Polls and predictions

Granny Danger

People will call me racist, but I do think it should have been a vote purely for Scottish born residents of Scotland. That wasn't like a normal election, that was deciding the future of Scotland possibly for the next thousand years.

Only Scottish people should have been allowed to vote, its frankly outrageous that we were forced to stay in the UK by people from elsewhere in the UK.

I even thought of a points system; Scottish born residents of Scotland two votes, non-Scottish residents of Scotland one vote, Scottish born non-residents of Scotland one vote.

Every other country on the planet was able to determine their own destiny, in Scotland we had our self-determination thwarted by people who might only be here for university or staying for a few months. It's outrageous.

People can call me racist all they want, I am right, and they are being hysterical. I'm not proposing non-Scots should have been kicked out of the country or shouldn't be allowed to vote in all other elections, but the referendum was different and it should have been only Scottish born residents of Scotland that were allowed to vote.

If it was we would be preparing for independence right now.

Nonsense. I wasn't born in Scotland but I'm every bit as Scottish as you.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course it wasn't just the RUK vote that made up the 383,937 no. I believe it was about 75% no and 25% yes amongst the English population here that voted, but I don't know what the exact total number of votes.

People will call me racist, but I do think it should have been a vote purely for Scottish born residents of Scotland. That wasn't like a normal election, that was deciding the future of Scotland possibly for the next thousand years.

Only Scottish people should have been allowed to vote, its frankly outrageous that we were forced to stay in the UK by people from elsewhere in the UK.

I even thought of a points system; Scottish born residents of Scotland two votes, non-Scottish residents of Scotland one vote, Scottish born non-residents of Scotland one vote.

Every other country on the planet was able to determine their own destiny, in Scotland we had our self-determination thwarted by people who might only be here for university or staying for a few months. It's outrageous.

People can call me racist all they want, I am right, and they are being hysterical. I'm not proposing non-Scots should have been kicked out of the country or shouldn't be allowed to vote in all other elections, but the referendum was different and it should have been only Scottish born residents of Scotland that were allowed to vote.

Hiya Fraser

Wow. You would seriously prevent people who weren't born in Scotland, but live in Scotland from having a say on the future of their country?

See its started already. I don't know who Fraser is, but what I'm saying is 100% correct and completely reasonable. We should not have allowed people who are not Scottish to determine the destiny of Scotland for the next thousand years.

Letting any resident vote on the government for the next five years is fine, the future of the country possibly forever should have been decided solely by Scottish people, its their country.

I wouldn't expect to be allowed to help decide the future of Austria.

Wow. You would seriously prevent people who weren't born in Scotland, but live in Scotland from having a say on the future of their country?

Its not their country if they're not Scottish, that's the point. Its just the country they live in.

Call me ethno-nat, racist, whatever you want, I'm right.

See its started already. I don't know who Fraser is, but what I'm saying is 100% correct and completely reasonable. We should not have allowed people who are not Scottish to determine the destiny of Scotland for the next thousand years.

Letting any resident vote on the government for the next five years is fine, the future of the country possibly forever should have been decided solely by Scottish people, its their country.

I wouldn't expect to be allowed to help decide the future of Austria.

Fraser Aird

http://www.scotzine.com/2014/09/rangers-youngster-fraser-aird-posts-anti-immigrant-indyref-comment/

An independent country born out of a nationality-restricted vote, wouldn't be a country worth having.

The overwhelming majority of people taking part were Scottish born and it didn't happen. Nobody's fault but our own.

Tbf, we don't know for sure but it seems actual Scottish people voted yes. But were thwarted by everyone else.

Its not their country if they're not Scottish, that's the point. Its just the country they live in.

Call me ethno-nat, racist, whatever you want, I'm right.

I was born in Scotland, and lived in Scotland at the time of the vote, but left two months later and may never live there again, yet you are saying that is fine, but my sister, who was born in London but has lived in Scotland her whole life and still lives in Scotland, shouldn't vote simply because of where she was born?

Nonsense. I wasn't born in Scotland but I'm every bit as Scottish as you.

^^^^^ Dyes his hair ginger. :lol:

An independent country born out of a nationality-restricted vote, wouldn't be a country worth having.

The overwhelming majority of people taking part were Scottish born and it didn't happen. Nobody's fault but our own.

Spot on.

I was born in Scotland, and lived in Scotland at the time of the vote, but left two months later and may never live there again, yet you are saying that is fine, but my sister, who was born in London but has lived in Scotland her whole life and still lives in Scotland, shouldn't vote simply because of where she was born?

That's slightly different. Doesn't have to be Scots born as a lot of Scots aren't born in Scotland. If your sister is eligible to play for Scotland I would be fine with that. If she wasn't and moved here for uni or a job I wouldn't.

That's slightly different. Doesn't have to be Scots born as a lot of Scots aren't born in Scotland. If your sister is eligible to play for Scotland I would be fine with that. If she wasn't and moved here for uni or a job I wouldn't.

I'm imagining a lot of students frantically looking up their family history to see if they have a Scottish Grannie.

Tbf, we don't know for sure but it seems actual Scottish people voted yes. But were thwarted by everyone else.

Even using one study, it's touch and go. What would have happened if the Scots only population had voted No (would've been much tighter but still a possibility) - next time second generation foreigns can't vote? Only white Scots can vote?

Democratic votes in civilised countries are conducted based on residency and citizenship, not birthplace. Say what you want about it but I'm absolutely right about this.

Even using one study, it's touch and go. What would have happened if the Scots only population had voted No (would've been much tighter but still a possibility) - next time second generation foreigns can't vote? Only white Scots can vote?

Democratic votes in civilised countries are conducted based on residency and citizenship, not birthplace. Say what you want about it but I'm absolutely right about this.

No, I would have no problem with it as Scots would have determined the future of Scotland. The fact that Scots had their democratic decision thwarted by people who are not Scottish is a problem, when you are talking about the future of Scotland.

You are right that is how they're done, but not all votes are the same, the referendum was very different, unlike any election.

This is the link posted by vikingTON on another thread:

http://centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Scottish%20Referendum%20Study%2027%20March%202015.pdf

The top heading Birth Place:

Outside UK...57.1% no; 42.9% yes

RUK..............72.1% no 27.9% yes

Scotland.......47.3% no 52.7% yes

See look at rUK figures. Those people were not voting according to what's best for Scotland, clearly.

I think Scotland deserves, and further has a right, to have its future determined by people whose sole motivation in their decision is what's best for Scotland.

Its not that unusual a phenomenon anyway. In Alaska natives have certain rights that residents do not have, such as fishing etc. You can move there and live there for fifty years and be American, but not have the same rights as native Alaskans.

In my hometown we have one of the best golf courses in the world. If you are from this town you can jump the waiting list as a kid, if you move here you can't.

Its very common to differentiate between natives and residents, and that should have been done in the referendum.

Archived