Cumnock v Talbot

HUVNAE A SCOOBY

Cumnock goalie 0 Talbot 1 I played junior football in the 70's and believe me the majority of the Cumnock players wouldn't have got a game then in a Sunday Pub League then, never mind play in the juniors. Absolute disgrace for what is still a big name in the junior game. Can't control the ball, can't pass the ball, can't tackle. No passion, no fight, no tactics, no motivation on or of the park. The majority of the players need to take a good hard look at themselves. A complete embarrassment . And before anyone comes on trying to defend the players and saying that I am talking rubbish , I have seen 95% of the games this season . My opinion will not change.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cumnock goalie 0 Talbot 1 I played junior football in the 70's and believe me the majority of the Cumnock players wouldn't have got a game then in a Sunday Pub League then, never mind play in the juniors. Absolute disgrace for what is still a big name in the junior game. Can't control the ball, can't pass the ball, can't tackle. No passion, no fight, no tactics, no motivation on or of the park. The majority of the players need to take a good hard look at themselves. A complete embarrassment . And before anyone comes on trying to defend the players and saying that I am talking rubbish , I have seen 95% of the games this season . My opinion will not change.

You shouldnt have talked him out of resigning for the Glens then Cameron by the way Allys going to Troon.

Don't think you will get many disagreeing with you, if or when we drop down its the likes of Semple that we'll probably lose. If by a miracle we stay up we would need one hell of a marketing rep to retain our best players for the next season.

My thoughts on the game. This Derby is a total shadow of itself now. In truth Talbot played the game like a practice match, they were so far ahead in every department it was quite astonishing how the game ended only 0-1. Decent enough crowd but just another game for the majority now as the result was never really in doubt therefore atmosphere totally flat. Cumnock ironically played much better in the games earlier in the season but got thumped. Yesterday they showed nothing except they have a very good goalkeeper with a very dodgy temperament. On that performance they will go down and deserve to. It is a shame that circumstance has rendered this game to be void of anything, no passion and Cumnock seem to have accepted their lot.

Can only say that the standard of these games seem to be in line with the god awful patter on these threads.

From trampoline thieves to all the rest of the massive yawn material its all a massive cringe to be honest and well past its sell by date ..........

Just a bit like the fixture.......

When the pressure is on,the first thing to escape from the relief valve is luck,closely followed by belief. As early as the first five minutes Cumnock players,bench and fans were seemingly apoplectic when decisions about insignificant throw-ins were going against them,it's tough at the top,and obviously terribly tough at the bottom. Cumnock,and the pitch,conspired well to deny Talbot as many opportunities of playing football as possible. Their goalkeeper showed more belief and intent than all of his team mates combined,and while some may accuse the Talbot strike force of being profligate in front of goal,Semple had at least four top saves v Shankland,two v Gormley,and the same v Hyslop and Milliken. Astonishingly,Cumnock could have stolen a point from the couple of chances they did create from their route one deliveries,and had luck been on their side Gordon Pope's goal line clearance near the end of the match might have been to save a point for his team instead of taking all three. With the pitch as it was Talbot should take great credit for some of the football that was on display,and the flicks,tricks,feints and back heels were joyful. Credit must also go to Talbot for the graft and craft involved in winning back the ball,and pressing continually. Much has been said,and written,about this fixture having lost it's lustre,but for me the only thing that was missing was another three or four hundred Cumnock supporters,that would change everything. Some of the older Talbot support may notice similarities in the playing style between Mark Shankland and Jimmy McMillan.

Dodgy temperament!!! An where does this come from?? Prob better keeper than your own btw

. To be perfectly fair to Andy Lieshman,the fact that Semple is by far the busier of the two keepers in his games with Cumnock might make him look better than Lieshman,who can be a virtual spectator for huge periods of a game,sometimes several games on the spin,and then pull off truly awesome saves when called into action,don't be misled into believing that the Talbot man is anything other than a first class 'keeper. Semple is good enough to be loved enough to hate at more than a few grounds I would think,and can show his frustrations openly when things are not going his way,and seems to thrive on antagonising away supporters at every opportunity,which again to be fair was curtailed to urging his own team on to better things on Saturday,except for throwing his knee and boot high while taking an easy high ball under no real pressure from Gormley,cue derision from the Talbot hordes. I think it fairly obvious even from the posts on this thread alone as to how highly thought of the Cumnock goalie's ability is held among most fans,but if it came down to a straight choice as to who I would rather have between the sticks at Beechwood it would be Andy Lieshman,solid dependable and very very committed.

Big Leishman made the best save I have ever seen from a junior goalie against Petershill the other week. He was coming across his goal and Michael Daly put a header back across him from point blank range. He somehow got his hand up and kept it out, then saved again right after it. Also the fact he's a man mountain gives him the edge on most keepers.

Making saves as a goalie is the easy part there is so much more to being a good goalkeeper than sticking a hand or a leg out to stop the ball hitting the net. Anyone who has ever played the position will understand what I mean when saying this. ;)

The game on Saturday was a poor advert for this fixture and that was mainly down to a lack of pressure from Cumnock

However, as the game progressed and Talbot were continually pressing forward , I can agree with some of the posters on here who said that the Talbot forwards were a bit wasteful. I think the Training exercise thing that someone said was actually quite valid.

In the second half Gormley , in particular, was firing shots in from way out wide when a more measured approach could and probably would have produced more goals.

The score flattered us as the more dangerous play and level of pressure was mostly Talbot's

The best team won without a doubt and I have no complaints , but, I still want to see Talbot, Glens and Cumnock in this league as we already get a raw deal from the fixtures man and the West region and a strong East Ayrshire presence is of benefit to all three and the other local clubs as well

Archived