When did you give up on Labour?

Scary Bear

. I actually feel slightly sorry for people like Dugdale in that I do think she has joined the labour party with the right intentions.

The story is that she went for selection for the SNP up in Aberdeen but was rejected. So she joined labour instead

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The term is carpetbagger I believe.

Remember her old man is fairly active in the party as well and she has said she wants to get out by the age of 40 iirc. Sounds like she is riding it for all its worth.

Slightly off topic but she's actually taller than you think

Have never voted for Labour + never will.

They burnt that bridge before I was of age to vote by their actions in putting profit (or in SLC terms, surplus) before the views of their constituents by voting to close Earnock High when I was there.

None of their actions locally or nationally have done anything for my stance against them, if anything I abhor them even more.

Can't wait to see them routed in May + in next year's Holyrood election.

Amazes me they are in hunt at all after 97-10. They have a student politician as leader, an ideologue the unions forced on the party, and nobody of any political or intellectual weight in their ranks. I was sympathetic to Brown as a fellow Scot in 2010, didn't vote for him though. Have never voted Labour.

Seeing Kinnock's celebration rally in Sheffield the night before the 1992 election.

The last time that I voted Labour.

I realised then that the Scottish people were trapped in their own country being governed by people they didn't vote for. Blair was just a Tory with a red tie.

New Labour.

Labour died when John Smith did. They're just the Tories but with the added ability to bankrupt the country.

John Smith has become more and more left wing since he died!

I think Kinnock started the whole slide to the right - and Smith was doing nothing radical. I think he had a common touch but then so did Blair in many ways.

I voted Labour in 2001 to keep the Tories out of Ayr (my first voting experience) and may have done the same in 2005 - but by that point was very much doing it whilst holding my nose.

My faither is a communist who used to do a bit of leafleting for Labour and so I went along and helped him in both 1992 and 1997. I remember the devastation of the 92 loss, even though I was just 11. The 97 victory felt like a new dawn, despite the warnings of 'new' Labour from many in the know.

Needless to say I'll never vote for them again - unless there's a post-independence reformation. It would have to be some turnaround though.

John Smith has become more and more left wing since he died!

I think Kinnock started the whole slide to the right - and Smith was doing nothing radical. I think he had a common touch but then so did Blair in many ways.

I voted Labour in 2001 to keep the Tories out of Ayr (my first voting experience) and may have done the same in 2005 - but by that point was very much doing it whilst holding my nose.

My faither is a communist who used to do a bit of leafleting for Labour and so I went along and helped him in both 1992 and 1997. I remember the devastation of the 92 loss, even though I was just 11. The 97 victory felt like a new dawn, despite the warnings of 'new' Labour from many in the know.

Needless to say I'll never vote for them again - unless there's a post-independence reformation. It would have to be some turnaround though.

This is true! I always thought he was pretty right wing and once got pelters for saying it at a high profile Labour event in Dundee. Also had a long one-on-one chat with him and remember him squirming when I mentioned Clause 4.

That said he was a more honest guy by far than his successor and probably would have balked at some of New Labour's antics.

I used to vote Labour but the Blair era largely finished it for me, ushering in the new politics where all the parties are clustered in the middle ground vying for the votes of the Daily Mail readership. The few weeks prior to the referendum extinguished any leanings toward Labour I might have retained when it was patently obvious how far they'd moved away from their roots; one and all they'd become Westminster careerists like the others. Post referendum, the way they've assumed they're almost entitled to Scottish votes regardless of what they do has just added fuel to the fire.

In my book if you get in bed with the devil you deserve to be treated like the devil. If Labour come to my door over the next few weeks they'll be getting told to take a f**k to themselves the same way the Tories have been getting told for years.

I used to vote Labour but the Blair era largely finished it for me, ushering in the new politics where all the parties are clustered in the middle ground vying for the votes of the Daily Mail readership. The few weeks prior to the referendum extinguished any leanings toward Labour I might have retained when it was patently obvious how far they'd moved away from their roots; one and all they'd become Westminster careerists like the others. Post referendum, the way they've assumed they're almost entitled to Scottish votes regardless of what they do has just added fuel to the fire.

In my book if you get in bed with the devil you deserve to be treated like the devil. If Labour come to my door over the next few weeks they'll be getting told to take a f**k to themselves the same way the Tories have been getting told for years.

There is a reason why all mainstream politicians sound the same, and that's mainly due to the setup of the current political system. It's mainly because politicians know there is certain people who will always/never vote for them.

I left the party after Ed became leader but rejoined a couple of years later. I'm not entirely happy with the leftist turn the party have taken under him, but I'm still closer to Labour politically than anyone else. Scottish labour voting for Murphy over Findlay has restored a lot of my faith in the party.

I left the party after Ed became leader but rejoined a couple of years later. I'm not entirely happy with the leftist turn the party have taken under him, but I'm still closer to Labour politically than anyone else. Scottish labour voting for Murphy over Findlay has restored a lot of my faith in the party.

And that sums you up.

Can I ask a quetion? Would you have voted for Labour before New Labour? Obviously you weren't old enough but if you were

Like I told Labour drones at the time. Electing Murphy over Findlay was the best thing that could happen to the SNP. He's been hilariously worse than I thought he would be. Happy days :)

And that sums you up.

Can I ask a quetion? Would you have voted for Labour before New Labour? Obviously you weren't old enough but if you were

Obviously impossible to know without having lived through it, but I think I would have probably voted Labour in 92 and 87, as although I don't agree with them on a lot, I am closer to them politically than the Tories and would vote for the biggest challengers.

Pre-Thatcher I believe political realities were different and would have probably voted Labour.

83 would be the difficult one for me. Reading the 83 manifesto I see some things I agree with and a lot I don't. I think I would probably have been closer to the SDP politically than Labour, however I would have the struggle between voting for a party which probably represent my views better, and the one with the better chance of stopping Thatcher.

I'm a pragmatist so I may well have voted Labour.

Really I don't know, but with different degrees of enthusiasm I probably, on balance, would have voted Labour in most pre-New Labour elections.

I'm very much a subscriber to the Third Way. I believe Tony Blair is a hero of the Labour Party and is someone I honestly feel lucky to have lived under him. Doesn't mean I agree with everything Tony did, but it's as close to my views as a government is ever going to get.

Archived