Audio Books vs Reading

Book Debate  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The age old question, since 1997 at least.

I find I get through more audio books than physical ones. I don't have the time to sit down and read for 3-4 hours during the day. Listening to an audio book while walking, commuting etc. is just more convenient for me.

Which do you prefer?

I've never listened to an audio book since being a toddler, but I'd much rather that than reading a book. Books are just annoying, especially as the pages usually don't open out fully like a magazine. Never felt the love, a bit like Darren Mackie here:

Untitled-1-copy1-500x564.jpg

Much prefer proper books. I prefer them to on a Kindle too, but the Kindle is great for being out and about and convenience.

I don't get through a lot of books this way, but I just don't like listening to them. I'd zone out far more often.

I read normal books and listen to audiobooks pretty regularly. I like listening to books going to sleep, been working through Andrew Marr's History of the World for about six months, keep falling asleep and having to rewind.

Can't beat a good book.

Real book > ebook > audio book

e books are ok, I have one and it's convenient fro transporting lots of books, buying books quickly and easily and reading in low light. Can't beat a ream tome though!

One thing that I have found for my boy who struggled with reading. Audio books have helped him enjoy a good story and help his vocabulary. He has improved no end and his verbal stories are amazing.

I haven't tried them myself but for my son they have helped loads.

One thing though it's impossible to compete with Mr Fry now.

Reading a real book is the best way, in my opinion. I don't absorb audio books at all, though the only ones I've listened to are read by Stephen Fry (his own biography and the Harry Potter series) and he just has one of those voices that I can listen to for hours but is so relaxing that I don't really take anything in. I've not listened to one in years, and then it was only on the train or going to bed.

I wish I read more but I already read a lot more than most people.

I've never listened to an audio book, I do listen to a lot of podcasts and Radio 4 stuff though, so I understand the appeal of just listening to another voice.

However I don't think you would be really immersed in the story in the same way as you are with reading. I was reading something the other day, one of E. T. A. Hoffmann's weirdo short stories, and I was so immersed I was mentally 'in the world of the story' before I came out of it and realised I was actually in the Trongate McDonalds. Which was disappointing. Since audio books require less concentration and imagination I doubt they have quite the same effect.

eBooks I just don't understand the appeal of outside of students, who might need access to a lot of books over the course of a day. I know there were days when I was a uni where I had a Sherpa style backpack full of books I needed. eBooks in those circumstances would be convenient but in everyday normal life why not keep a paperback in your bag?

eBooks I just don't understand the appeal of outside of students, who might need access to a lot of books over the course of a day. I know there were days when I was a uni where I had a Sherpa style backpack full of books I needed. eBooks in those circumstances would be convenient but in everyday normal life why not keep a paperback in your bag?

But you can carry thousands of books with you on an ereader. When one book is finished you can go straight onto any other rather than having no second book or one that you 're not in the mood for at that time. Particularly useful if away from home for any reason. I have Kindle Fire which also means I can access the internet if somewhere with wi-fi and there is no charge for data download as with mobile phone. Only drawback is risk of running out of charge.

Archived