John Barnes - "It's cos I is black innit?"

I'm not sure if the problem is necessarily for Black managers to get managerial jobs, its probably more that it's difficult for anyone outside of the "old boys" network to get jobs. The question is why do the same old failures end up getting jobs again and again, and its probably because they have friends or connections to help them, which if you don't have (and equally white, black, chinese etc players may not have them) makes it harder for you to get in the door. The instances of a chairman taking a chance on an inexperienced manager aren't high and it takes a brave chairman to appooint and back one - regardless of what colour he is.

I'd still love to know what jobs Barnes has applied for, and what leave does he think he should be managing?

As far as I can tell, there is nothing to stop him from working in non league football, Wales, Scottish lower leagues, etc...

Paul ince, john Barnes, sol Campbell, el hadji diouf, all love to play the race card when the chips are down. Racist scum

For a moment I thought this was going to be the most racist version on the Norwegian commentator rant I'd seen in a while

A little off topic but I've always been surprised at the fact there is almost no players in England who are off Indian/Pakistani descent but consider themselves English given the massive immigration of the 60s and 70s.

I know cricket is their number one sport and this is seen in the current ECB set ups but there's not one, AFAIAA, ever made the step up to a decent level in football. Hopefully someone can correct me here??

A little off topic but I've always been surprised at the fact there is almost no players in England who are off Indian/Pakistani descent but consider themselves English given the massive immigration of the 60s and 70s.

can%20of%20worms.thumbnail.jpg

I know cricket is their number one sport and this is seen in the current ECB set ups but there's not one, AFAIAA, ever made the step up to a decent level in football. Hopefully someone can correct me here??

Michael Chopra

Ok and?

And what?, you said there wasn't one who made the step up to a decent level in football.

I've named you one. Michael Chopra.

I guess it also depends on your meaning of decent level.

And what?, you said there wasn't one who made the step up to a decent level in football.

I've named you one. Michael Chopra.

I guess it also depends on your meaning of decent level.

I wasn't having a pop at you. My initial post I said I may be corrected and have no issue with it. Was just asking the question is there anyone else?

There's a Pakistan international playing in the Welsh Premier(can't remember his name), that's about all that comes to mind. It is a bit strange, a lot of people of Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Indian descent are integrated to the point they identify pretty much solely as British, so you'd think a few more would have come through and got to a decent level.

I remember an article about this in When Saturday Comes (about twenty bloody years ago, FFS). IIRC, the conclusion they came to was that football is/was still seen as a pastime for caucasian racists, along with the cultural emphasis placed on mental rather than physical activities, and cricket being the sport of choice in Indian and Pakistani communities.

I think the first of those was seen to weigh heavily. Parents worried that their kids would be picked on (or worse) due to their ethnicity, which would then lead to kids being worried about it too (although no doubt it wouldn't be a theoretical worry for some).

I'd personally think that will have changed a lot in twenty years' time. But, then again, I thought the same when originally reading that article.

Totally on-topic considering those with a racist* agenda are fudging the figures by suggesting that the percentage of e.g. Indians/Pakistanis in English football compared to the Indian/Pakistani population is comparable to that of black people.

*or is it simply Hanlon's Razor?

To the original point about black managers in England I think the facts displayed in this thread prove that at the moment there is about the exact % of black managers in English football in relation to population.

Somebody please call the PFA and remind them that if they have a problem, just ask p&b!!

• 4 months later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34730265

The sackings of Chris Powell and Chris Ramsey were "disheartening", says anti-racism campaigner Troy Townsend.

Powell departed Huddersfield and Ramsey left QPR to leave four bosses of black and minority ethnic (BME) and Asian backgrounds in the top four leagues.

"To lose both managers sends out a really strong message to those aspiring to get on this journey," said Townsend.

But former Chelsea defender Frank Sinclair disagreed and called Townsend's claims "damaging".

Last week the Football Association's newly appointed BME boss Wayne Allison said he wanted to increase the number of black coaches.

But the sackings of both Powell and Ramsey within the space of a few hours on Tuesday left numbers at a low and could discourage black coaches, according to Townsend.

"People will look and think 'Is it worth it? Is it because of the colour of their skin? Or is it because they are bad managers?," Townsend told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I know people will say results are not right but there is a lot more to it than that.

"Today is disheartening without a doubt."

"I know people will say results are not right but there is a lot more to it than that.

I'm sick to death of the professional attention seekers coming out with their unsubstantiated shit stirring. Townsend should be made to back up what he's insinuating or withdraw the thinly disguised accusations of racism against Huddersfield and QPR. After all the guy's obviously got facts to enable him to make such derogatory statements...