

Jim had one of the worst performances I've seen. Infact, I can't think of a single player who played well. This was the final last chance and they fucked it, but the season ended months ago.

It's not often that we do it the easy way - but getting that early goal was just what we required to settle any nerves and from then on, there was never a doubt. As decent as we were, St Mirren were totally broken and genuinely as poor a team as we've faced for a few years (especially as they outplayed us in the first two meetings this season).

We've been through a good few managers these past few years but we've always appointed pretty well - St Mirren is the example of how you can kill a decently stable club by doing it badly and I've ended up feeling sorry for Teale as he inherited a mess and got no backing in January when his rivals did. We've relegated a couple of teams over the years and I've always felt sorry for the die-hards that are still there watching the team - and last night was no exception.

On us - Erwin's form and goals may end up being a major thing for us in the battle to avoid joining Saints next season - he finished both very naturally and Saturday looks to have taken some pressure off him. The entire front line had good games - Ainsworth put in a really good whole-game performance which has been his failing in the past and in Johnson, we look to have got a cracking player, even if we had to pay a fee for him. Laing improved again and is now at the point I'll be gutted to see him head South in the summer when his loan is up. The injury to Pearson could be huge blow for us if it is serious but Grant looked excellent when he came on - although Saints had really downed tools by then.

Thistle on Saturday is now huge as they are now right in the battle for the playoffs - and if things keep going as they are - both County and us could escape....

We've been through a good few managers these past few years but we've always appointed pretty well - St Mirren is the example of how you can kill a decently stable club by doing it badly and I've ended up feeling sorry for Teale as he inherited a mess and got no backing in January when his rivals did. We've relegated a couple of teams over the years and I've always felt sorry for the die-hards that are still there watching the team - and last night was no exception.

Good post Swello. That's what hurt most last night - we were truly and utterly horsed by a team that was probably very slightly worse than us around the mid-December mark.

The SP(F)L isn't great, and the margins between being good and not are relatively fine. Motherwell are a best-case example of this. From rubbish to pretty dynamic, good to watch, and full of goals, within the space of a couple months. I doff my (flat) cap to you.

But we, of course, have managed to make a complete and utter c**t of it for reasons that have been discussed ad infinitum. We have precedent for this, of course - Dundee United in 2000/1. If a team actually manages to turn themselves around in any meaningful way (and I don't mean Bomber Brown talking shite-with-no-substance style) then we have shown ourselves to be terrible at responding.

(Of course, it shouldn't be about responding in the first place, we should be capable of putting together a squad capable of security, at the very least.)

Seeing John Sutton last night, and Charlie Adam at the weekend, reminded me of our promotion squad in 2006. We are many moons short of the last team we put out in the second tier.

The worst thing is, at least when, say, ICT appointed Butcher, they got a man who would bounce them back. Gary Teale wasn't the man to keep us up, nor is he the man to help us take relegation on the chin and bounce back. Which begs the question: why?

It's depressing as hell, TBH, but no hiding. We absolutely deserve to go down.

A lot to be happy with in that game, not least our approach to it. The early goal definitely settled us and in the end St. Mirren offered very little. It's been a common failing of Motherwell to make things difficult for themselves in games where there's expectation on them but they went out and got the job done more than competently.

Erwin's a great out ball, his second goal was particularly impressive and McDonald's energy has a value to it that informs a lot of how we're playing at the moment. We've gone from a team who could barely get a shot at goal to one that's creating chances on a regular basis and taking a fair number of them. Lasley's performance was also worthy of note.

Minor irritation was the number of times we were caught offside and passed up good opportunities to break through heavy touches, poor final balls or simply holding on to the ball too long but after scoring 5 and keeping a clean sheet that's little more than nit picking.

Archived