Retiring from football

So i am "retiring from football" at the end of this current season, I play football at a decent (amatuer) level and i am just wondering how people felt about doing this when it happened to them.

I am only 30, fit(ish) and healthy but i am doing this to spend more time with my wife and kids as due to work and football we only get 2 full days a month together as a family, but i am finding the thought of not playing again hard to deal with, i have said to my wife i will do this but i dont think she realies that really you only have a limited time to play at a decent level and when its gone its gone. I just dont want it niggling at the back of my head when it is too late.

I thought it would be easy enough as i have been succesful enough at this level, but im not sure how i honestly feel about it.

Any experiences on the same subject?

I retired in primary 7 after the annual David Tait tournament in dollar. In all seriousness my old dad played amateur well into his late thirties and seriously regrets it. After 2 football related operations due to and having serious ankle surgery he says it wasn't worth it. He even says playing fives Isn't worth it unless you're a professional making decent money, quit while your young.

So i am "retiring from football" at the end of this current season, I play football at a decent (amatuer) level and i am just wondering how people felt about doing this when it happened to them.

I am only 30, fit(ish) and healthy but i am doing this to spend more time with my wife and kids as due to work and football we only get 2 full days a month together as a family, but i am finding the thought of not playing again hard to deal with, i have said to my wife i will do this but i dont think she realies that really you only have a limited time to play at a decent level and when its gone its gone. I just dont want it niggling at the back of my head when it is too late.

I thought it would be easy enough as i have been succesful enough at this level, but im not sure how i honestly feel about it.

Any experiences on the same subject?

Not fancying Refereeing? Still young enough to have a good career especially having played at the level you have.

Best decision I ever made. Plus you can early some wedge in the amateurs these days.

Massive decision and 30 is young IMO. I played until 36 and gave it up because I'm ashamed to say I lost the fight for it. I stopped dreaming about scoring a goal the night before and looked for reasons not to play. What if I break my leg? I'm too old for this! Am I fit enough? Not really the head you should have on so I knew it was time to go.

Soon as I chucked it I suppose it's like giving up fags you want just one more game.

My advice is make sure you're finished and don't give it up for anyone else because it's part of who you are(deeper than I intended to go. Surprised myself there)

'Retiring' from amateur football :lol:

I used to retire every couple of weeks from amateur football when Arbroath had a game I really wanted to watch :lol:

Wee 'Sorry can't make it today erm my knees sore' phone call before a wee jog down the pub for a pint before the football :lol:

I'm 22 and not playing just now, fully intend to again at some point, most likely after I get myself into a flat, although it's more for the smokers and getting pished part than the football

"Retired" when I left school 5 years ago.

Did used to still play kick about with some of the people I was friends with, but over the years we've all drifted away from each other

Still play amateur the now after getting back into after giving up at 18, I'd keep playing for as long as you can thouhh my old man sacked it in his late 20s for similar reasons to you but said he never stopped missing the banter or the feeling after a big win.

I'm 46 this year and still playing 5s and 11s , gave it up for a year round about 40 and regretted it. Play in an over 35s game on a Sunday evening after getting involved with the Football Fans In Training scheme with Queens Park. Play as long as you can , would be my advice.

Archived