Polls and predictions

Granny Danger

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine being a Tory and voting Labour. :lol:

However much we may talk about 'Red Tories' and 'Blue Tories', many of these folk will have been diametrically opposed to Labour all their lives.

P

Good summary.

The Queens speech thing is important but also a bit misleading. It's important in that getting it through effectively make Miliband PM and Labour the government; it's misleading in that in and of itself it does nothing - it's just fluffy statements.

The real fun will start with individual pieces of legislation and, of course, the budget.

Personally I'd like to see Sturgeon going in hard from day one. I'd like her to force Miliband to sit down and talk on threat of not supporting a Labour queens speech.

It's telling that the more pragmatic Labour party members (and there are many of those as we know from the New Labour years: pragmatic to the point of cynicism - see Jim Murphy) are making noises that the Miliband minority government will have to deal with the SNP on an issue by issue basis.

The SNP will have to be careful of avoiding voting against Labour on issues where they disagree: they'd be better abstaining rather than being seen to vote with the Tories on anything at all. Except on the defence estimates, where the Tories will likely support Trident, so the SNP would be clear to vote against that.

I know there's another thread on it but you haven't covered a Tory/Labour coalition. In any other election that would have been so absurd a notion your refusal to acknowledge would have been correct but if London's elite genuinely believe that any SNP involvement in Government, either overtly or covertly, could lead to the break-up of the Union it may be a desperate last stand. More so that if they also believe that the SNP/Plaid/Green coalition will start the English regions believing that they are due a bigger share of the London pie.

You could see a 'grand coalition' happening on certain issues, like Trident, and I suppose any attempt by the SNP to put another referendum through would result in something similar. I can't see it happening in any formal way though - despite Labour and the Tories being similar in terms of policy - unless this multi-party system becomes more entrenched, with more votes going to smaller parties/away from the two largest parties over future parliaments.

I know the Fixed-Term Parliament Act only allows for another General Election if two-thirds vote for it or if there's an unanswered vote of no confidence, but I wonder if the two main parties might get sick of the Act after weeks of wrangling trying to put governments together, etc and vote together to repeal the Act itself to get back to more 'normal' politics?

If the results reflect the polls, it doesn't matter how ineptly Miliband denies it: Labour will have to deal with the SNP.

And ignore the comments about how little bargaining power the SNP will have outside a coalition. They'll have a fantastic position, free to take credit for helping push through progressive policies, yet allowed to vote against the things they're against: Trident and Austerity.

And this is the critical point: to get Trident and cuts through, Labour will have to rely on Tory votes. That'll play well next year!

I don't think Labour knows what it's getting itself into.

^ My hunch is that there will be lots of tactical voting next week and lots of surprising results. There will be more former MPs looking for new jobs.

The Lib Dem and UKIP votes should get squeezed on polling day as voters decide on who they want to form a government. UKIP, however, should win at least two or three seats more, probably at Labour's expense. Scottish Tories will vote tactically to keep out the SNP.

The Lib Dems will lose more seats as Labour supporters (who previously voted tactically for them in large numbers) will punish them for joining the Coalition. Even a few Lib Dems with large majorities, e.g. Vince Cable and Ed Davey, are worried about losing their seats to the Tories who have defeated them in their constituencies' council elections.

Under 50%. Must be taking our eye off of the ball. Just the 23 point then and four days and 9 hours until polling stations open.

Time is running out for the Murphy Bounce to take effect

Great poll. You gov never that kind to SNP. Support holding very nicely.

Wipeout time

For it to be "wipeout time"the other parties would need to be on zero would they not or am i just being stupid again ?

For it to be "wipeout time"the other parties would need to be on zero would they not or am i just being stupid again ?

Yeah you're just being stupid again. HTH.

Very encouraging poll at this stage. Looking forward to seeing the tabs when they're available.

Yeah you're just being stupid again. HTH.Very encouraging poll at this stage. Looking forward to seeing the tabs when they're available.

Like i said the other day on here its hardly breaking news that the snp are polling this high,they have been at this leval for some time and it wont change over the next few days.

Latest Scottish Westminster poll (YouGov):

SNP - 49% (-)

LAB - 26% (+1)

CON - 17% (-2)

LDEM - 7% (+2)

UKIP - 2% (-1)

GRN - 1% (-)

That's not the figures UK Polling report are quoting. Labour 25%, LibDems 5%

Archived