Time We All Took A Stand Against SKY

Hi there so not sure if there are other threads on here that are covering this Topic?

If so I will apologise in advance.

If not then I think it's high time all of us got together on this issue of the Finances coming into our game or as the case is the lack of finances coming in to Scottish Football on the whole.

Now whilst SKY are not the only reason for the poor deal we recently secured they could well be a big part of the cure should it transpire?

I say this because we are all acutely aware of the poor approach to bartering by our Powers at be who ahem run our game?

Going into a Financial Meeting decrying your product is sh##e and on the verge of disaster was hardly ever going to secure us top Dollar from the likes of SKY was it?

That shambles aside the people at SKY have severely undervalued our product.

There are a great many articles backing this up on the net a quick Google will verify this.

SKY left the table laughing their ar## off as far as I can tell..they must have because they take over £500m a year in Subscriptions out of Scotland.

That's £2bn in 4 years.

The EPL deal recently signed raised £5bn for them of that SKY pay the lions share of £4.167bn

Sky offered us £15m per year for 80 odd games

The EPL Deal works out at £10m per match which for the Financial Geniuses out there means 2 EPL games are now worth £5m more than the entire SPFL Deal for the Year.

Not only that our £2bn mentioned earlier pays for almost half of it.

In effect folks Scottish SKY Subscription are paying for the EPL Gravy boat to keep sailing.

We have a choice in Scotland as Football Fans we can either carry on taking this sh##e or we can collectively send SKY and BT indirectly a very strong message.

If we that is those among us who Subscribe to SKY cancel in Large Numbers suddenly there is a rather large spanner in the SKY works.

They are reliant on Subscription without them the Bubble bursts and if the bubble burst then we come to the table with a much stronger hand in future.

If we don't then expect more of the same or as I suspect a lot worse to come.

We cannot rely on the Suits at Hampden they are next to useless.

I no longer subscribe to SKY that changed a very long time ago I could see what was happening they have monopolised our game and in doing so our game up North has suffered.

Time to take a stand.

Join a growing number of Scottish Fans and cancel your Subscriptions today.

The number is 0344 261 0244

Let's make a change for the good of our game.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there so not sure if there are other threads on here that are covering this Topic?

If so I will apologise in advance.

If not then I think it's high time all of us got together on this issue of the Finances coming into our game or as the case is the lack of finances coming in to Scottish Football on the whole.

Now whilst SKY are not the only reason for the poor deal we recently secured they could well be a big part of the cure should it transpire?

I say this because we are all acutely aware of the poor approach to bartering by our Powers at be who ahem run our game?

Going into a Financial Meeting decrying your product is sh##e and on the verge of disaster was hardly ever going to secure us top Dollar from the likes of SKY was it?

That shambles aside the people at SKY have severely undervalued our product.

There are a great many articles backing this up on the net a quick Google will verify this.

SKY left the table laughing their ar## off as far as I can tell..they must have because they take over £500m a year in Subscriptions out of Scotland.

That's £2bn in 4 years.

The EPL deal recently signed raised £5bn for them of that SKY pay the lions share of £4.167bn

Sky offered us £15m per year for 80 odd games

The EPL Deal works out at £10m per match which for the Financial Geniuses out there means 2 EPL games are now worth £5m more than the entire SPFL Deal for the Year.

Not only that our £2bn mentioned earlier pays for almost half of it.

In effect folks Scottish SKY Subscription are paying for the EPL Gravy boat to keep sailing.

We have a choice in Scotland as Football Fans we can either carry on taking this sh##e or we can collectively send SKY and BT indirectly a very strong message.

If we that is those among us who Subscribe to SKY cancel in Large Numbers suddenly there is a rather large spanner in the SKY works.

They are reliant on Subscription without them the Bubble bursts and if the bubble burst then we come to the table with a much stronger hand in future.

If we don't then expect more of the same or as I suspect a lot worse to come.

We cannot rely on the Suits at Hampden they are next to useless.

I no longer subscribe to SKY that changed a very long time ago I could see what was happening they have monopolised our game and in doing so our game up North has suffered.

Time to take a stand.

Join a growing number of Scottish Fans and cancel your Subscriptions today.

The number is 0344 261 0244

Let's make a change for the good of our game.

:lol:

f**k off.

Clearly every single problem with the Scottish game is caused by the only company whos willing to put money into it, I support this campaign.

I have some sympathy with this. We all should have the choice to subscibe or not, depending on what we want to watch and what we can afford. But in reality we don't have much choice. If all you want to do is watch a bit of live Scottish football then you have to pay about £39 a month on subscriptions to Sky and BT Sports. I have a Sky Sports subscription, but don't watch very much English Premier League football anymore. I'd be happy enough to drop that from my subscription, but I can't. And from next season it gets worse. If I want to watch Champions League football from next season I'll have to get BT Sports as well. You could argue that this is simply what it costs, and either pay up or shut up, but I know that a very large proportion of what I'm paying for is EPL football. I tend to watch International football, Scottish football, European football, and tennis - but all of it is held under what it costs for the Premier League. I know that's there no equation here in which the cost of the EPL could simply be subtracted. But there's not options for me as a customer to pick and choose - and the only form of "competition" is only good for the products their buying, not the customers actually watching it.

Television money is important for Scottish clubs, if people lose all interest in watching the game on TV then it will damage Scottish football. I'm not making some dramatic claim about the end of Scottish football or anything like that, far from it. I'm just pointing out that a healthy TV audience is good for the game up here. It's good for all of our clubs, especially with the improved distribution of money we now have. Scottish football being buried under the money of, especially, English Premier League football isn't great for our clubs.

I hate this disparaging attitude as if no-one should want to watch Scottish football because it's inferior to other football available on TV. I like watching Scottish football, I even like watching the League One BBC Alba games. Why shouldn't I be interested in the competition that my club is involved in?

SKY put £15m into the Scottish Game for that they get 80 odd games a year to choose from.

Meanwhile take £475m out in Subscription to lavish on English Football.

They pay £20m for 2 games Down South which works out at £5m more than they "Invested" in our entire Season.

You think that's fine?

Do nothing then expect absolutely nothing to change.

Their League will just get stronger and stronger all the while Scottish Football will get further and further behind.

More fool you.

What do you thinks going to happen if we boycott Sky exactly? That they'll suddenly double how much they pay to show our games? As if theres a massive European audience who'll be gutted to see the end of Hamilton v St Mirren on a Friday night?

Why are you only comparing us to what the English league receives? How much does the Dutch league get? What about the MLS?

What do you thinks going to happen if we boycott Sky exactly? That they'll suddenly double how much they pay to show our games? As if theres a massive European audience who'll be gutted to see the end of Hamilton v St Mirren on a Friday night?

Why are you only comparing us to what the English league receives? How much does the Dutch league get? What about the MLS?

I think there is a point here, but it's only that Scottish football has very little negotiation room. Sky and BT know very well that they don't sell very many subscriptions on the basis of Scottish football alone. We might bring in a bit in terms of advertising, but subscriptions don't really need to be considered. If Sky lost a load of Scottish subscriptions for the reason that there wasn't enough Scottish football or that they didn't want to pay all that much just to watch the Scottish games, then that would put us in a better negotiating position (not going to happen though). The problem for Scottish football is that even those who enjoy watching it usually also watch English football. It basically means that they can undervalue us.

To put this in simple terms. On Sky Sports, the average English premier league game gets about 15x more viewers than the average Scottish Premiership game but gets about 50x more in terms of money. It's a shitty deal.

So Sky put more money into Scottish football than any of the other broadcasters yet they are the bad guys.

Sky aren't a charity. They aren't putting money into Scottish football as some sort of donation to a good cause. They have more money than the rest of the broadcasters, and they get a good deal. They don't put anything into Scottish football that they aren't getting a profit out of the other end of.

That being said, the BBC put more money into Gary Lineker than Scottish football. They all play to the biggest numbers.

No I don't think they will suddenly double how much we get in terms or their Investment.

That would be ridiculous.

What I would expect though is if enough Subscribers in Scotland cancel their Subscriptions and tell them why they are doing so at a certain point someone in charge will take notice and realise the meagre sums they have put on the table by comparison to other less glamorous Leagues across Europe is simply not good enough.

They know they take over £500m a year from Scottish Subscribers and yet they offered £15m a year in return to go towards our National Game.

Scottish Football may not have the same appeal and audience as the Big Leagues across Europe but per head of population it has one of the largest following in World Football.

That with a game that's been in decline for years as our neighbours across the Border has boomed.

If we choose to do nothing about it then expect nothing to change.

SKY use Football as a means to an end the EPL is their flagship hence why they plough so much into it, they have monopolised the game across the globe and Leagues like our own have suffered as a result.

If your that desperate to watch EPL Games them simply stream them from sites who do so for free.

That way you get your fix and SKY stillget's the message from up North.

Enough is enough we are no longer prepared to Subsidise your Gravy Train Lifestyle in England whilst our Clubs are rooting through the SKY bin for scraps.

Here's a few facts regarding the current deals across Football:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tv-crimes-how-scottish-football-5271308

"Just last month rugby league agreed a five-year deal with Sky for a whopping £200m – £25m more per season than the money Scottish football earns.

The latest available figures – 11/08/13 – show the sport attracts around 100,000 viewers, with the highest being the game against Hull KR and Hull FC which saw 150,000 people tuning in.

To put this in some perspective, Scottish football’s highest ratings during a similar period – 26/01/14 – saw 247,000 watch Hibs v Celtic.

....The Aviva Premiership last month announced a new deal with BT Sport that’s worth £38m a year – £23m more than Neil Doncaster and Co secured."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/state-of-scottish-football-does-the-tv-deal-represent-value-for-money.119853892

"Geographical proximity means England is the most obvious market to look at - especially when it is the same two broadcasters who are showing the majority of the matches - but it is something of a red herring when it comes to drawing comparisons given the vast disparity in population size.

Instead, for a more accurate take on whether the Scottish football deal represents value for money, it is perhaps more instructive to look at some examples of other small to medium-sized European nations and their football broadcasting contracts....

Greece population 11m Clubs in the Greek Super League will share €40m (£30m) per year until 2017, with a two-year extension being negotiated that could take that figure up to €43m (£31m) each season until 2019.

Belgium, where the population is roughly the same as that in Greece The Jupiler Pro League last year negotiated a six-year deal worth a minimum of €55m (£40m) per season, a sum that could rise as high as €70m (£50m) each year when foreign rights are taken into the equation. Like Scotland Belgium also shares a border with bigger, more prosperous nations in France and Germany without being similarly adversely affected.

Norway (population 5m) In the last round of deals, the two channels paid a total of 1.6bn Norwegian krone (around £135m, £34m per year) to show live matches from the Tippeligaen for four seasons of summer football from 2013 to 2016. That sum is expected to fall when the time comes for the next round of negotiations with reduced competition in the market due to C More's removal from the picture but will likely still dwarf what is on offer in Scotland.

Austria (population 8m) the figures are more in line with here. A three-year deal that began in season 2013/14 between Sky Deutschland (subscription) and ORF (free-to-air broadcaster) is thought to be worth around €20m (£15m) a year.

Holland (population 17m) In 2008, clubs in the Netherlands not happy with the offers on the table took over the broadcasting rights themselves to form an in-house subscription-only channel that showed all matches live. Rupert Murdoch's Fox Sports network bought them out five years later in a €1bn (£720m) 12-year deal that worked out at around €80m (£59m) per season

Any product is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it. Scottish football tv rights is no different.

No one forced the league to accept their offer, but they did, I assume because it was the best available.

That OP is pretty nuts tbh.

No I don't think they will suddenly double how much we get in terms or their Investment.

That would be ridiculous.

What I would expect though is if enough Subscribers in Scotland cancel their Subscriptions and tell them why they are doing so at a certain point someone in charge will take notice and realise the meagre sums they have put on the table by comparison to other less glamorous Leagues across Europe is simply not good enough.

They know they take over £500m a year from Scottish Subscribers and yet they offered £15m a year in return to go towards our National Game.

Scottish Football may not have the same appeal and audience as the Big Leagues across Europe but per head of population it has one of the largest following in World Football.

That with a game that's been in decline for years as our neighbours across the Border has boomed.

If we choose to do nothing about it then expect nothing to change.

SKY use Football as a means to an end the EPL is their flagship hence why they plough so much into it, they have monopolised the game across the globe and Leagues like our own have suffered as a result.

If your that desperate to watch EPL Games them simply stream them from sites who do so for free.

That way you get your fix and SKY stillget's the message from up North.

Enough is enough we are no longer prepared to Subsidise your Gravy Train Lifestyle in England whilst our Clubs are rooting through the SKY bin for scraps.

Here's a few facts regarding the current deals across Football:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tv-crimes-how-scottish-football-5271308

"Just last month rugby league agreed a five-year deal with Sky for a whopping £200m – £25m more per season than the money Scottish football earns.

The latest available figures – 11/08/13 – show the sport attracts around 100,000 viewers, with the highest being the game against Hull KR and Hull FC which saw 150,000 people tuning in.

To put this in some perspective, Scottish football’s highest ratings during a similar period – 26/01/14 – saw 247,000 watch Hibs v Celtic.

....The Aviva Premiership last month announced a new deal with BT Sport that’s worth £38m a year – £23m more than Neil Doncaster and Co secured."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/state-of-scottish-football-does-the-tv-deal-represent-value-for-money.119853892

"Geographical proximity means England is the most obvious market to look at - especially when it is the same two broadcasters who are showing the majority of the matches - but it is something of a red herring when it comes to drawing comparisons given the vast disparity in population size.

Instead, for a more accurate take on whether the Scottish football deal represents value for money, it is perhaps more instructive to look at some examples of other small to medium-sized European nations and their football broadcasting contracts....

Greece population 11m Clubs in the Greek Super League will share €40m (£30m) per year until 2017, with a two-year extension being negotiated that could take that figure up to €43m (£31m) each season until 2019.

Belgium, where the population is roughly the same as that in Greece The Jupiler Pro League last year negotiated a six-year deal worth a minimum of €55m (£40m) per season, a sum that could rise as high as €70m (£50m) each year when foreign rights are taken into the equation. Like Scotland Belgium also shares a border with bigger, more prosperous nations in France and Germany without being similarly adversely affected.

Norway (population 5m) In the last round of deals, the two channels paid a total of 1.6bn Norwegian krone (around £135m, £34m per year) to show live matches from the Tippeligaen for four seasons of summer football from 2013 to 2016. That sum is expected to fall when the time comes for the next round of negotiations with reduced competition in the market due to C More's removal from the picture but will likely still dwarf what is on offer in Scotland.

Austria (population 8m) the figures are more in line with here. A three-year deal that began in season 2013/14 between Sky Deutschland (subscription) and ORF (free-to-air broadcaster) is thought to be worth around €20m (£15m) a year.

Holland (population 17m) In 2008, clubs in the Netherlands not happy with the offers on the table took over the broadcasting rights themselves to form an in-house subscription-only channel that showed all matches live. Rupert Murdoch's Fox Sports network bought them out five years later in a €1bn (£720m) 12-year deal that worked out at around €80m (£59m) per season

You're deluded. You think if all the Scottish subscribers who are interested in football cancelled it would make a dent in Sky's profits?

Did Rupert Murdoch shag your wife? Or maybe the Sky guy when he was installing your dish had a fumble?

Archived