When did you give up on Labour?

Scary Bear

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's right. All politicians are the same. The politicians in Switzerland are the same as the politicians in Iraq. That is why they behave in exactly the same way and make exactly the same decisions leading to all countries and societies being exactly the same.

It's always No voting Labour drone types who come out with this bollocks. And I always ask the same question. If they're all the same, why not just vote Yes then? At least that way you've got a little more control over them and can potentially vote them out if they don't behave in a manner you approve of. Pathetic, servile, self - loathing brit nats who don't want their politicians to be accountable. They're all the same!

Well said. The transformation from Cool Britannia to BritNat seeth has been a joy to watch.

For those who have voted for them in the past, when did you decide you could never vote for them again?

For me, it was during the referendum campaign, when they backed the Tories with talk of border guards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-ed-miliband-raises-prospect-of-guards-along-the-border-if-scotland-votes-yes-9716639.html

That really pissed me off.

Thread needs a poll.

Backed them in the 1997 "things can only get better" campaign and even campaigned locally in the Monklands East (now Airdrie & Shotts) consituency.

However in 1999 after the YES YES campaign, I realized that the SNP were closer to where I stood, the Blairite/New Labour/Diet Tory party had drifted too far away for me. I woke up that Scotlands future would be better being served by sensible politics run from Edinburgh as opposed to London where we were only 9% of the equasion.

Thanks for posting that.

I will celebrate like Thistle have won the Champions League if this c**t is correctly turfed out on his arse. An absolute scumbag.

The council gave him a free pass to plaster Labour propaganda all over the civic centre. Despite telling the YES campaign that they couldn't leave one sign outside the building during the referendum as they didn't want to seem "impartial".http://eksnp.scot/2015/04/07/he-just-doesnt-get-it-mccann-digs-in-on-postergate/sx2l44.jpg

Thanks for posting that.

I will celebrate like Thistle have won the Champions League if this c**t is correctly turfed out on his arse. An absolute scumbag.

I'll do my best. He is a bigoted man that opposes Same-Sex marriage and euthanasia etc. He's was deputy leader of SLC before being granted the previously safe seat at Adam Inghram's retirement in 2010, he accordingly votes for cuts etc. Thankfully I will never forgot that moment when EK was trending worldwide in 2011 after we turfed out Andy Kerr for Linda Fabiani. Pretty sure EK, but not South Lanarkshire, voted yes last year.

I would like to say something about sticking by Labour after the Iraq war etc.

Before the referendum, the Labour party always appeared to be a party with dunces for leaders, but a party which was open to all (at least all on the left anyway). There was always this idea that if you didn't like something the party was doing, that you could fight for the party from the inside to try and change it. Away from the status of Scotland, that may well still be the case.

However, the referendum has completely shattered my faith in the Labour party. Not just the leadership, but the entire party. The things I have seen from Labour supporters could be put down to some bad apples if the example hadn't been set by the awful behaviour of the leadership itself, not in having a Unionist stance but in the way it went about it.

I have seen decent, Labour people banned and blocked from facebook groups all for daring to stand up to claims of the SNP being the Scottish BNP, etc (including myself). It doesn't matter if you're not SNP, it doesn't matter if you're Labour, it doesn't matter how even handed you are or what you think of the SNP. If you're not a Unionist, you are scum, you are to be shunned, vilified, and ostracised like a leper. By contrast, I have torn into SNP members of pro-independence groups (including admin) for tarring all Labour members with the same brush with not so much as a word in my ear. The difference in class is reflective of the difference in class between the leaderships of the 2 parties. Even since the referendum, the SNP have been handing out olive branch after olive branch to the Labour party but all Labour can do is have the attitude of "anyone - including the Tories - but the SNP". You would think the party were founded by the Trade Unions primarily to keep Scotland in the UK.

If you can't even fight for the Labour movement outside the party, how the hell can you fight for the party itself from within? You can't.

I am from a Labour family, I have handed out leaflets, attended fundraisers, and stuffed envelopes on holiday on Easter Sunday. But because I just happen to not be a Unionist, I am scum.

How can I vote for a party which thinks I'm scum?

My gran who was a die-hard Labour voter and die-hard unionist is now wavering because she likes Nicola Sturgeon and can't stand Jim Murphy. Dire times for Labour when folk like her start to turn.

8)

I hope you give her a little shove.

Metaphorically of course. :o

I would like to say something about sticking by Labour after the Iraq war etc.

Before the referendum, the Labour party always appeared to be a party with dunces for leaders, but a party which was open to all (at least all on the left anyway). There was always this idea that if you didn't like something the party was doing, that you could fight for the party from the inside to try and change it. Away from the status of Scotland, that may well still be the case.

However, the referendum has completely shattered my faith in the Labour party. Not just the leadership, but the entire party. The things I have seen from Labour supporters could be put down to some bad apples if the example hadn't been set by the awful behaviour of the leadership itself, not in having a Unionist stance but in the way it went about it.

I have seen decent, Labour people banned and blocked from facebook groups all for daring to stand up to claims of the SNP being the Scottish BNP, etc (including myself). It doesn't matter if you're not SNP, it doesn't matter if you're Labour, it doesn't matter how even handed you are or what you think of the SNP. If you're not a Unionist, you are scum, you are to be shunned, vilified, and ostracised like a leper. By contrast, I have torn into SNP members of pro-independence groups (including admin) for tarring all Labour members with the same brush with not so much as a word in my ear. The difference in class is reflective of the difference in class between the leaderships of the 2 parties. Even since the referendum, the SNP have been handing out olive branch after olive branch to the Labour party but all Labour can do is have the attitude of "anyone - including the Tories - but the SNP". You would think the party were founded by the Trade Unions primarily to keep Scotland in the UK.

If you can't even fight for the Labour movement outside the party, how the hell can you fight for the party itself from within? You can't.

I am from a Labour family, I have handed out leaflets, attended fundraisers, and stuffed envelopes on holiday on Easter Sunday. But because I just happen to not be a Unionist, I am scum.

How can I vote for a party which thinks I'm scum?

Good point well made. I even gave you a greeny for it. To me the only way ahead for labour is to take the annihilation on may 7th and rebuild from the ground up. There will be a place for them, as well as the Tories and greens and SSP in a 'new' Scotland, as it only seems to be a matter of time until the inevitable happens, by the voice of the people or by the hand of westminster

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have voted for them in the past, when did you decide you could never vote for them again?

For me, it was during the referendum campaign, when they backed the Tories with talk of border guards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-ed-miliband-raises-prospect-of-guards-along-the-border-if-scotland-votes-yes-9716639.html

That really pissed me off.

... Only having Project Fear to call on when the chips are down.

Scaring old people into voting for them. What a party.

Not that I like to be positive about Labour, but predictions of their demise are overblown. Rebuilding Labour in Scotland would an easy two-step process - if they had the guts. They first need to split from Westminster Labour to allow them to take back left-leaning policies re austerity and at the same time curtail the SNP’s growing position as representing Scotland.

If they went even further and took a neutral stance on the constitution– instead promoting whatever’s best for Scotland – they’d romp the next Scottish elections.

Not that I like to be positive about Labour, but predictions of their demise are overblown. Rebuilding Labour in Scotland would an easy two-step process - if they had the guts. They first need to split from Westminster Labour to allow them to take back left-leaning policies re austerity and at the same time curtail the SNP’s growing position as representing Scotland.

If they went even further and took a neutral stance on the constitution– instead promoting whatever’s best for Scotland – they’d romp the next Scottish elections.

They'd also need to find some politicians who don't come across as either second hand car salesmen or bumbling incompetents.

A neutral stance wouldn't do. The majority want change, so they'd have to come up with some plans to make that change work. Just as the SNP will have to do if they get their way.

Not that I like to be positive about Labour, but predictions of their demise are overblown.

Are they? It's quite obvious that the party is an absolute shadow of what it was even ten years ago: its astonishing hubris in not putting its heavy hitters on the lists as backup in 2011 decapitated it, and its membership has faded rapidly. Unless something truly astonishing happens in the next two weeks, it'll be annihilated at the WM level, which leaves only the councils - and let's be quite clear on this, they're going to go the same way soon enough. The party will shortly be literally extinct in Scotland.

I was a member of the labour party - branch and CLP. I attended their conference in Inverness back in 2001. I campaigned in the 2001 election, chapping doors and so on. Out and out Labour man.

Then I moved to Wales. I had to give up the local party activism but kept my membership...until 2003. I intended to get active in my new home in Wales but then Iraq came along and I decided not to bother. Didn't renew the membership and didn't vote for them again. That was the clincher for me - even 12 years on I cannot forgive them. They willingly invaded a country for no good reason. Killed countless innocents. Why? To keep Bush happy?

Archived