Killie vs Motherwell

Brilliant result and performance again yesterday it's a pity County and Partick keep picking up points.

What was up with Marvin Johnson? I haven't seen or heard anything about it I take it he's injured?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant result and performance again yesterday it's a pity County and Partick keep picking up points.

What was up with Marvin Johnson? I haven't seen or heard anything about it I take it he's injured?

Barra mentioned that he had a slight strain and it wasn’t worth risking him in this match.

Barra mentioned that he had a slight strain and it wasn’t worth risking him in this match.

Right ok if he's not fit for Tuesday I'm the the play either of the Thomas' camp rather than play Grant wide again

Decided the watch the alba highlights since I was pretty pissed at the game and wanted to remind myself. Lee Erwin was fucking dynamite there was so much good stuff he did in that game from running with the ball, link up play esp for our first goal, tracking back, bullying defenders, winning corners etc. Aye his decisions weren't always the right ones but that will come. The alba highlights was like an agents video for him. He actually reminds me a wee but of Suarez get him sorted with a new deal please.

Other than that George Long was flapping worse than Id remembered But id stick with him as the rest of the defence look much more assured with him that they did with Dan.

Decided the watch the alba highlights since I was pretty pissed at the game and wanted to remind myself. Lee Erwin was fucking dynamite there was so much good stuff he did in that game from running with the ball, link up play esp for our first goal, tracking back, bullying defenders, winning corners etc. Aye his decisions weren't always the right ones but that will come. The alba highlights was like an agents video for him. He actually reminds me a wee but of Suarez get him sorted with a new deal please.

Other than that George Long was flapping worse than Id remembered But id stick with him as the rest of the defence look much more assured with him that they did with Dan.

He's a good player and all, but you need to take a step back from the mescaline.

Jeezo chill pill you two his direct running style with the ball reminds me of Suarez that's all. The boys got a long long way to go but he had a cracking game on Saturday

Eta I should have worded the original post better

Just caught the highlights there. The Killie goal - oh dear. Not great form Long, I remain to be convinced of him, but would persist with him for now. Defence seems happier with him in goals rather than Twardzik.

The first goal sums up everything that's changed for Motherwell in the last couple of months. Good hold-up play from McDonald, good skill and decision from Erwin (the latter is great to see), and a midfielder running into the box and finishing off a move. Delighted for Pearo, excellent way to celebrate his new contract.

Erwin's goal was fantastic too, hopefully that goal gives him a real boost and he can chip in with a few more before the end of the season. I was fairly critical of him a few weeks back (although not as bad as some others were), but that's the kind of play we want to see. A great piece of play, and a great finish.

Looking forward to Tuesday now. A win for us all but relegates St. Mirren, and with Partick away to Celtic the following night, it can get us to within 4 points of them ahead of our visit to Firhill on Saturday.

Erwin's goal was fantastic too, hopefully that goal gives him a real boost and he can chip in with a few more before the end of the season. I was fairly critical of him a few weeks back (although not as bad as some others were), but that's the kind of play we want to see. A great piece of play, and a great finish.

I'm hopeful that actually getting a goal (and a winner in a tight game especially) will take a bit of pressure of him and allow him to make some better decisions. He is great at getting himself into good positions and numerous times over the past few weeks, he's taken the wrong option. I've not been critical of him at all as he is still very inexperienced (given the amount of time he's been injured) but I think he is a long way from the finished article. Both he and Marvin Johnson have a lot of raw potential that if handled right could make us a few quid in the future...

On the goalkeeper thing, it's a howler no doubt and not the first from Long.

However here's the league record under Baraclough from him taking over until the end of the Jan transfer window and since the new players have come in, it's an almost equal, though nevertheless fairly small, sample size:

13th December - Baraclough takes over. Black in charge vs Ross County 2-2 draw.

up til end of transfer window:

P W D L F A Pts

8 2 1 5 5 19 7

post-window (Twardzik out, Long In, 1st game 3-2 defeat to County)

P W D L F A Pts

7 3 1 3 12 9 10

So under Baraclough we've gone from conceding 2.3 goals per game with Dan in goal to 1.2 with Long. Obviously there are caveats aplenty that affect this as far as the players in front of him go but given that this is a short term thing and the objective is to stay up then it'd seem mental to change what is by all accounts an increasingly settled side, albeit one with a defence that remains unconvincing. It'd be different if we had a stand out keeper waiting in the wings but given that Dan's as much of a bombscare as anyone and the very fact that Baraclough felt the need to bring in someone to replace him then that says a lot.

Really made up for Erwin, hopefully he'll kick on with that goal and the systems we're playing look to play to his strengths and get the best out of him rather than reverting to nominally sticking him out wide as a winger.

On the goalkeeper thing, it's a howler no doubt and not the first from Long.

However here's the league record under Baraclough from him taking over until the end of the Jan transfer window and since the new players have come in, it's an almost equal, though nevertheless fairly small, sample size

Hard to compare with Long having played very few games, however, I am not convinced about the lad and I fear he could cost us when it matters most.

Good post Capt. Oats - I also think there was a point a few games back (probably from the ICT game where McDonald came in) where the team became genuinely settled for the first time this season and I think that has real benefits and we should largely stick with our current first choice 11, including Long - as I agree that we don't have a proven better option waiting in the wings.

Archived