Whilst planning my trip back to Scotland this weekend, and planning which game I'd go to, I looked at the average attendances and wept. How can a league be competitive if busloads of punters leave towns- towns that have their own football clubs - to go and watch the Old Firm (are they still called that?)

I reckon each club needs to be given a catchment of local schools into which it can plug its youth teams, give fortnightly coaching classes (to those who are interested, for free), give these kids a game every weekend (even if it means setting up ten teams per age group) and give kids a sense of belonging and identity. That would be proper grass roots investment, instead of the bibs and cones certificated school holiday courses that are currently run for the middle classes.

As someone whose loyalty has been movable throughout the years, I'd have loved something like this. I've written more on my website on this topic at

http://www.eurofootballstadium.com/football-in-the-community-507

Have a swatch if you're interested.

Thanks

Whilst planning my trip back to Scotland this weekend, and planning which game I'd go to, I looked at the average attendances and wept. How can a league be competitive if busloads of punters leave towns- towns that have their own football clubs - to go and watch the Old Firm (are they still called that?)

I reckon each club needs to be given a catchment of local schools into which it can plug its youth teams, give fortnightly coaching classes (to those who are interested, for free), give these kids a game every weekend (even if it means setting up ten teams per age group) and give kids a sense of belonging and identity. That would be proper grass roots investment, instead of the bibs and cones certificated school holiday courses that are currently run for the middle classes.

As someone whose loyalty has been movable throughout the years, I'd have loved something like this. I've written more on my website on this topic at

http://www.eurofootballstadium.com/football-in-the-community-507

Have a swatch if you're interested.

Thanks

Nah yer awrite!

Scotland is definitely the only country in the world to have a few clubs that are much bigger than all the others.

The extent to which they are so much bigger is far greater though, at least statistically in terms of attendance and the percentage share they have. The proposed solution is not only applicable or relevant to Scotland - it's just that's where I was a kid and a football supporter to it is my easiest point of reference.

Archived