Personal football injuries.

I can give you advice from personal experience.

I was playing at a decent level when I was younger, couple of boys I know are playing in the SPL and championship now. I took an bad tackle when I was 15, tried to spin the defender and stretched to reach the ball, planting my leg in the ground. I tore my PCL and shattered my knee cap.

I was out for a full year, and in truth I rushed my recovery/rehab after surgery to try and get back to playing. I think my full time between injury and playing again was 14 month. 4 games back, I went round the keeper and stretched again in the same way as I had the first time and it went again.

I then had to go through the process again, same surgeon - different procedure. If defiantly say make sure you do as much weight work and rehab (being able to full single leg squat is a good indication of full rehab) before you consider playing again.

There will be some tough, tough months ahead. I'm not ashamed to say I cried numerous times during my first rehab phase. It was mentally far harder than j imagined not being able to play/train. If you ever want to talk about it or anything feel free to drop me a DM.

All the best with you're rehab. It's a brutal, brutal injury and I can feel every pain you're feeling right now. All the best.

Ah thanks man, hope your alright! Yeah the pain on the pitch is something I cant describe other than unbearable. Couldnt move and the pain was so intense it was horrific, plus the fact I seen the state of my knee then refused to look down again.

I certainly will do ill PM you just now and my progress. Im gutted just now, not just the fitness/ football side but the fact im 23 and already for the rest of my life im going to need to specifically look after my knee, the thought of not been able to walk properly when im 40+ is frightening.

I cant even blame it on a bad tackle as it was a total freak accident which Ive done thousands of times before and never even had a flinch.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got bad cramp during a game once, none of you will never have experienced pain like it!

Other than those who have also had a really severe cramp in the calf muscle at the end of a game? Playing central midfied during Canadian summers was a good way to get dehydrated, so been there done that and you kind of lie there wondering if it is actually ever going to end. Weirdest injury I've had was colliding with the goalkeeper when defending an inswinging corner and flying face first into the goal post. Broken nose and out cold for a bit, and never got it fixed afterwards so look a bit like a former boxer.

I tore my cruciate ligament a decade ago and cracked my kneecap at the same time. I've also strained various muscles and twisted or sprained both ankles at various times. I no longer play football because I'm a fucking calamity.

Ah thanks man, hope your alright! Yeah the pain on the pitch is something I cant describe other than unbearable. Couldnt move and the pain was so intense it was horrific, plus the fact I seen the state of my knee then refused to look down again.

I certainly will do ill PM you just now and my progress. Im gutted just now, not just the fitness/ football side but the fact im 23 and already for the rest of my life im going to need to specifically look after my knee, the thought of not been able to walk properly when im 40+ is frightening.

I cant even blame it on a bad tackle as it was a total freak accident which Ive done thousands of times before and never even had a flinch.

You'll be able to walk fine, just have to be careful running, twisting and turning especially. The worst injuries always happen through wee innocuous things though never tackles, the worst from a tackle will be a break which isn't actually that big a deal.

If you want to play again its best to build up the surrounding muscles to support the area, though not so much you put additional strain on it. But walking etc will be fine don't worry about that.

You'll be able to walk fine, just have to be careful running, twisting and turning especially. The worst injuries always happen through wee innocuous things though never tackles, the worst from a tackle will be a break which isn't actually that big a deal.

If you want to play again its best to build up the surrounding muscles to support the area, though not so much you put additional strain on it. But walking etc will be fine don't worry about that.

Yeah hopefully. I really dont think ill play again, the thought of even gping through that pain again isnt even worth comprehending.

Gonna concentrate on my recovery, make my knee stronger than ever then take it easy.

Got done when i spun a defender. Id went one way with the ball but he kicked my leg which was planted and did my medial ligament in the knee. Had me out for a lengthy spell and didnt feel right for years. Cost me the chance to go professional at the time as i wasnt the same when i returned

Fractured my shin, broke my arm, pulled my hamstring, pulled my thigh, broken a couple of toes, fucked the ligaments in my left ankle and was KO'd for a few seconds after a guy charged into me as I was up for a header and landed on my head. (Not all the one incident btw)

Fractured my shin, broke my arm, pulled my hamstring, pulled my thigh, broken a couple of toes, fucked the ligaments in my left ankle and was KO'd for a few seconds after a guy charged into me as I was up for a header and landed on my head. (Not all the one incident btw)

Fuxake man, you would have been better off being on board Flight 4U 9525

The shin one has got to hurt. Anytime you accidentally tap your shin against something it's fucking agony so a fracture must be brutal.

Yeah hopefully. I really dont think ill play again, the thought of even gping through that pain again isnt even worth comprehending.

Gonna concentrate on my recovery, make my knee stronger than ever then take it easy.

Probably best, it will be fine for everything normal just stuff like football there's always a chance it goes again.

The shin one has got to hurt. Anytime you accidentally tap your shin against something it's fucking agony so a fracture must be brutal.

It was, it was during a game of fives as well, so no shin guards. And even now it's really sensitive and the slightest tap will cause pain and a bruise.

Dislocated my kneecap by hitting it off a boys head, spent 6 weeks in a cast for it, from ankle to baws basically and it was brutal, trying to shit with one straight leg is pretty awkward. Anyway do not rush back, i was lucky i was back playing propely after about 7 months, dont rush it, rest and listen to the physios, and watch what you eat, very easy to pile on the pounds with a knee injury.

oh and swimming and cycling are the best for getting leg strength back after, i found anyway.

I broke my collar bone playing 5s last year in a total freak accident. Running full pelt without the ball, the player with the ball beside me was tackled which touched the ball into my path causing me to step on it and go arse over tit. I landed on my shoulder with a pretty sickening crack. No pain initially but it was fairly obvious what I'd done as the broken bone was almost pushing through the skin.

I was told I'd be off work for 8-10 weeks which would have been a disaster, but either luckily or unluckily I had 2 weeks holiday booked off anyway, and against instruction I rushed myself back after 4 weeks.

Non football related but as words of encouragement to the OP - I know it will be impossible to think of yourself playing again at the moment but don't give up yet, the body is a pretty amazing thing. I was in a motorbike accident when I was 20 and suffered a broken femur and compound fractures to my tibia and fibula, aswell as a torn achilles tendon and various other ruptures in my foot. The medical opinion at the time given to insurers etc was that I was unlikely to participate in field sports again, and over the course of my rehab I'm not ashamed to say I shed tears on more than one occasion at the thought of being a young man with limited physical abilities.

Long story short, I was back playing fives after about 18 months and as I got stronger I started playing 11s again. I'm 35 now and my leg is full of metal from hip to ankle, still no ill effects and I try to play twice a week still, work permitting. It definitely paid off following the physio's instructions to the letter, it was pretty brutal what I got put through but it has clearly been worth it. At the end of the day it's not just for the immediate recovery, it will serve you well later in life too.

All the best.

Cheers guys appreciate all the support. Woke up this morning now and can't sleep atall, not comfy, sore and cant move atall so lying on couch till the girlfriend awakes so I can move again. Im so independent yet I feel totally useless now. Its crazy how a small freak collision can potentially change your life, the next year is certainly going to be a phycological and physical roller coaster.

The guy who gave me the kick was up at my house with an apology and brought me a case of beer and some munchies so fair play. Not his fault but he felt awful, especially because the state I was in shouting and screaming on the grass.

Really appreciate it guys, thought id get some arsehole who would come on here trying to be funny but thanks again

UHYUb*****d

I was pretty lucky only ankle ligaments which inevitably got done again because they get weak

Running onto a great ball I'm put clean through keepers coming toward me but I've got the pace to get there before him I try to just gently toe poke it to the side of him then remember that I'm not at Hampden im at Dalry and the keeper clears my ankle like it's the ball. Took my boot off and watched it inflate. You've got a bit of a walk back to the dressing room at Dalry. Had to go to the verve gig at barras that night in crutches.

Ive only ever snapped my ankle ligaments and torn my hamstring, which wasnt cool, the whole back of my leg was black because i kept playing with it. Tore my groin as well coming to think of it.

Look like a bloody tit lol

Add a laptop with Football Manager on it into that photo and youll be fine.

Thankfully never injured myself when running Field Gun or playing Rugby. Have saw a few horrors though. Our firing number chopped one of fingers off during practice in 2009 and his replacement fell under the gun on the run home and broke his leg and his hip was fucked as well. Had a close call myself. Ran out to the gun doing a practice lift and one of the wheel numbers shouted on but the other wheel number double stabbed and didn't get his wheel on. Me and the other heavy end dropped the gun but I fall to the ground due to the wheel on my side not being on and the gun is tilted onto that axle. Thank f**k the other wheel was on as I don't think having 750kg(iirc) drop on top of you is healthy.

Archived