Time We All Took A Stand Against SKY

It's not really though. I find myself watching both, and I'd say you're equally likely to come up against a stinker in both. Seen some crackers from both sides of the border as well.

Don't see why Sky should give a f**k though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably more to do with the quality of the product than promotion to be fair.

I watch far more English football on TV than I do Scottish football, and it's nothing to do with it being promoted more. It's just better to watch.

I'd say the promotion of English football in Scotland has a great deal to do with it, plus the superior coverage it gets over our own domestic game.

You could argue they have a monopoly throughout the UK.

I just wish someone had the balls to challenge it. It's ridiculously unfair to our own clubs when you'll have more access to English League 2 than our own lower leagues.

The standard between the two leagues is incomparable. The difference in quality between the "stars" in the SPL and the stars in the EPL is as vast as the difference in quality between a michelen star restaurant and a microwave meal from farmfoods.

Scottish football is absolutely appalling, third rate, kiddy on insignificant crap.

I don't suppose it's much different to the situation in Northern Ireland - how much Irish League football is on Sky compared to SPFL action? They used to show the Linfield-Glentoran ties and the BBC show highlights and cup finals (IIRC?) but that's it AFAIA.

I suspect more Scots watch EPL than SPFL.

I don't suppose it's much different to the situation in Northern Ireland - how much Irish League football is on Sky compared to SPFL action? They used to show the Linfield-Glentoran ties and the BBC show highlights and cup finals (IIRC?) but that's it AFAIA.

When I was growing up (about 10 years ago) most of the kids at my school who liked football supported Rangers or Celtic, and a few like me supported either of the two local sides.

Now my brother is in a similar position, except most of the kids at his school support Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea with even less supporting Scottish sides.

The reason for this is that these kids would wake up on Sunday Morning watch MOTD and the FL show on BBC2 and watch the live stuff on Sky. When I was his age I remember watching ScotSport First

Incidentally none of the kids he asked had heard of Killie, Partick or Ross County; they all had heard of Derby, Brentford, Tranmere and Wigan.

Dont know what Dundee school your brother goes to but in my brothers there is a solid number of Dundee and United fans (about 10 each side) , a couple of OF , a Hearts and there is some who have an English second team ( Mostly Arsenal , Chelseas, Man U)

I watch more English footy than Scottish but their is a damn good reason.

Sky keep wanting to make me watch dross like Celtic V Ross C.

Last years champions at home to a team who narrowly avoided relegation.

In English terms it would be Chelsea v Sunderland at the Bridge.

They also seem to like showing St Johnstone v Aberdeen matches.

I've lost count of the number of times we have a decent game on up here but no TV coverage. They'd rather show us Celtic.

I even know a Celtic ST holder who told me he crosses his fingers that when a team comes to Parkhead they score 1st for some excitement.

How am I meant to be excited watching that when they're not bothered?

Boxing day should be an interesting 1 this year.

Usually sky ram English football down your throat with 4 games but this year their is no big game.

All the games look pish for once. Yet in Scotland we have Rangers v Hibs and Hearts V Celtic.

I know I said they show too much Celtic but a visit to an atmospheric (drunk) Tynie sounds TV gold to me.

Quite weird to think Scottish football may be centre stage, even if only for a day.

Good to see another example of why Scottish football is fucked and we get no cash for it.

Whilst everyone and their dug would rather have watched Dundee v Hearts this weekend, we got served the treat that was Celtic having a Sunday stroll in Maryhill.

We know we don't have the millionaire superstars of the English Premiership, but if Sky and BT at least show the games that Scottish football fans want to see we would have a product worth selling.

Probably doesn't help that they put it up against Arsenal v West Ham too.

BBC Scotland. Sportscene. 55 minutes to cover all top flight games in Scotland and a few championship games

BBC UK. MOTD 2, 70 minutes to cover 3 EPL games on a Sunday and show the goals from Saturday.

BBC UK. Football focus 45 minutes to discuss EPL.

Sums up the problem, that and our clubs are happy if not desperate to accept the pennies on offer from sky and BT to continue to be treated as 2nd rate

The SKY argument is huge but the fact that the BBC pays £60M a year to the Barclays Premiership and a mere £2M to Scottish football is another thing worth looking at. There may only be around 1/10th of the UK population North of the border but we're not seeing 1/10th of the money back to be invested in the SPFL.

The amount of money put into football at home and abroad is diabolical but I don't blame SKY, BT, ESPN or the BBC, sure they are part of the disease but not the cause in principal.

Since the advent of the Bosman Ruling the shift in power from club to player is what will eventually kill clubs off. The fact that there is far too much football on tv is also part of the problem but its that the money from the TV sponsorship flows virtually right through the clubs coffers into the sweaty palms of greedy agents and players where the problem lays. Of course it was too one sided towards clubs in the past (Eg Wee Jum with his 15 yr contracts at Dundee Utd) but the pendulum has now swung too far the other way with players (often mediocre ones at best) being paid a kings ransom every week.

Perhaps players should be made to pay a % of their wages back (as a tax) into development of the game in the country they are working in.

Ok, so maybe not ideal but something has to be done, perhaps the new FIFA top man will make some suggestions.

To be honest I want to get rid of my SKY as I rarely watch EPL football these days and am sick of paying for the EPL love in but working down south the only way to watch Scottish football is SKY and BT as you're not going to get the game on in the local pub so i'm stuck paying for the full sports package to watch the odd Scottish game. The problem with televised football is it's a ctach22 situation in Scotland we need the money from them no matter how poor the deal may be but the broadcasters will always show the game that gives them the maximim viewers Celtic/Rangers rather than the best game of the day (Cup matches are a prime example Kiliie v Ayr would not get shown over Celtic v Berwick) this leads to a massive imbalance in Scotland as Celtic and Rangers over the last 20 years have inevitably picked up most of the armchair fans as it's a no brainer for them if they support their local club they might be on TV 4 times a season, support Celtic/Rangers they are on every second week making the imbalnce get worse and the chances of improving our product less due to the lack of competion caused by the differences in finances.

Celtic/Rangers are now begining to suffer the same from this as the EPL is now picking up the armchair fans as it has the marketing machine behind it and it will continue to hit both for fan numbers as more and more children grow up watching Man U and Chelsea. The one thing that could redress the balance in my opinion is to have similar to the Norwegian TV deal where all games are televised this could level the playing field in getting armchair fans to support their local team but as long as we are reliant on SKY/BT money setting it up would be impossible and without our own national broadcaster we would never get it off the ground.

Celtic/Rangers are now begining to suffer the same from this as the EPL is now picking up the armchair fans as it has the marketing machine behind it and it will continue to hit both for fan numbers as more and more children grow up watching Man U and Chelsea

spot on, the kind of armchair fans who would have watched and supported the old firm 15 years ago are now not bothering with scotland at all

• 2 weeks later...

Archived