Polls and predictions

Granny Danger

Tweeted by Laura Keunsbberg from newsnight:

And v interesting details emerging about campaign for tactical voting building in Scotland ...claims 600 activists working round the country

Also seems they are in EK tonight

What's that actually mean?

Unionists going round trying to get folk to vote for unionist parties to keep the SNP out?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unionists going round trying to get folk to vote for unionist parties to keep the SNP out?

Yep :lol:

If anything, that'll push undecided people towards the SNP. utter madness when the unionist parties credibility is already heavily questioned in Scotland.

I struggle to understand the logic behind it. If you are a Labour supporter in a Tory/SNP marginal surely you would want the SNP to win? I'm unsure if I could bring myself to actually vote SNP, but I would certainly not vote Tory.

I struggle to understand the logic behind it. If you are a Labour supporter in a Tory/SNP marginal surely you would want the SNP to win? I'm unsure if I could bring myself to actually vote SNP, but I would certainly not vote Tory.

There's not enough unionists that are that hardcore anyways to do any real damage, be a lot of folk like yourself that will just vote for their party and hope for the best, can't see many lib dem/labour/Tory voters being that hardcore anti SNP to vote for another party to try keep them out

Tactical voting will make 5% of a difference if you're lucky. You can't persuade lifelong Labour voters to vote Tory and vice-versa; they hate each other. Then there's thr fact the overwhelming majority of people don't vote tactically anyway.

And whilst it's true they hate the SNP too, the SNP winning the seat will prevent the other side getting another seat towards the keys to Number 10.

If 500 people in every constituency voted tactically, all for the party closest to challenging the SNP, it probably would only make a difference in one or two seats as majorities are rarely less than 500. Although that number has been plucked out of the air by me, I doubt this "campaign" will reach more people than that in each area.

11% uk wide granny... more than lib dems

At the next election I'm moving down to Berkshire and standing for the SNP. Mind you given house prices down there I will need to live in a septic tank in the middle of the motorway. Copyright Monty Python.

There's not enough unionists that are that hardcore anyways to do any real damage, be a lot of folk like yourself that will just vote for their party and hope for the best, can't see many lib dem/labour/Tory voters being that hardcore anti SNP to vote for another party to try keep them out

I doubt many would. The problem with the 'SNPout' crowd is they are in the minority of unionist thinking. Ultimately I'm not going to tactically vote for a party I've spent my life campaigning and protesting against (Tories) nor the ones who've spent the past five years supporting them (lib Dems) in order to stop a party I dislike, but ultimately are probably more likely to lead to the government I want to see.

Unionists I think are split between those who believe the battle should be against the nationalists, and those who believe it should be against the other unionist parties. I can't get on board with the idea that 45 SNP, 3 Lib Dems and 2 Tories is better than 50 SNP MPs. I'd like to see 50 Labour MPs from Scotland, and if Tories and Lib Dem supporters want to tactically vote Labour I'm more than happy for them to do so, but hearing stories of Labour activists campaigning for the Tories is infuriating. Ultimately stopping a Tory government is more important than stopping the SNP.

Archived